Can you access OK Google from the lock screen with just your voice like other Samsungs?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Only if you add the option to Unlock with Voice to 'OK Google' on Assistant. Otherwise it works only when the phone is unlocked.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
All the options are there to do it, but it doesn't work. Phone has to be unlocked.

I just tried it and if I set it up as Trusted Voice, it does work. The device has to be awake, though, for it to work. The only way it works when the screen is off (or AOD is active) is if the device is charging.

Vipmediastar

Apr 11, 2017
Visit site
I hope it works. Ok google saved my life once. Ok not really but I was under the car trying to install a hitch. I needed help and I Ok google to call for help and help arrived. I truly hope i can use it while the phone is locked. If not ill share this story with samsung

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I hope it works. Ok google saved my life once. Ok not really but I was under the car trying to install a hitch. I needed help and I Ok google to call for help and help arrived. I truly hope i can use it while the phone is locked. If not ill share this story with samsung

You can't. If the phone is locked and not plugged in/charging, OK Google does not work. And I don't think that's a Samsung thing, AFAIK that's also how it worked on the LG G4 and V20. If the phone is locked but the screen is on (lockscreen), then OK Google will work IF you set it as a Trusted Voice to unlock your phone with your command.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Ah, OK. In that case, yeah, OK Google still works on your watch and making calls go through directly. But unless you set the watch to unlock your phone, opening an app on your phone will still require you to unlock it first.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
As my user name suggests, I'm not tech savvy, I'm having the same issue, how do you add the option to unlock with Voice to OK Google?

No problem! That's what we're here for! ;)

To do that, you can open the Google Search app (or Assistant, but the one that shows up full screen, not the voice prompt). There go to the menu button, then Settings. Under the Google Assistant section, select Settings (yes, again, I know... stoopid Boogle), then find 'Phone' under Devices, and then go to "OK Google" detection.

There you will need to do two things to enable that. 1, enable the first switch to Say OK Google at any time (this means your phone will always be listening, so bear that in mind because it also means more battery consumption). 2, enable the switch to make OK Google a 'trusted voice'. That's it!

Alternatively, you can go to your phone's Settings, find the Lock Screen and Security section, then Smart Lock (it'll ask you to enter your secure password) and then Trusted Voice. This will take you to the same OK Google detection menu above, so the same two switches need to be activated.

Hope it helps!

techsavynot

Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
No problem! That's what we're here for! ;)

To do that, you can open the Google Search app (or Assistant, but the one that shows up full screen, not the voice prompt). There go to the menu button, then Settings. Under the Google Assistant section, select Settings (yes, again, I know... stoopid Boogle), then find 'Phone' under Devices, and then go to "OK Google" detection.

There you will need to do two things to enable that. 1, enable the first switch to Say OK Google at any time (this means your phone will always be listening, so bear that in mind because it also means more battery consumption). 2, enable the switch to make OK Google a 'trusted voice'. That's it!

Alternatively, you can go to your phone's Settings, find the Lock Screen and Security section, then Smart Lock (it'll ask you to enter your secure password) and then Trusted Voice. This will take you to the same OK Google detection menu above, so the same two switches need to be activated.

Hope it helps!

Hi SpookDroid, thanks for that, but I have actually done all of that a number of times and do currently have those switches on, but I still can't wake my phone up with Ok Google when my screen is off :(

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, should have clarified. Google in non-Nexus/Pixel phones, I believe, can only unlock the phone, not wake it up, so the screen has to be on (but the phone can be locked) for it to work. I remember that at one point it was possible as long as the phone was plugged in to power, but that might have changed, not sure.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, should have clarified. Google in non-Nexus/Pixel phones, I believe, can only unlock the phone, not wake it up, so the screen has to be on (but the phone can be locked) for it to work. I remember that at one point it was possible as long as the phone was plugged in to power, but that might have changed, not sure.

One of Samsungs older phones could do it, possibly the Note 4, then they released a software update breaking it.

You can wake the phones with S Voice, but no one likes S Voice.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site

Yes, used to work when phone was on charger but not anymore... At least not on my S8. Have to be on the lock screen for my OK Google to unlock it. Wish it worked from my AOD screen. Oh well. Wonder why that changed?