S8 not designed to have a screen protector

not2gutta

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
You have a link to it? Never mind, I found it.

I don't recommend it! I applied this same screen protector last night and it looks and feels like crap on the phone. Sticky and has lines all over it from where I had to squeeze the bubbles out. Doesn't stay on the edges either. I followed the instructions to let it sit 6-8 hours, which it did overnight. It appears to have good reviews because for some reason people rate it before they even had the phone. Look at the recent reviews....the phone came out yesterday remember.

sillehrabbitz

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I ended up getting the cheapest Zagg protector. It works fine. I don't really like Zagg (I Once I bought a screen protector on sale and there was nothing in the box @ Best Buy for another phone in the past and I was laughing my butt off since I was all HAHAHAHAHA INVISIBLE SHIELD ALRIGHT I CAN'T FIND IT. I complained to Zagg & they ended up shipping me a free replacement), but I used some gift credit for it at BB just so it's protected and fine. (And it wasn't invisible or missing so that works for me haha)

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't recommend it! I applied this same screen protector last night and it looks and feels like crap on the phone. Sticky and has lines all over it from where I had to squeeze the bubbles out. Doesn't stay on the edges either. I followed the instructions to let it sit 6-8 hours, which it did overnight. It appears to have good reviews because for some reason people rate it before they even had the phone. Look at the recent reviews....the phone came out yesterday remember.

You're right. Ugh. I should've waited. Oh well. I'll try it. If it doesn't work, I'll be out $8.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

I applied mine a few hours ago and it adhered really well. What you need to do is soak the adhesive side of the screen protector with the solution, place on screen protector, squeegee the excess solution out, and, this is what I did, take the cloth and rub the edges down onto the edge panels until they adhere. It worked really well and the screen protector is adhered 100% on the screen! I've always had good luck (and patience!) to put on those types of screen protectors.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
My zagg glass screen protector and otterbox commuter case combo works just fine. I was surprised that the screen protector worked considering the n7 had the same curves and I could never find a good one to work

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't use VR so I won't be worried on that point. I have some coming made for the S8 (tempered glass) so we will see how it fits.

aokusman1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I have a tempered glass screen protector that fits right with my case. Problem is the left side is less sensitive and typing is a chore.

Bruce Fulton

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Unless you are going to the beach, screen protectors are for the birds.
My S6 dropped on concrete and hit just quite wrong after pulling off the cracked glass screen protector due to a previous drop and protector crack and not replacing right away. Replacement cost of the original screen is $200+ and non-cracked S6 are selling on eBay for $200 now that I have my s8. Wish I hadn't been quite so nonchalant. I'm not careless, but accidents happen and phones drop. Sometimes you are lucky and sometimes you aren't. Assurion dropped me because of two claims, one for a defective jack after warranty and one because my cat tipped over a water bottle on the s6 when I was asleep. Then the crack. I'm not blaming anyone. But, it doesn't sound like there are any good options for the s8. The thing is, the manufacturers should design a screen or screen protector from the get go that is inexpensively replaceable. They should be able to design a screen protector that would add, say, $50 to the phone, that would negate the $200-$300 repair bill when what commonly happens to a phone happens. In the meantime, I guess I either have to suffer bad screen performance on a beautiful phone, or risk an expensive repair if want to take advantage of the advantages in screen display. Sigh.

flyinwinger2

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
First of all it won't work if you use the gear VR, definitely will distort the image. Second, it's very hard to get a case and screen protector to work. Might have to just use it without a screen protector, oh well. A case is definitely needed for better grip otherwise it'll be difficult to hold with the thin bezels. Just a heads up for everyone.

Bought an Olixar tempered glass screen protector supposedly specifically designed to work with a case. I've used these on all my other devices with no dramas, but this one was awful. Because the adhesive is only on the edges, it leaves a clearly visible adhesive 'sheen' or 'residue' around the edge. It's particularly bad at the bottom. Because it's designed to fit inside the edges of a case, it's quite evident.
It also really badly affected the sensitivity of the touchscreen toward the right hand edge.

I genuinely don't think it's an application issue for me personally. They just don't seem to work very well on curved screens.

Have caved and bought the Samsung own brand cover, even though it's not tempered glass. It will be better than nothing!

hydrofarmer

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Get the hd armor suite one. I did trim about a 1/16 off of each long side. And it is flawless. Wet allocation makes it very forgiving and bubble free.

BeyondtheTech

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
With everyone dropping and cracking their S8/S8+ already, I have to get a glass screen protector over a regular film protector. Practically all of them are only using adhesives around the edges, and supposedly ZAGG is releasing or has released an updated one with adhesive all across the glass.

But for $50, you might as well go with the Whitestone Dome for $45. It's got a relatively complicated application procedure, as it uses a UV-activated bond, but at least you won't have touch sensitivity issues.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZXWRGT...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5787478

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I had major fails trying to buy a tempered glass screen protector on the s7 edge and eventually gave up.

I've now ordered one resulting from a review and will try that one.

I'll also be using the new Black Dragon dbrand skin when it arrives from the U.S. I'm in the U.K.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc