Galaxy S8 / S8 + Battery Life Thread

steven Hadjez

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Well got my best sot today. I'm absolutely blown away with this battery. 9hrs sot is ridiculous and about 3 times as good as my s7 edge. I also had almost an hour of phone calls too. This is with wqhd, sync, WiFi, Bluetooth, and high accuracy location on
Guys how much does Samsung pay you all to post 9 hours sot ?!!!
I have a brand new s8 plus with most of the features of and best i get is 3h45 sot

steven Hadjez

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Well it's $55 for every Super positive comment. If it's only somewhat positive, they deduct $20 and it comes out to $35. But on weekends, you get time and a half. Oh and the paid vacation, let's not forget the paid vacation. The only bummer is that the vacation always has to be taken in Korea.
Well in that case, I've been meaning to tell you guys that i havent charged my phone in 4 days and I'm getting close to 21 hours of screen time !

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I have my S8+ set to 720p and optimized for battery life. I am getting a consistent 8 hours SOT everyday. Display is set to 40% as that is plenty bright enough for me.
The battery life on this phone is amazing :)

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Well it's $55 for every Super positive comment. If it's only somewhat positive, they deduct $20 and it comes out to $35. But on weekends, you get time and a half. Oh and the paid vacation, let's not forget the paid vacation. The only bummer is that the vacation always has to be taken in Korea.

South Korea........the north is a no go :)

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Well in that case, I've been meaning to tell you guys that i havent charged my phone in 4 days and I'm getting close to 21 hours of screen time !

LMAO!!!

I don't get the huge screen time some of the Samsung employees do :D, however this phone does meet my needs? Does yours?

If it does then great, I wouldn't worry about it much. If it doesn't have you posted the battery screen shot with the app listed on it so we can look and see what may be using your battery? Also you might want to clear cache, it doesn't reset anything if you follow the direction completely.

It looks like this:

Screenshot_20170424-225901.jpg

Arsenio Martins

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
The other day I got about 3.5 to 4 hours of SOT which was slot less than the first day, in which I had power saving settings set to mid and 50% brightness and got 5 hours with juice left over.

Yesterday I set the power saving back to mid and used it all day and streaming at the gym for about an hour, GPS for about an hour and streaming podcasts in the car. By midnight I still had about 30% left and was already at about 5 hours of SOT.

That tells me there is definitely something running in the background in one of my apps since I believe one setting in the mid power saving mode is no background data use.

I would like to find out what the hell it is. Then maybe I can bump the screen resolution up higher and still maintain similar stats.

S8+.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
A big factor not being mentioned, or shown, is the screen brightness. Sure, a device with 5% screen brightness on Wifi all day looking at simple webpages can produce fantastic SoT.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
My screen is set to automatic and about 40-50% on the slider.

wow, thats really bright! i guess my eyes are super sensitive as when i used my S6 i couldnt have it brighter than 25% lol same on my Nexus 6P...and same as on my 7+ now. If you're getting that great SoT with very high brightness thats amazing.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
That's crap. Sorry.
You know, I gave you the benefit of the doubt and I actually pitted my S8+ fast charger against my iPhone 7 Plus on an iPad charger...guess what, charging from 20% to 45%, the S8+ got to 45% while the iPhone got to 42% at the same time. That's a 3% difference only. In the meantime, the iPhone did not even get warm, where as the S8+ was nice and toasty. Even if I extrapolate this to 100%, the S8+ will likely charge to 100% faster than the iPhone 7 Plus, but not by much, maybe a few minutes at best. The iPhone will likely be around 93%-95% charged by the time the S8+ is at 100%. Depending on how much the Samsung fast charging slows down the two might actually end up even closer. So there it is...the whole "iPhone charges slow" is pure crap. It does, if it is using the crappy stock charger. If you are using the iPad charger or another high-current charger, the iPhone can take the charge just fine and charges (in essence) just as fast as any top-end Samsung phone with Adaptive Fast Charge. If you want pictures, I can post those later too.

Edit: Just a point to note, both phones were not running any apps, had basically the same apps installed, same configuration, and both on Airplane mode. Basically, I equalized them as a user would under normal circumstances. The setup was the same because I use both phones and both need to be configured the same apps-wise.

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
One thing I miss about the battery stats screen is the bottom bars where it shows how long the device was awake, wifi on, etc. Not sure why they removed those bars

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
You know, I gave you the benefit of the doubt and I actually pitted my S8+ fast charger against my iPhone 7 Plus on an iPad charger...guess what, charging from 20% to 45%, the S8+ got to 45% while the iPhone got to 42% at the same time. That's a 3% difference only. In the meantime, the iPhone did not even get warm, where as the S8+ was nice and toasty. Even if I extrapolate this to 100%, the S8+ will likely charge to 100% faster than the iPhone 7 Plus, but not by much, maybe a few minutes at best. The iPhone will likely be around 93%-95% charged by the time the S8+ is at 100%. Depending on how much the Samsung fast charging slows down the two might actually end up even closer. So there it is...the whole "iPhone charges slow" is pure crap. It does, if it is using the crappy stock charger. If you are using the iPad charger or another high-current charger, the iPhone can take the charge just fine and charges (in essence) just as fast as any top-end Samsung phone with Adaptive Fast Charge. If you want pictures, I can post those later too.

Edit: Just a point to note, both phones were not running any apps, had basically the same apps installed, same configuration, and both on Airplane mode. Basically, I equalized them as a user would under normal circumstances. The setup was the same because I use both phones and both need to be configured the same apps-wise.

I've always thought that I shouldn't get involved in a discussion which I'm not part of, BUT, this time I'll add just a couple of thoughts on this one.

First of all, iPhone users brag all the time about the "simplicity" and that "it just works" perception on an iPhone, but you are now telling me that if I wanted to have a faster charge on the iPhone 7 Plus I just sold, I needed to buy an iPad charger, and that's not complicate things and even more, increase the already high cost of the phone? When you want to do a fair comparison, every thing must be equal or similar, so I think we should compare out of the box chargers, not what the phone may be capable of if you get something else to compliment it.

No, I didn't use an iPad charger to charge my previous iPhones, as I don't have an iPad and will never have, but I did use my tons of different Adaptive fast chargers or fast chargers from previous Google Pixels, Samsung phones and others and it still needed over 2.5 hours to fully charge my iPhone when it had about 40% battery left where my S8 or any other fast charging phone will take just 1-1.5 hours.

Just saying...

the_munc_e

Apr 3, 2017
Visit site

3% difference on a smaller battery

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
The other day I got about 3.5 to 4 hours of SOT which was slot less than the first day, in which I had power saving settings set to mid and 50% brightness and got 5 hours with juice left over.

Yesterday I set the power saving back to mid and used it all day and streaming at the gym for about an hour, GPS for about an hour and streaming podcasts in the car. By midnight I still had about 30% left and was already at about 5 hours of SOT.

That tells me there is definitely something running in the background in one of my apps since I believe one setting in the mid power saving mode is no background data use.

I would like to find out what the hell it is. Then maybe I can bump the screen resolution up higher and still maintain similar stats.

S8+.
High performance also bumps up the brightness of the display. The overall brightness of the display seems to be a huge factor in overall battery consumption. The only other thing that gets enabled by high performance mode is UHQ upscaling for audio. I had to drop down from high performance to optimized with WQHD+ display scaling instead of High Performance to address battery life issues.

First of all, iPhone users brag all the time about the "simplicity" and that "it just works" perception on an iPhone, but you are now telling me that if I wanted to have a faster charge on the iPhone 7 Plus I just sold, I needed to buy an iPad charger, and that's not complicate things and even more, increase the already high cost of the phone?
I agree with you on this. The only point I want to note is that any high-amperage charger will do.

3% difference on a smaller battery
Straw man argument. The only thing that matters is usable battery life after charge. Not only does the iPhone 7 Plus beat the S8+ in battery life, it also charges nearly as fast with a high amperage charger (which by the way is also the reason why the S8+ charges faster). Having said this, the S8+ actually charges pretty slow IMHO, even when it is in the fast charging mode. A few others have noted the same thing. I think that Samsung limited the charging speed as another way to avoid battery issues. I will also say that @erasat had a good point about fast charger being included with the S8+ vs. no "fast" charger with the iPhone, but I would also say here that the S8+ without a fast charger would be nearly unusable as it really requires regular top-up.

zigaliro

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
7 hours and 21 minutes SOT, still at 16%, could have gone even longer. WQHD+ resolution, 100% brightness(not on red) and WiFi turned on all the time. Very nice :)
battery.jpg

Edit: I know, I looked at wrong screen!

Last edited:

the_munc_e

Apr 3, 2017
Visit site
High performance also bumps up the brightness of the display. The overall brightness of the display seems to be a huge factor in overall battery consumption. The only other thing that gets enabled by high performance mode is UHQ upscaling for audio. I had to drop down from high performance to optimized with WQHD+ display scaling instead of High Performance to address battery life issues.

I agree with you on this. The only point I want to note is that any high-amperage charger will do.

Straw man argument. The only thing that matters is usable battery life after charge. Not only does the iPhone 7 Plus beat the S8+ in battery life, it also charges nearly as fast with a high amperage charger (which by the way is also the reason why the S8+ charges faster). Having said this, the S8+ actually charges pretty slow IMHO, even when it is in the fast charging mode. A few others have noted the same thing. I think that Samsung limited the charging speed as another way to avoid battery issues. I will also say that @erasat had a good point about fast charger being included with the S8+ vs. no "fast" charger with the iPhone, but I would also say here that the S8+ without a fast charger would be nearly unusable as it really requires regular top-up.
My phone is at 70% after an hour. My iphone 7 is at like 50%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC