Galaxy S8 / S8 + Battery Life Thread

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Had my S8+ since Thursday and anecdotally I'd say the battery is no better or worse than the S7E it replaced, which in truth I'm ok with.

For normal day to day use it cannot get near my IP7+ but it is ok and I am never that far away from a wireless charging pad.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Had my S8+ since Thursday and anecdotally I'd say the battery is no better or worse than the S7E it replaced, which in truth I'm ok with.

For normal day to day use it cannot get near my IP7+ but it is ok and I am never that far away from a wireless charging pad.

Yesterday was my first real day of use since getting the phone Friday. I have great LTE signal pretty much everywhere and WiFi all day at work. This usage included some pictures, calls, tapatalk, etc, and overall day to day use. Im happy with it needless to say. I took it off the charger at 6:30 am.

S8+
Screenshot_20170424-212645.jpg

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
My daily screen on time has been great but overnight standby (which I just tried) is actually pretty poor. Went to bed at 11pm. Sat phone on nightstand and didn't touch it. Battery was at 42 percent. Woke up at 9am with battery at 25 percent. That's actually worse than I got with my V10. I got crap SoT with V10 but overnight standby saw me lose very little battery. Hopefully this gets improved with an update.

Arsenio Martins

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
What's a good app that can monitor battery use? First few days seems like I got great battery life. It's still good but not as great as before.

I'm wondering if I've downloaded something that is draining it in the background since the first few days I've had it.

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
First day mostly Wi-Fi, 8 hours SOT, yesterday was 6.5 hours SOT half Wi-Fi half LTE. So far today, 2 hours SOT and 74% left.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
The reviewers who talked about okay battery life, I just don't know where they got that from. I have never had a phone that has as good a battery life as my S8 Plus. Currently this morning I have been using my phone without turning it off for exactly 10 minutes. So far it is still at 100%. Actually now that it's gone to 11 minutes, it has gone down 1%. One freaking percent in 11 minutes! That means after one hour at this rate, I will have lost about 6%. My S7 Edge typically lost 12% in an hour. That means I'm getting about double the battery life. Although I haven't yet run this one down to 0 to see how much actual screen on time I get, if I was getting 4 hours on the S7 Edge and this one seems to be doubling the battery life, then I completely expect that I also will get 7 to 8 hours screen on time.
You should try an iPhone 7 Plus...you might lose 3-4% per hour.

This is pretty much the truth. The only difference for me is that I hate topping up the phone. I am so busy as-is. I don't need another thing to think about. Samsung needs to reign in battery consumption, especially standby. That and the OLED screens are so power hungry when not on black it's unreal. Sometimes I feel like I have a plasma screen built into my phone. :D

Last edited:

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I found my phone's Achilles heal. Streaming music through Bluetooth. It's not so bad when I play the music saved to my phone but I've been streaming today and it's destroying my battery.

steven Hadjez

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I love my new s8+ but i have to say that the battery so far has just been TERRIBLE. I get awful results compared to you. I barely get over 3 hours of sot and I'm not that much of heavy user. I don't play any games on the phone, i have a minimum of app installed.
Today I tried to:
Turn on WiFi as much as possible
Turn off completely all locations
Turn off aod
Turn off haptic feedback
Turn off auto brightness and i stayed at 30% all day even when i couldn't see anything outside !
And the result are just ridiculously bad. I unplugged at 8am and by 7pm i had less than 10% and only 3h30 of sot. Which is the most I've ever gotten so far. So now it's either:
1) one of you explain to me what I'm doing and why i only get 3h30 of sot while most of you are averaging 7 hours with a higher resolution, brightness and all the settings on? Some of you even get to 8 hours with qhd screen on.
2) i will just consider that all of you are paid by Samsung to leave fake reviews about the battery (cause at this point I'm so shocked when i compare your results to mine that i don't done what to say)

And i really hope that someone will prove me wrong, because i will be eternally grateful if i can reach 5hrs of sot at least !

P.s. no i don't suffer of battery anxiety 

a1052b6e537af6730887442117bda7d2.jpg

7ed7477095003675057f81f9562b6432.jpg

Joe J1

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Your android system and os seem to be too high. Taking as much battery as your screen. Did you do a fresh install or use something like smart switch to move your info onto your new phone? You seem to have bad reception also

steven Hadjez

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
It could be your network signal going from your screenshot. The phone would be working harder to keep hold of signal.
It was just in that screenshot (i was in the toilet )
And I'm connected to WiFi 80% of the day. I thought about this too at first but i see that some of the people in here have 8 hours sot and 5 on days with bad signal and no WiFi. Still far from everyone.

steven Hadjez

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Your android system and os seem to be too high. Taking as much battery as your screen. Did you do a fresh install or use something like smart switch to move your info onto your new phone? You seem to have bad reception also
I thought so too ! But how can i fix this ?
Yes, i did a fresh install. The only link to my past on this new phone is that installed a couple of apps to sync with my icloud contacts and calendar.
Im so sad about my sot
About the signal, I've spent days at home without leaving my WiFi and 5 bars, and still bad bad bateru

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox