09-20-2018 03:35 AM
777 ... 1819202122 ...
tools
    Oh yes, you're absolutely right on this. The problem is not on the phone, i dont plan on exchanging it. The problem is with me. I have been trying to identify it with my s7 edge and now with my s8+.
    And if you can solve this mystery for me, if you can help me reach a solid 6 hours SOT on my new phone, I will take a plane ticket to fly wherever you live in the world, and I will clean your dishes and tie your shoelaces until the end of 2017. You have my word.
    Do you have AOD enabled? If yes, turn it off to start. Turning off AOD for me added about 1h of total active runtime as AOD was draining the battery a lot when the phone is in standby.

Besides this, you may want to clear the cache of Google Play Services, and also go into system restore mode and clear the cache from there. Finally, toggle auto-brightness off and on just to make sure the slider has reset to out of the box settings.
    05-03-2017 09:09 AM
    I tried to leave the brightness on manual at 35% for a full day, didn't help.
    When Wifi is on all day, i seem to get an extra 30 mins of sot compared to 4g only.
    Then your signal is indeed draining your battery, maybe not as much to being the only reason but considerable. That gets me to this question, are you using a carrier specific phone? I remember a girl from Australia that is no longer here on Android Central and she basically had your same issue for years, in a summary her carrier had some issues with some bands and when getting an Unlocked phone the constant switching between bands, frequencies and between 4G and 3G (No LTE concept in that Region) was killing her battery just like yours.

Last time I heard from her I suggested her to try flashing other region's firmware and it worked better for a while, then the carrier made some more adjustments and she needed to get back to her carrier's firmware and was working better again.

I can see that in most of your screenshots you are having signal issues and even Roaming, that alone my friend will never be good for you.
    05-03-2017 09:17 AM
    Then your signal is indeed draining your battery, maybe not as much to being the only reason but considerable. That gets me to this question, are you using a carrier specific phone? I remember a girl from Australia that is no longer here on Android Central and she basically had your same issue for years, in a summary her carrier had some issues with some bands and when getting an Unlocked phone the constant switching between bands, frequencies and between 4G and 3G (No LTE concept in that Region) was killing her battery just like yours.

Last time I heard from her I suggested her to try flashing other region's firmware and it worked better for a while, then the carrier made some more adjustments and she needed to get back to her carrier's firmware and was working better again.

I can see that in most of your screenshots you are having signal issues and even Roaming, that alone my friend will never be good for you.
    Thanks, I've just done everything you've mentioned about the cash hoping that this will solve my problems. I really appreciate your help.

What you say about the carrier is actually very interesting. Maybe this is the source of my problem since I've been using that sim card for ever.

I bought my phone on samsung, carrier free. Its the 955 exynos model. I live in belgium but i use my french sim card (SFR) since i have a very advantageous plan that lets me roam and call unlimited anywhere around the world. I guess this could be my issue. Any idea how I could find out ? Maybe change the automatically select network to manual ? Or maybe try another sim card to see if the problem continues ?

Thanks in advance for your help
    05-03-2017 10:07 AM
    First thing and easiest one to try would be just getting a new SIM card from your carrier.

Second, go to the firmware page of Sammobile, if you don't know, you should know learn how to flash a new Rom on your Galaxy, they have all the information you need, but basically you'll need good drivers and the latest Odin version. Then look at this link (assuming your phone's model is the S8 SM-G950F) or here (if it's the S8+ SM-G955F) and I'd say that you download the firmware for the exact region you are, that should allow for the phone to activate the correct bands available in your area, but given the information that you are currently using a French carrier sim card I really don't know if it will be better for you to download and use one from any France carrier instead, that my friend will be your task, we can't help you on it.

I think you have some options and like I said, based on previous experiences with people with problems somehow similar to yours, flashing other ROMS help a lot.

**NOTE** if you are going to do this, please, read well all the instructions plus I'd advise you to go to xdadevelopers forums and look for all the threads about how to flash so you have all the basic knowledge before you even try it, not that hard once you have the basics of it.
    05-03-2017 10:18 AM
    Did a quick test, YouTube playback, 4K content (maxes out at 1440p on this phone), 60fps. Auto brightness in a dark room and a full brightness tests averaged out, video expanded to fill the screen and video enhancer enabled. All other apps except YouTube shut down. I purposely watched a very bright, vibrant clip found here to see what would be worst case drain while using YouTube. Drain is somewhere between 2% to 2.5% per 10 minutes of playback, or 12% to 15% per hour. This gives roughly 6.5-8.5h of continuous YouTube playback. I am using Snapdragon version of the S8+ .

So, for those that claim that they are intense users because they watch YouTube, unless all your content is exactly like the above, which it 100% is not, you're eating through a lot less battery than you think. Sure, YouTube can be draining, but it is only so in pretty extreme circumstances.

So yeah, I stick by what I said before. With mixed moderate to heavy use the normal battery life for the Snapdragon version of the S8+, assuming good signal and no WiFi use is probably between 5h-6h of SOT, and about 15-16h of total time on. It's okay, but nothing to write home about. Those seeing substantially better numbers have a usage pattern that can extend the battery life a lot more. It is not related to superior battery capacity of the S8+.
    Most of my usage is Google chrome and Facebook. Probably two of the biggest battery hogs in android land. With those apps I see 5.5 to 6hrs. With lighter use I've seen as high as 7 personally. I can certainly see getting more under different circumstances. Under same usage patterns my v10 struggled to get 2.5hrs. My G4 pretty regularly got 3 to 4. My Note 4 got 4.5 to 5 (6 was max I ever got with it). In comparison to my devices going back several years, the S8 plus is amazing. If you have experience with another HIGH END flagship level device besting the S8 plus id like to know what device it is.
    05-03-2017 02:29 PM
    Oh yes, you're absolutely right on this. The problem is not on the phone, i dont plan on exchanging it. The problem is with me. I have been trying to identify it with my s7 edge and now with my s8+.
    And if you can solve this mystery for me, if you can help me reach a solid 6 hours SOT on my new phone, I will take a plane ticket to fly wherever you live in the world, and I will clean your dishes and tie your shoelaces until the end of 2017. You have my word.
    OK
    It all depends on how you use your phone and on signal strength
    I unplugged my phone about 4 hours ago and watch a movie on my video player (MX Player pro) the movie was 2 hours, then I talked on the phone for 10 min... Then I read for another hour
    (Play books by Google)
    When I checked my stats I had 3 hours on screen time and the phone was at 80%
    So logic would tell you, if I did this for the whole day I would get 15 hours SOT
    I have full signal strength (5 bars)
    Keep my phone on wqhd + and have always on display on since day one and play video at full brightness (rest of the time, I keep auto brightness)
    Play book I use on black background and sepia letters,(easier on my eyes and more battery efficient)
    On the other hand I'm pretty sure if I download 10 torrents(movies) at the same time and play a battery depleting game all at the same time I would run through a full charge in Less than 4 hours... So what I'm saying is if you use your s8+ for normal use...(wich I understand is different for everyone) this phone should give you 12 hours SOT easy... If not... Your phone is defective (provided of course you have full signal
    Attached Thumbnails Galaxy S8 / S8 + Battery Life Thread-1795.jpg  
    05-03-2017 02:37 PM
    Battery
    Attached Thumbnails Galaxy S8 / S8 + Battery Life Thread-1796.jpg  
    05-03-2017 02:45 PM
    Bat
    Attached Thumbnails Galaxy S8 / S8 + Battery Life Thread-1797.jpg  
    05-03-2017 02:46 PM
    Is this normal?s8
    05-03-2017 02:51 PM
    Dude, battery anxiety is a serious disease. Dont underestimate our condition. We need serious help.
    I feel for you
    I have the same condition
    I've been late to work because I won't leave the house until my s8+ has 100% charge 😩
    dejanh likes this.
    05-03-2017 03:03 PM
    Most of my usage is Google chrome and Facebook. Probably two of the biggest battery hogs in android land. With those apps I see 5.5 to 6hrs. With lighter use I've seen as high as 7 personally. I can certainly see getting more under different circumstances. Under same usage patterns my v10 struggled to get 2.5hrs. My G4 pretty regularly got 3 to 4. My Note 4 got 4.5 to 5 (6 was max I ever got with it). In comparison to my devices going back several years, the S8 plus is amazing. If you have experience with another HIGH END flagship level device besting the S8 plus id like to know what device it is.
    I already posted this earlier, but yes, I do. S7 Edge and iPhone 7 Plus both have better battery life for me. S7 Edge is only marginally better and the iPhone is substantially better.
    05-03-2017 03:05 PM
    OK
    It all depends on how you use your phone and on signal strength
    I unplugged my phone about 4 hours ago and watch a movie on my video player (MX Player pro) the movie was 2 hours, then I talked on the phone for 10 min... Then I read for another hour
    (Play books by Google)
    When I checked my stats I had 3 hours on screen time and the phone was at 80%
    So logic would tell you, if I did this for the whole day I would get 15 hours SOT
    I have full signal strength (5 bars)
    Keep my phone on wqhd + and have always on display on since day one and play video at full brightness (rest of the time, I keep auto brightness)
    Play book I use on black background and sepia letters,(easier on my eyes and more battery efficient)
    On the other hand I'm pretty sure if I download 10 torrents(movies) at the same time and play a battery depleting game all at the same time I would run through a full charge in Less than 4 hours... So what I'm saying is if you use your s8+ for normal use...(wich I understand is different for everyone) this phone should give you 12 hours SOT easy... If not... Your phone is defective (provided of course you have full signal
    Your post makes me so sad.... Im doomed.
    05-03-2017 03:13 PM
    I'm going to make two tests in the next two days.
    Tomorrow I will turn my sync off to see if the drain could come from the sync.
    The day after I will put a new SIM card to see if it's carrier related. Lets hope I can finally find out why.

Any one here can report battery life with exynos ?
    05-03-2017 03:44 PM
    I already posted this earlier, but yes, I do. S7 Edge and iPhone 7 Plus both have better battery life for me. S7 Edge is only marginally better and the iPhone is substantially better.
    Do you have a good signal where you are? Are u using an old Sim card?
    Because this seems impossible to me
    My girlfriend has a iPhone 7 plus and she's always runs out of juice by the time we get home.. I'm about 50% at the same time
    Just look at this
    05-03-2017 03:44 PM
    Do you have a good signal where you are? Are u using an old Sim card?
    Because this seems impossible to me
    My girlfriend has a iPhone 7 plus and she's always runs out of juice by the time we get home.. I'm about 50% at the same time
    Just look at this
    Signal isnt great I guess. 2-4 bars but most of the time I'm on wife. Also it's important to mention that I'm roaming 24hrs a day 7 days a week cause I use a foreign card with an advantageous plan. Sik card is 1 or 2 years old.
    I can't accept that it sffects my batrery, but to the point of having 4 hours sot as opposed to 8? That seems a bit much no ?
    05-03-2017 03:51 PM
    I don't use Apple products but many friends and family do. And if you tell any of them that iPhones get great battery life they'll think your confused. My in laws love their iPhones but told me they miss the battery life they used to get from the Note 5 they had before it. My co workers all use battery "cases" to keep it going through the day, or they always need to bump charge it during lunch. My in laws have the 7 Plus btw
    05-03-2017 04:18 PM
    I don't use Apple products but many friends and family do. And if you tell any of them that iPhones get great battery life they'll think your confused. My in laws love their iPhones but told me they miss the battery life they used to get from the Note 5 they had before it. My co workers all use battery "cases" to keep it going through the day, or they always need to bump charge it during lunch. My in laws have the 7 Plus btw
    Exactly
    05-03-2017 04:48 PM
    Signal isnt great I guess. 2-4 bars but most of the time I'm on wife. Also it's important to mention that I'm roaming 24hrs a day 7 days a week cause I use a foreign card with an advantageous plan. Sik card is 1 or 2 years old.
    I can't accept that it sffects my batrery, but to the point of having 4 hours sot as opposed to 8? That seems a bit much no ?
    I think all that roaming, maybe the SIM from a different network is causing the problem
    05-03-2017 05:01 PM
    Nah, I've owned as many iPhones as I have Androids and that's a lot. Regular size iPhones I always found have pretty poor battery life but the Plus size are fantastic. My iPhone 7 Plus was better than my s8 Plus I'm using now for sure. I get 4.5hrs S.O.T on average with my s8 Plus (that seems to be slowly rising as more and more apps are optimised) and that's pretty much in keeping with my s7 edge from last year too. I'm a heavy user and do lots of browsing, music streaming, instant messaging, social media apps and taking photos etc etc through the day. I don't really turn anything off and use everything as it was designed to be used.
    dejanh likes this.
    05-03-2017 05:10 PM
    Nah, I've owned as many iPhones as I have Androids and that's a lot. Regular size iPhones I always found have pretty poor battery life but the Plus size are fantastic. My iPhone 7 Plus was better than my s8 Plus I'm using now for sure. I get 4.5hrs S.O.T on average with my s8 Plus (that seems to be slowly rising as more and more apps are optimised) and that's pretty much in keeping with my s7 edge from last year too. I'm a heavy user and do lots of browsing, music streaming, instant messaging, social media apps and taking photos etc etc through the day. I don't really turn anything off and use everything as it was designed to be used.
    Exactly. People are too quick to associate the iPhone to the non-Plus size. The regular iPhone has terrible battery life. Plus series has fantastic battery life. To also answer a comment/question from another member earlier, no, I do not have poor signal. I have very good signal in all places I frequent. For my usage pattern the S8+ does not get great battery life.
    05-03-2017 05:20 PM
    my girlfriend has an iPhone 7 plus and She's barely getting half the battery I get on my s8+
    Plus all the comparisons I've seen point ti the s8+ having a much better battery life
    Here's one
    05-03-2017 05:40 PM
    my girlfriend has an iPhone 7 plus and She's barely getting half the battery I get on my s8+
    Plus all the comparisons I've seen point ti the s8+ having a much better battery life
    Here's one
    The iPhone 7 battery is only 1,960 mAh. Apple was cheap and put a dinky battery in the phone. Lol. I can't believe people line up for that. Blows my mind. Smallest battery in the industry among top phones.

You have to ask is an iPhone even a top phone? I really don't think so. It's perceived as one but it's not. A mid level phone. I'd compare it with the BLU brand of androids. A fairer comparison. Problem is the price people pay is premium price. Can you say ripoff?
    05-03-2017 05:47 PM
    The iPhone 7 battery is only 1,960 mAh. Apple was cheap and put a dinky battery in the phone. Lol. I can't believe people line up for that. Blows my mind. Smallest battery in the industry among top phones.

You have to ask is an iPhone even a top phone? I really don't think so. It's perceived as one but it's not. A mid level phone. I'd compare it with the BLU brand of androids. A fairer comparison. Problem is the price people pay is premium price. Can you say ripoff?
    I agree with you on the specs and ecosystem where you have to pay for everything
    But I think the main thing is the marketing, what Apple has done to propell that iphone brand is amazing to the point that a lot of people don't even care (my girlfriend included) what capabilities or specs the phone has
    All they care about is that it has the little apple on its back, I tried to get her to switch to a s8+ and she said if it didn't have the apple in the back, she wouldn't

It's a name thing with most people who buy iPhones
    Today's iPhones is at least 2 or 3 years behind industry standards, compared to most flagship phones
    BUT... BRAND wise, NAME wise
    The iPhone is 5 years ahead of every other smartphone
    That's just reality
    05-03-2017 06:13 PM
    By far the best battery life of any phone I've ever had. Of course it may be a different story by the time I upgrade to the Note 8. Battery life is always great at the beginning. From the phones I have had it ends up being about half by the time I get rid of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Galaxy S8 / S8 + Battery Life Thread-20198.jpg  
    05-03-2017 07:48 PM
    15 hrs!!! Whoa!
    Attached Thumbnails Galaxy S8 / S8 + Battery Life Thread-20197.jpg  
    05-03-2017 07:49 PM
777 ... 1819202122 ...