Galaxy S8 / S8 + Battery Life Thread

peppythetruth

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
May I ask what settings you have to get this---- I can barely get 3 hours of screen on time
Nothing special I use wifi when at home Bluetooth always on connected to my Gear S3 so is NFC, Auto brightness. Only social media app I occasionally use is Facebook but do have Google Plus and SnapChat installed. I do use YouTube app a lot and I noticed it don't drain my battery as fast (watching videos) as it did on my LG V20.

dario12v

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Finally this weekend after watching so many people with great battery life and a few not so great I decided to stretch my battery and see what I get from it
This is with wqhd+ sice day 1, optimize mode, location off, WiFi on for 13.5 hours and 1 1/2 hours on the subway with no signal (rest of the time signal was full bars 100%)
Listen to music on Bluetooth from 2 hours (gym)
Watched a couple of movies, 3 TV shows, read for a couple of hours, a few phone calls,
texted all day (whatsapp)
Internet about a hour
youtube about 45 minutes
This is what I got after 38 hours since unplugging

Attachments

• 2003.jpg
    2003.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 47

gops2116

May 6, 2017
Visit site
Finally this weekend after watching so many people with great battery life and a few not so great I decided to stretch my battery and see what I get from it
This is with wqhd+ sice day 1, optimize mode, location off, WiFi on for 13.5 hours and 1 1/2 hours on the subway with no signal (rest of the time signal was full bars 100%)
Watched a couple of movies, 3 TV shows, read for a couple of hours, a few phone calls,
Internet about a hour
youtube about 45 minutes

Epic! S8+ I assume.

Lecrae116

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Internet about a hour
youtube about 45 minutes
Did you use power saver mode at all and what do you mean by "optimize mode"?

dario12v

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Did you use power saver mode at all and what do you mean by "optimize mode"?

Optimize mode is the performance mode the phone comes in, along with 1080p, I left it on the mode it came in but change the screen to
1440p (wqhd+) that has virtually no impact on the battery
Main thing is that you have a great signal full bars if possible (I live in Manhattan, New York)
I keep location off (don't use it unless I need it)
WiFi I only use it when I'm home
I turn it off when I leave for work everyday
No I didn't use power saving mode
Don't need to on this phone (unless you go camping for a week or something)
S8 plus, midnight black, t-mobile

kpdx

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Ok, tried to kill the battery today with heavy use. I do have battery saving "mid" enabled. Over 7 hours of screen time. Lots of YouTube, web browsing ECT. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on all day with a fair bit of speaker use.

Attachments

• 572.jpg
    572.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 75

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Just to illustrate something here...can the S8+ be used in such a way so as to squeeze out enormous amount of SOT? Yes. Is this realistic for somebody who actually uses their phone for work (i.e., no passive consumption all day, but active use instead)? No, absolutely not. I did a test today along the lines of "what if I really limited my interaction and mostly just consumed content". First two hours were actual productive SOT. The rest that you see is passive consumption, a mix of movie streaming, local playback, and YouTube.

When I took the screen shots I still had another 1.5 hours at least of Netflix playback left to squeeze out, putting my total SOT right around 8h. All performance settings on the phone maxed out, minus AOD and black theme applied. So yeah, it is possible to get ridiculous SOT in line with what some folks here are reporting, but unless music listening/streaming, movie/streaming video watching, and reading is all you do this is a ridiculous example. I stand by my position before. In actual use, the S8+ is good for 4.5 to 6.5 hours of actual screen time, depending on workload. Nothing to write home about and perfectly in line with the S7 Edge, if not ever so slightly worse.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170508-001849.jpg
    Screenshot_20170508-001849.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20170508-001839.jpg
    Screenshot_20170508-001839.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 33

dario12v

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
12h? What were you doing lol?

Well
To be honest like I said in my last post
I read, my phone is my main book reader, and I read about 2 hours a day
Using play books from Google
Using black background and sepia letters, that will give you 20 minutes of reading per 1% of battery
So I read about 2 hours on Sat and another 2 on Sunday (those 4 hours of reading account for only 12% of my battery) I also watch 2 movies and 3 episodes of billions (TV show) they were already downloaded to my phone
(file sharing)(torrents) not streaming
I don't stream (Exept for YouTube of Wich I did about 45 minutes) 2 hours listening to music on Bluetooth (gym) and another 2 on Sunday (gym again) (that's downloaded music already in my phone (huge library there) no streaming music either (never do)
the rest was mostly texting (whatsapp)
The texting took hours (like always) don't know how many
All together the phone gave me 38 hours total and 12 hours SOT
To me this is a normal day, it's what I do every day
I know a
Maybe in this context my reading at 20 min per 1% could be misleading, but it's something I do every day
I fact if it was possible for a human being to read 24 hours straight, that could be achieved by spending only 50% of your battery, or better yet you could read for 48 hours straight in 1 full charge (48 hour SOT)
This is what my screen looks like when I read

Attachments

• 1793.jpg
    1793.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 29

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton