has anyone got Edge Lighting to work for alerts on an S8?

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Never worked from what I could ever tell. And no, I don't turn my phone face down, ever. I use the Samsung flip cases, and maybe that turns it off. But even when I've left the case open, I have never, ever seen edge lighting. And yes, I've gone in and enabled it for the apps I use. I've just never seen it.

jerseygirl

May 18, 2010
Visit site
My edge lighting works perfectly. Not the same as the note 7 or s7 though. Only that slight blue ring around edge and a pop up pill box up top. I love it
Is the lighting notification noticeable even with a case? I have a clear case, but haven't noticed the edge lighting.... but I also haven't customized settings for it other even turning it on. Not sure what to expect, I'm upgrading from a non-edge phone (note 4).

jerseygirl

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Guys...you don't need that app. Those settings to enable edge lighting for different apps? That's built into the phone. Settings > Display > Edge screen > Edge lighting . Top right of screen make sure it's set to ON. Under "show edge lighting" choose "Always" or whatever preference you have. Then tap Manage Notifications just underneath that. Pick and choose what apps or top option is to choose ALL APPS. I did this and edge lighting works fine for notifications for all apps. In my case I have it set to come on for screen on and off
Thanks! Now waiting on an app to notify me so I can see how this looks

kyleresq

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
You still need the app if you want customization. There are apps on the market that you can pick different colors for the apps so you know what alert you got. You can also change the color patterns, width, and duration. I am hoping Samsung will update their version but for now it is quite basic.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up Edge Lighting from the Play Store and it seems to be working fine. I'll see during normal use if it keeps working as per the app store decription.

Thanks for the reference to and tutorial for this app from earlier in this thread.

Last edited:

elmo

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
S8 on Sprint. I couldn't get my stock edge lighting to work either after playing with the settings. Installed the app from the store. After that, the stock edge lighting finally worked but only with the screen on and only works on the text messaging app. No phone calls.

The Edge Lighting app works only with the screen off whether facing up or down and is very bright.
Screenshot_20170501-180730.jpg

Here is a screen shot of the stock edge lighting. You can barely see that it is even on and only lights up in blue. Fail.
20170501_175834.jpg

Christopher Meinck

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I can't get Edge Lighting to work, despite triple checking all of my settings and even going as far as to reset my phone. Additionally, when the phone is off or using AOD, only some app notifications pop up. In most cases, it's a sound and the AOD gets updated. Samsung Messages is one app where it works and I'll get a quick pill box pop-up with preview.

I love this phone, but notifications and edge lighting are a dumpster fire.

onejahson

May 3, 2017
Visit site
My edge lighting does NOT work for any apps at all either with my S8+ on Sprint. I have tried all the above suggestions plus this one: "Go into device maintenance, click on the battery, turn off power saver mode, then tap the tree dots in the top right corner for advance settings. Turn off app power monitor.. that did the trick for me.. I hope it helps you as well."

Nothing seems to get it to work. I have not downloaded the 3rd party Edge app as this should work without the use of that.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
ok, I went to another forum.....and there someone had mentioned they purchased on PlayStore an app called Edge Lighting. Yes, i said PURCHASED (it was like $2.54 or around there). They claimed after they installed that app, a SMALL amount of the Edge Lighting alerts began to work?

So, desperate....I purchased it. Right after I did.....with almost no configuration....I found that now, my phone would indeed alert with a green edge light .....ONLY ON PHONE CALLS...and ONLY WITH THE SCREEN OFF....and the phone FACE DOWN.

Then I went to a Corporate Verizon store and asked them to look at the phone. I compared notes with the Verizon rep....and they agreed PERHAPS some of the features may not be working early on?

Anyway, based on reading on another forum about some folks trying the SAMSUNG messaging app (just called Message on my Verizon S8)....verses the Verizon Message + (which is what I normally use)....some folks actually got the Edge Lighting alerts to work on their S8.....but only on incoming calls (phone face down and screen off)....and....on the incoming texts with the Samsung Message app (phone up or down.....screen off). The Verizon rep changed my default text app to the Samsung Message app, and yes indeed, edge lighting WORKED. Not wanting to use the Samsung app (I much prefer the Verizon Message+), I changed back to Message+ for my default for texts (meaning probably for NOW, no more edge light alerts).

I went home deciding I would live with for now....the limited capability. It's not the phone, it's most likely configuration/settings for limited access...and limitations in the OS for all the other non Samsung apps....being my guess.

BUT THEN....on that other forum, I saw a link to a bunch of new Youtube videos with "how to" info. So i went and watched the one on Edge Lighting. Now .....that gave me some more ideas. So here's what i did:

Using the new app I had purchased....called Edge Lighting....from the Playstore....I went into Settings/Accessibility (which is near the bottom under System)/Notification Reminder - making sure this was set to ON. Then I tapped on the Notification Reminder and went into the sub menus for that item. At the bottom, i found a setting for "show notifications from"....and a list of apps. Well, the Edge Lighting was listed in that list, but it was NOT turned on (probably something one needs to do after installing that app?). So i turned it on.

Once I turned that Notification Reminder setting to ON for Edge Lighting app, I then noticed when i went back to the Accessibility area....at the bottom of all the items under that heading....there is a list of Services. Now, under those Services, i found Edge Light ....and it was OFF. I turned it ON.

And NOW, EVERY APP I wanted to send notices......does.....regardless of what vendor or app it is (assuming the app sends some kind of notification). IE, my gmail now works, my email using Microsoft Exchange (for my work) now works, Text messages using Messenger+ (from Verizon) works....calls....etc. And, those email and text alerts work on the lock screen....with the phone facing UP even.

The incoming calls is working with the Samsung Edge Lighting. The text, emails, etc....works using the Edge Lighting 3rd party app. I suspect SOME DAY....Samsung will update the OS to address Edge Lighting for all the apps it no doubt should support? For now, the 3rd party app makes Edge lighting work for all the non Samsung apps I want working.

I'm an Electrical Engineer and I've worked in Software Development for major Software releases for large complex systems. When you build a new release....there's basically three types of testing you do: 1) Systems Integration Testing (SIT).....does it load properly onto the hardware platform and function in general. 2) Requirements Operability Testing (ROT), also known as Regression Testing.....does it break anything THAT ALREADY WORKED IN A PREVIOUS RELEASE. and finally 3) Capabilities Integration Testing (CIT)...do all the NEW requirements/capabilities spelled out for this release actually work. You develop autmoated test scripts and execute tests that cover EVERY capability listed in a Requirements Tracibility Matrix (RTM) that was developed way back on day one....when you identified all the new features you want to incorporate on the next release. Since Edge Light alerts have been around on some past phones (like s6 and S7 edge)....I'm thinking that testing should have been ROT testing to make sure with the new S8 release, the already existing capability of Edge Lighting wasn't broken. They either didn't do it....didn't do it well....or for whatever reason, pushed the new release with this capability NOT fully functioning. Testing always results in Problem Reports (PRs). PRs are categorized ....1-5....with Cat 1 and 2 being critical PRs that MUST be fixed before release....while 3-5 Cats can sometimes be "lived with"....with a list of Known Problems and Workarounds (KP&W). We often released major releases with Cat 3, 4, and 5 PRs....knowing we could work around them....fix them later...etc. PRs that "break the system"...typically again CAT 1 or 2.....if not fixed, often wind up being Deficiency Reports (DRs).....which then make the list of "new capabilities" for the next release............

Ok, much, much more than you ever wanted to read , eh? I'm thinking Edge Lighting working on ALL apps ....regardless of vendor....and working as it did on past similar releases for other recent phones....is probably a Cat 3 or 4 PR....IF IT DOESN'T FULLY WORK. It's a KP&W....they know the problem is out there....it's minor...it can be lived with....it may have limited functionality (or you can use the KP&W i just listed....of using the 3rd party Edge Light app).

And I'm spent...............;)

Does this give you color options?

onejahson

May 3, 2017
Visit site
Okay after speaking to a Samsung rep and a Sprint rep we have concluded that you have to not only have the edge display settings ON, you must use PEOPLE EDGE for it to work and it only works with those (up to 10) contacts. We were able to make it work BUT only while the phone was upside down.

Here's what doesn't make sense though. Obviously all apps are not designed to work with the Edge feature, I would think more than the stock messaging and phone app would work which does not seem to be the case (for me). If all apps are an option to trigger the display, why only 2 that supposedly work? Also, why isn't it working while the phone is right-side-up like the demo for ALWAYS ON says?

Can anyone confirm it works for them right-side-up and/or for more apps than stock messaging and phone please?..

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the app Edge Lighting also and it works fine in any position with varying color per notification.

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Why in the living hell would anyone place their phone face down on anything? Who does that, honestly? /austinpowers
At least for me, if I am at a restaurant with my wife and there is a soft tablecloth I will turn my phone over so as to not be distracted by notifications. Obviously the irony here is that edge notifications work with the screen down but I actually do not notice notifications via edge lighting with the screen down. Primarily I do not want to see the blinking LED when I do this.

uncreativeartist

Trusted Member
Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
I have a Spring phone and the edge lighting doesn't work at all. I set and reset the edge lighting settings and restarted the phone several times. It really is a minor thing but it is something that is part of the phone. So I expect it to work regardless of it's importance.

onejahson

May 3, 2017
Visit site
Just did another online chat with Samsung. We did a test in Safe Mode and I was able to get it to work once out of about 10 tries with the phone awake and upright.

Apparently, THIS IS A KNOWN BUG AND SAMSUNG IS WORKING ON IT. While this works for most, it does not work correctly for others. I do have the latest Software Version G955USQU1AQD9 Android 7.0 on Sprint. If anyone has the same and it does not work, this is most likely why.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Just did another online chat with Samsung. We did a test in Safe Mode and I was able to get it to work once out of about 10 tries with the phone awake and upright.

Apparently, THIS IS A KNOWN BUG AND SAMSUNG IS WORKING ON IT. While this works for most, it does not work correctly for others. I do have the latest Software Version G955USQU1AQD9 Android 7.0 on Sprint. If anyone has the same and it does not work, this is most likely why.
Have you downloaded Edge Lighting from the the Play Store and set it up per the directions?

I'm running the latest version of Android and my edge light is working fine. The critical part of the Edge Lighting app is that you need to turn the edge light to off in the settings -> Display -> Edge and to turn the Edge Lighting app on in Setrings-> Accessibility -> Services.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Have you downloaded Edge Lighting from the the Play Store and set it up per the directions?

I'm running the latest version of Android and my edge light is working fine. The critical part of the Edge Lighting app is that you need to turn the edge light to off in the settings -> Display -> Edge and to turn the Edge Lighting app on in Setrings-> Accessibility -> Services.

The edge lighting is not an app. It's a built in function of the S8. It also has never worked for me. S8, ATT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo