Galaxy S8 / S8 + Battery Life Thread

dario12v

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
What iphone provides is not just a brand recognition and apple logo on the back, it provides a very polished and a super stable platform that has tons of apps that are simply better optimized than android. Everyone can use an iphone and its beauty is in its simplicity and stability. So to say its marketing alone and a brand recognition is an over simplification dont you think?

Also, im sure your girlfriend was being sarcastic when she said that she wouldnt switch unless it had apple logo on the back and why should she? Thats where she feels comfortable and thats what iphone provides, no nonsense os, that iphone gives facebook and instagram and snapchat and it does it well.

Well, you do have a point, the iPhone is easier to use, you don't have to be tech oriented to use an iPhone, anyone from kids to a grandma can use them...and that's a good thing
That's part of how well they sell besides the brand and name recognition
So I have to agree
I stand corrected
But in my case I need innovation, the best and latest when it comes to my smartphone, so I can't use an iPhone
S8+ now
Note 8 as soon as its available

mpshah

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Don't know how you guys are getting these stats, here's mine with 17 minutes SOT and I've lost 15% on the S8+.

I'm just going to buy like 3 usb type c cables for the office, car and extra one for the house.
6a21b5240e7bf13371b9f3f03ad08827.jpg

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
15% in 17 minutes...i return it if my battery life was that bad. That's worse than what I got with Note 5. Here's my results with S8+

5173da8a49476b65df9c03a91475b9a1.jpg

steven Hadjez

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Im getting similar results than you, but i don't think I have a bad battery life. Do you think that you might have a bad signal issue? I think that might be the reason of my battery drain.

Do you have exynos or snapdragon ?

steven Hadjez

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
After everyone started mentioning signal as the source of my battery issues, I decided to reset my network settings. When the phone restarted, this is the message I got. Is this something I need to take seriously ? Will anything actually happen when I reset the phone to factory ? Cause when it was brand new I used that same exact sim card to set it up and nothing in particular happened.

Any help is appreciated.

8c27655d89a4910ac8915252f909811e.jpg

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone 7 battery is only 1,960 mAh. Apple was cheap and put a dinky battery in the phone. Lol. I can't believe people line up for that. Blows my mind. Smallest battery in the industry among top phones.

You have to ask is an iPhone even a top phone? I really don't think so. It's perceived as one but it's not. A mid level phone. I'd compare it with the BLU brand of androids. A fairer comparison. Problem is the price people pay is premium price. Can you say ripoff?

The thing you don't understand is that iPhone are far better optimise on iOS than any Android is meaning batteries are more efficient and suck less power and they need less powerful processors and less ram than Android phones do. So they still have equally good performance or better than much higher spec android phones. Hence why the iPhone 7 blows the S8 out the water in benchmark tests. Plus their build quality is top notch but yes they're still overpriced. Yo compare it with a midrange Android like Blu is just being stupid. I think you need to be little more open minded?

steven Hadjez

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Guys seriously I don't need to be a party pooper, but can you take you iPhone Vs Samsung battle somewhere else ? This really isn't the thread for this. This thread is to compare the battery stats between s8 users, not between iPhone and s8. And there is a mod who keeps deleting your messages about iPhones anywhere so it's pointless. Take this somewhere please so we can focus on our topic. Thanks for understanding.

dario12v

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
40 mins and only 2% lost? How??

I get similar results just from reading
1% will give you 20 minutos reading easy
That's with location and WiFi off
Brightness on auto, resolution at wqhd+ since day one
Here what my screen looks like when I'm reading, to put things in perspective
(Play books, black background, sepia letters, easier o the eyes and battery efficient)

Attachments

• 1793.jpg
    1793.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 35

ZayMoney

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
idk what the problem is with my battery but it has gotten really bad. my setting are the same settings that i had the first week when i was getting a whole days worth, by the time i got home it was still at %40. now its at 5-10 when i get home and i have not changed anything as far as usage or apps etc... i figured this would happen.

steven Hadjez

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
READ THIS SOME OF YOU WILL REALLY LIKE IT !!!!

Ok so here is something interesting. I am in the middle of an experiment to find out the reason why everyone in here gets an average of 8 hours SOT and I barely get half go that on my s8+. There is something dragon the battery on my phone without me noticing it and I need to find out out. To that effect, I started a "discard" approach, why I try every suggestion I am getting from you guys one by one to see which will affect my battery life. Here is where I stand so far:

- On day 1, I toggled off all the battery intensive features that you guys mentioned such as Wifi, bluetooth, locations, auto brightness. I set the luminosity of the phone at a fixed 30% throughout the entre day. But unfotunately the results were the same: a disappointing 4 hours of SOT.

- On day 2, I decide to attack another suggestion of yours: that my phone is defectuous and that I should exchange it. To be honest, I did not believe in it even before starting because this is an issue that I have been having since my S7 edge. So I took my wives S8, installed all my settings on it, and I got a disappointing 4 hours of SOT. Defectuous phone theory discarded. This also means that we can disregard the Factory Reset theory.

- On day 3 (today) I tried to see if most of you were right. Many of you tell me that all my problems are due to my carrier signal, coupled with the fact that I am roaming. I actually believed it could be true, and I wanted to get a local sim card from a different carrier to test it out. But I ended up doing even better!!!! This morning when I arrived at the office, I unplugged my phone 100% charged and immediately set it on airplane mode with Wifi on. No phone radio at all! And I used the phone just as I would any normal day. Well guess what ??!!! A disappointing 4 hours of SOT.

I only have a few ideas left to test, and here is what I plan to do in the next few days.

- On day 4, I will toggle off the Sync on my phone. The reason why I am doing this is to find out if some kind of sync is draining my battery in the background. Maybe the google backups, my email client, the fact that I have my phone synched with my iCloud email contacts and calendars... Let's see if this makes a difference. \

- If it does not, on day 5, I will reconsider the whole way I use my phone. To that effect, I will delete the app that I use the most: Instagram. I will do a normal day except I will not browse instagram from my phone to see if the routines I have are the problem and my battery drain is relative to the way I use my phone on an everyday basis.

- If this does not help, on day 6, 7, 8 and 9, I will be willing to try anything that any of you here might suggest between now an then. I would particularly like to hear from Erasat, who has helped me a lot in the past two years trying to solve my issues with bad SOT, but I'd be glad to hear from anyone else too.

If nothing of this ends up working and I never identify my problem, three things will happen then:

- I will cry myself to sleep until I heal and start feeling better (might need to see a shrink to treat my battery anxiety for that)
- In order to feel better, I will convince myself that all of you were in need of money to finish the month, and that you accepted a bribe from samsung to post crazy SOT on forums all over the world wide web (Im only half joking here)
- I will buy a car charger and live with this burden for the rest of my days.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Steven

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm guessing by using something like Package Disabler Pro to disable the bloat. You can make a Samsung fairly efficient if you turn off the junk you'll never use anyway.
Nope, not using anything special. I just keep auto brightness, and disable key sounds and vibration feedback. Probably helps that my signal strength is good too.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Have you gone into your settings and looked at the battery.
Then look at what apps are drawing battery voltage from the battery.
Click on all of them and hit Optimize
This will tell you which apps are drawing current in the background.
The more apps you have. The more current they will draw from your battery.

Also do you ever clear your history. And hit the left bottom button for recent apps and cleared them out.

And have you tried Greenify. Set it up and turned it on to hibernate programs and seen if it helps.
And gone to Google and see how many pages you have open it it. Close some of them.
Same thing with Samsung Internet app.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I would turn auto brightness off. And adjust your brightness yourself.
The lower you can live with it when you are inside the better off you will be as you know.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
5a1c4b61b208380393a579a230012ee7.jpg
bf5c1b224a41ad08080e78563fd40327.jpg
I do nothing special to get more battery. All location features on, Google now on, even leave Bluetooth enabled to make it quicker for me. Screen at at QHD, today I've been on LTE most of the time. Auto brightness used. I have been indoors. Almost 5hrs of SoT and battery level is at 35 percent

Michael Pecikonis

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
idk what the problem is with my battery but it has gotten really bad. my setting are the same settings that i had the first week when i was getting a whole days worth, by the time i got home it was still at %40. now its at 5-10 when i get home and i have not changed anything as far as usage or apps etc... i figured this would happen.
Yeah I'm noticing that too. Idk wtf is going on

steven Hadjez

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Have you gone into your settings and looked at the battery.
Then look at what apps are drawing battery voltage from the battery.
Click on all of them and hit Optimize
This will tell you which apps are drawing current in the background.
The more apps you have. The more current they will draw from your battery.

Done it, have just a few app running and they use like 0.01% per hour. I don't see any app seeming to cause a drain.

Also do you ever clear your history. And hit the left bottom button for recent apps and cleared them out.

I do! All the time

And have you tried Greenify. Set it up and turned it on to hibernate programs and seen if it helps.
And gone to Google and see how many pages you have open it it. Close some of them.
Same thing with Samsung Internet app.

Ok Greenify is a new suggestion. This is what ill do on day 6! Stay tuned

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20