04-09-2018 09:39 AM
28 12
tools
    I've figured out how to do ringtones through Zedge but cannot figure how to assign my home made (ringdroid) ringtone to a contact.
    I also cannot figure out how to give my contacts a specific text message notification...

Neither of these seem to be controlled by a link within the contact itself.

Can anyone please help? !
    04-22-2017 12:11 PM
    I've figured out how to do ringtones through Zedge but cannot figure how to assign my home made (ringdroid) ringtone to a contact.
    I also cannot figure out how to give my contacts a specific text message notification...

Neither of these seem to be controlled by a link within the contact itself.

Can anyone please help? !
    Open the Contacts app. Find the contact you wish to modify. Click the small circled "i Details" button.
    At the top of the next screen, click the Edit button.
    In the edit screen, scroll down near the bottom, right above the SCAN BUSINESS CARD button, and click on the View More option. Scroll down, and you will see the Ringtone field. Edit that, and you're good.
    04-23-2017 03:35 AM
    Seeing the convoluted process above (good explanation!), and my own frustrating experience with the Samsung contact app in the first day of using it, I wonder what would happen if I downloaded the Google Contacts app from GPS (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.contacts).

This was the contacts app on 6p and seemed easier to use than the Samsung version. I'm afraid of borking things up though, especially since it integrates with other apps (dialer, sms, etc.). Anyone else reading this thread replace the built-in Samsung app with the google verion or any other yet?
    04-23-2017 04:34 AM
    Seeing the convoluted process above (good explanation!), and my own frustrating experience with the Samsung contact app in the first day of using it, I wonder what would happen if I downloaded the Google Contacts app from GPS (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.contacts).

This was the contacts app on 6p and seemed easier to use than the Samsung version. I'm afraid of borking things up though, especially since it integrates with other apps (dialer, sms, etc.). Anyone else reading this thread replace the built-in Samsung app with the google verion or any other yet?
    I doubt it's even compatible with the S8 or S8+.
    04-23-2017 05:20 AM
    I've used Ringo for at least eight years. Goes in every phone I have had (65 since 2009).
    04-23-2017 07:33 AM
    Open the Contacts app. Find the contact you wish to modify. Click the small circled "i Details" button.
    At the top of the next screen, click the Edit button.
    In the edit screen, scroll down near the bottom, right above the SCAN BUSINESS CARD button, and click on the View More option. Scroll down, and you will see the Ringtone field. Edit that, and you're good.
    Lawrie Sherratt likes this.
    10-05-2017 05:42 AM
    I have done the above suggestions, yet when someone sends me a text the assigned notification sound doesn't happen....always the default one. ☹
    10-05-2017 05:44 AM
    I have done the above suggestions, yet when someone sends me a text the assigned notification sound doesn't happen....always the default one. ☹
    Same. I change a contact to have a custom notification sound but it always plays the default sound on texts. However if I go into the contact to edit the sound, it says it is the selected sound chosen.

Something isn't working on these S8s.
    11-22-2017 07:58 PM
    When I go into contacts>edit I only see option for ringtone for chosen contact. Don't see a setting for notifications, such as sms/mms.
    I use Samsung contacts. Maybe that's only available in 3rd party messaging apps like Textra etc.
    11-22-2017 08:37 PM
    When you go down to the part about the ringtone it should say message tone right under it where you can change the sms tone, but I believe it that only works if you're using the Samsung messaging app. If not using the Samsung app, third party apps have their own settings within their app for changing the notifications.
    cindylike24 likes this.
    11-23-2017 12:16 AM
    When you go down to the part about the ringtone it should say message tone right under it where you can change the sms tone, but I believe it that only works if you're using the Samsung messaging app. If not using the Samsung app, third party apps have their own settings within their app for changing the notifications. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ffe5a913e4.jpg
    Using Samsung Messages, Contacts and Phone apps on a US unlocked with Straight Talk Verizon SIM.
    No message tone choice underneath ringtone.
    No big deal for me, but I can see where it would be an annoyance for anyone wanting that option and unable to make it work.
    Wonder if it's carrier related.
    Attached Thumbnails Customizing Contact Ringtones/Notifications on the new S8-screenshot_20171123-110342.jpg  
    11-23-2017 11:12 AM
    That's sucky if it is carrier related. What's the point of omitting that feature? They won't lose any money from people wanting to change their notification tone. That's crazy.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    11-23-2017 09:53 PM
    It's so much of that it's crazy. Use to be if you had an unlocked version you would get all features plus some. But not with Samsung
    mary beth hale likes this.
    12-01-2017 03:52 AM
    Has anyone figured out the contact text tone issue? Just got my s8 and contact ringtones works 100% contact text tone 0% it always uses default
    01-29-2018 02:31 PM
    I know if you use Textra you can assign each contact a different notification sound
    01-30-2018 09:20 AM
    My S8 was fine until Oreo installed. Now unable to assign contact message tones. Wish Id stayed with Nougal
    Snips2009 and dat2 like this.
    03-12-2018 12:13 PM
    So according to what I'm reading After the Oreo update being able to assign separate notification tones disappeared? I've been trying to figure out why I couldn't find it. Did they do away with that feature? I'm so mad right now wish I didn't update to Oreo. That's why I loved S8 because I could assign separate notification tones to everyone. Is there any way to get it back? A way to uninstall the Oreo update?
    Snips2009 likes this.
    03-21-2018 10:52 AM
    Hope they fix this oreo update it makes me mad that I can not assign separate notifications
    03-21-2018 11:44 PM
    Hope they fix this oreo update it makes me mad that I can not assign separate notifications
    They are not going to fix it. They have been contacted many times already, people are furious over this change and they don't care. Their response was rude and they have no intention of changing it back. I hope they have a significant reduction in revenue over this poor operating system they have forced on everyone.
    03-22-2018 12:54 PM
    wow they won't fix it, how sad
    03-22-2018 06:35 PM
    Hi, having same problem. So frustrating since I use my phone for my business and I rely on the Notification sounds to let me know if I need to get to the message ASAP! NOT HAPPY RIGHT NOW. Is there any app out that I can use to help in this situation that anyone knows of? I need to put a Notification sound to about 12 people. Thanks so much.
    Molly Miner likes this.
    03-23-2018 08:55 AM
    Is there any app out that I can use to help in this situation that anyone knows of? I need to put a Notification sound to about 12 people.
    To my knowledge : Android Messages (from Google, it's free) and Textra (Free to use with one ads disguised as a text message, and ad free if you pay it). I'm sure many more SMS apps with this feature exists. Also note that both for Textra and Android Messages, you are not assigning a tone to a contact, but to a conversation...
    03-23-2018 09:55 AM
    To my knowledge : Android Messages (from Google, it's free) and Textra (Free to use with one ads disguised as a text message, and ad free if you pay it). I'm sure many more SMS apps with this feature exists. Also note that both for Textra and Android Messages, you are not assigning a tone to a contact, but to a conversation...
    Though Android messages lacks the ability to pin, I've gone back to it t for the reason that I can assign tones. I have a default tone so I know which messages to ignore! Before Oreo, I knew when a frequent contact was messaging and would check those messages. At least in this regard, my "smartphone" S8 got dumber with this release.
    03-24-2018 12:51 PM
    I was very disappointed after the update. I get many text messages and it helped a lot to know who texted without looking at the phone. This was one of the main features that kept me going to the i phone. A few S8 users I know who did not update yet, still have that feature and they do not want to update after knowing about this. A friend of mine contacted customer service and got a very unprofessional response. He asked to talk to her supervisor and he gave the impression that they had received several complaints about it and are "looking into it."
    04-05-2018 07:07 PM
    I've not had a problem setting ringtones for contacts, until I received the Oreo update on my Galaxy S8+. When I select "Ringtone" for a contact, it takes me to the list of installed ringtones, including those I have made, but when I do that, it takes me to the Sound Picker (something I have never seen before). If I select that, all it shows is music I have downloaded, with no option to select system tones. Does anyone know a way around this?
    04-07-2018 06:00 PM
28 12