Galaxy S8 / S8 + Battery Life Thread

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Battery life has been great for me on the smaller S8. Currently at 3 hours SoT with 52% battery left. My S7 would be at 30% by now with the same usage. Yesterday got 5.5 hours. I can imagine what it would be like if I got the Plus. I'm very satisfied.

Yeah I'm getting two to three more hours of SoT with my s8+ than I've ever gotten on any android.

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Battery has been great thus far on my normal S8, I mostly use wifi and data all day at about 60% brightness with a slew of services running including high accuracy GPS and wifi calling on T-Mobile.

I estimate an average of about 5-5.5 SoT with a day I do a lot of reading I can probably get over 6.

This is today mixed with some YouTube , Facebooking , Browsing , photos vieeikg and sharing etc.

5096158510e7e7743e16c45f0c68aa0d.jpg
a9b0a1940697511e908a5f30f7ef9535.jpg

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I don't know why it says that cause I've never seen 4 hours sot on my phone. As an example if you look at this screenshot i have 1h45 of sot and I'm half way through the battery. Means I won't pass 3:30/3:45.
Not sure why it says 4 hours cause that neevr happened to me.
And anyway 4 hours is pretty crappy compared to the rest of you who get between 6 and 9 hours without turning off all the features of you phone like I have to do.
Maybe the Exinos processor is not as good as the SnapDrahon this year?

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Here is my graph for today... At home most of the day. You can see how my battery dropped when I was on cellular I circled it.
2367c36c394b0308a743dc971afc7e74.jpg

zyad

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Here is my Sunday... at home all day on WiFi with cellular on. Indoors on a cloudy day so I had screen at around 30% but with Auto brightness. I was on the phone a lot but on WiFi.
Amazing battery life in my opinion... even considering that I was on WiFi for all of the data downloading, and the relatively low screen brightness.

2d77c562c40f123bfc12d88c3b8986d4.jpg

cbf6552ec96f059c6fde9e76d2751a49.jpg

Dubzgb

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
Been on this thing all day and still going strong. S8+, fhd, autobrightness, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, gps,...pretty much all settings on! Loving it
acb55365e956120490e3faf5274e014b.jpg
582bad4a2c7c9c34c29ad9041bc807f7.jpg

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
You know, I gave you the benefit of the doubt and I actually pitted my S8+ fast charger against my iPhone 7 Plus on an iPad charger...guess what, charging from 20% to 45%, the S8+ got to 45% while the iPhone got to 42% at the same time. That's a 3% difference only. In the meantime, the iPhone did not even get warm, where as the S8+ was nice and toasty. Even if I extrapolate this to 100%, the S8+ will likely charge to 100% faster than the iPhone 7 Plus, but not by much, maybe a few minutes at best. The iPhone will likely be around 93%-95% charged by the time the S8+ is at 100%. Depending on how much the Samsung fast charging slows down the two might actually end up even closer. So there it is...the whole "iPhone charges slow" is pure crap. It does, if it is using the crappy stock charger. If you are using the iPad charger or another high-current charger, the iPhone can take the charge just fine and charges (in essence) just as fast as any top-end Samsung phone with Adaptive Fast Charge. If you want pictures, I can post those later too.

Edit: Just a point to note, both phones were not running any apps, had basically the same apps installed, same configuration, and both on Airplane mode. Basically, I equalized them as a user would under normal circumstances. The setup was the same because I use both phones and both need to be configured the same apps-wise.

What a seriously bad and flawed analysis. There is no comparison between an iPhone and S8 plus. The S8+ blows the doors off in both battery life and battery charging.
iPhone is trash using old tech and cheap parts.

https://youtu.be/yMC_zo_Ge3w

https://youtu.be/mqi5EBTHGNY

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I have been getting great battery life on my S8+. 4 hours SOT so far at 50% left...i could get 8 hours SOT......except it's bedtime....
d43a31aaaae0392ab249232a499391a7.jpg
6a9f9721cd3e198cf13ef99903da97c8.jpg

Michael Pecikonis

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
Whoever is getting 4 hours of screen time needs to exchange their phone. You've seen my OST posts. Chirst I'm at around 40 mins OST right now, no WiFi, all 4glte online browsing, and I've dropped only 3%. Get your phone checked out if you're not getting at least 7 hours.
94f6fd0c2a33c7bab249faf5dc8cd0a0.jpg

Michael Pecikonis

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
In other words, stop being happy about your battery life. You are incorrect to be happy about your battery life. LOL

Look I'm no expert on these matters, all I know is that in my typical use on my S7 Edge, the battery lost percentage points at Double the rate that it loses them on my S8 Plus. All your fancy technical explanations will not change the fact that I know for a fact I'm getting nearly double the battery life that I was getting.
Yeah idk what he's talking about. So what if app usage is low. I'm on my s8+ using YouTube and Chrome with TaptoTalk, and some social media mixed in for most of my OST. YouTube more then chrome. With auto brightness, outside in the light most of the time, sync on, notifications on, using 4glte and WiFi sometimes. With high performance mode ON. I'm getting 8-10 hours OST with 20-30 hours total time. That's the bottom line and that's ridiculous for any phone. I don't have to use 10 apps to prove it. YouTube is one of the most battery draining apps considering I'm watching video, in high resolution, over 4glte. I'm a power user too. I use about 30 gigs a month. So I know what I'm talking about when it comes to battery life.

And by the way, that app usage is what percent of the battery was drained by the apps you're using. Which basically shows that the phones processor is highly optimized, that's a good thing and doesn't mean you're not using apps.

This is the best battery I've had in a phone. And I've had a lot. The guy who just posted that is full of it. Or jealous. This phone is ridiculous. I got 40 mins of YouTube last night and my battery drained 3 percent. So you were saying?

Last edited:

Michael Pecikonis

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
I see dramatically different battery life when I'm at work or when I'm at home on WiFi. It's when I'm on WiFi that battery is ridiculously good. This is today at home all on WiFi. I had just over of 30 minutes SOT and my battery was still at 99%. That blew me away. Here's my stats at 80% now
That's what I'm talking about. I got 40 mins last night on 4glte and my battery was at 96%.

steven Hadjez

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Yeah idk what he's talking about. So what if app usage is low. I'm on my s8+ using YouTube and Chrome with TaptoTalk, and some social media mixed in for most of my OST. YouTube more then chrome. With auto brightness, outside in the light most of the time, sync on, notifications on, using 4glte and WiFi sometimes. With high performance mode ON. I'm getting 8-10 hours OST with 20-30 hours total time. That's the bottom line and that's ridiculous for any phone. I don't have to use 10 apps to prove it. YouTube is one of the most battery draining apps considering I'm watching video, in high resolution, over 4glte. I'm a power user too. I use about 30 gigs a month. So I know what I'm talking about when it comes to battery life.

And by the way, that app usage is what percent of the battery was drained by the apps you're using. Which basically shows that the phones processor is highly optimized, that's a good thing and doesn't mean you're not using apps.

This is the best battery I've had in a phone. And I've had a lot. The guy who just posted that is full of it. Or jealous. This phone is ridiculous. I got 40 mins of YouTube last night and my battery drained 3 percent. So you were saying?
The problems is that I use my phone just as you described it, except that I never pass 4 hours of sot. How do you explain that ? Your phone is a super heroe and mine as a defectuous battery ??

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
The problems is that I use my phone just as you described it, except that I never pass 4 hours of sot. How do you explain that ? Your phone is a super heroe and mine as a defectuous battery ??

I had my S8+ connected to a strong WiFi signal and I never got more than 5 hours SoT before I returned it, and that was with mixed usage. I am also skeptical of those posting 7-8 hours SoT.

Besides, SoT is not a very good measurement of battery life. There are many factors that affect battery life, such as signal strength, app usage, background refresh of apps, etc.

mpshah

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure where I'm going wrong, settings are pretty normal.

Unplugged at 6am and sitting at 22% at 8:30 pm, out of which 3-4 hours on 4G and the rest on Wi-Fi.
ed9fae5d23cc7c6e1354e1570d0769fc.jpg
Screenshot_20170501-202454.jpg