Can you access OK Google from the lock screen with just your voice like other Samsungs?

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I would think running voice recognition 100% of the time would tank a phones battery. It was probably shelved in android 7.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I would think running voice recognition 100% of the time would tank a phones battery. It was probably shelved in android 7.

I've used trusted voice before and it didn't affect me much regarding my battery life. I'm not a power user though. Just really like the convenience of it.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
No, totally separate. OK Google and Bixby work. I just can't get Google to work on AOD.

Must have mine set up incorrectly then. If I use Bixby voice then try OK Google right after, OK Google won't work until I go into settings and re-enable. Will give it another try. I can still long press home button for Google. Just no voice activation.

sll1313

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
You can't. If the phone is locked and not plugged in/charging, OK Google does not work. And I don't think that's a Samsung thing, AFAIK that's also how it worked on the LG G4 and V20. If the phone is locked but the screen is on (lockscreen), then OK Google will work IF you set it as a Trusted Voice to unlock your phone with your command.

Unfortunately you're information is incorrect. I own the V20 and have it enabled to wake up even if my screen is off. There is a option above Trusted Voice that states to listen to "Ok Google" from anywhere including your screen being off. If that is checked it works. It also works very well. I happened to notice this discussion because I'm interested in getting the Note 8. I hope Samsung didn't mess with something because if Bixby. I have no problem in trying Bixby and if I like it I will use it, but they shouldn't pigeon hold us to using just that. So if it doesn't work it definitely is a Samsung thing and only a recent one because I know it works on the Note 4 and S6 edge. Now I have some serious thinking if I still want to upgrade. This is just another con, but there are plenty of pros. I hope this helps.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately you're information is incorrect. I own the V20 and have it enabled to wake up even if my screen is off. There is a option above Trusted Voice that states to listen to "Ok Google" from anywhere including your screen being off. If that is checked it works. It also works very well. I happened to notice this discussion because I'm interested in getting the Note 8. I hope Samsung didn't mess with something because if Bixby. I have no problem in trying Bixby and if I like it I will use it, but they shouldn't pigeon hold us to using just that. So if it doesn't work it definitely is a Samsung thing and only a recent one because I know it works on the Note 4 and S6 edge. Now I have some serious thinking if I still want to upgrade. This is just another con, but there are plenty of pros. I hope this helps.

I stand corrected then. When I used the G4 and V20 (briefly) it didn't unless I connected it to power, and then it went away on the V20. I guess they brought it back for some devices? For the S8 I can confirm that it doesn't, not even plugged in. No reason to assume the Note 8 would be any different.

wildta2000

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
For the S8 I can confirm that it doesn't, not even plugged in. No reason to assume the Note 8 would be any different.
I also confirmed this on my S8. If display is off or on AOD, OK GOOGLE will not unlock phone. If display is on but locked, OK GOOGLE will unlock my phone and begin accepting a command.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I stand corrected then. When I used the G4 and V20 (briefly) it didn't unless I connected it to power, and then it went away on the V20. I guess they brought it back for some devices? For the S8 I can confirm that it doesn't, not even plugged in. No reason to assume the Note 8 would be any different.

It's been there since day one on my TMobile v20. I was wondering if Samsung allowed this on their phones yet but i guess not. Bummer.

Indecisi0n

Sep 10, 2017
Visit site
I wish we had this feature. It's must be turned off some way in the software. The weird part is the new Note does it so maybe with the next software upgrade they will allow this on the s8.

Shark1222

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I believe it's due to the version of Android as this works fine on the Note 8 which comes with a later version of Nougat. Possible workaround until the update rolls out would be to ask Bixby to open up Google so you don't have to touch your phone.