The Fingerprint experience gets much better with a case

Nursedad

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Just put a Spigen Liquid Air case on my S8+ today. In addition to gaining some additional safety for this beautiful phone, I also made an unexpected discovery. The fingerprint sensor suddenly becomes very usable.

The camera / sensor window of this particular case has an edge that angles down to the sensor. I've found that it's very easy to follow this edge down to the sensor and hit it accurately almost every time.

It's so good in fact, that I'm using the shade, pull-down feature with great success too.

If you were considering a case but weren't sure, this may be the reason you would make that call.

Michael Pecikonis

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
I love the fingerprint sensor. I have a rinke elite coated textured care which looks amazing. And a spigen liquid air armor. Either one feels great and the sensor and been awesome. I barely have to touch it. It's easier then the thumb was and I have a s8+. I'm really happy with everything on this phone and all the hate before it for sensors and buttons waa ridiculous imo.

Rippa55

Apr 20, 2017
Visit site
I love the fingerprint sensor. Give it a chance. Much more accurate when compared to s6. Your index finger should sit right there.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I also agree. I have a Defender case and have no problem reaching the fingerprint sensor. Many of the complaints appear to be from the YouTube reviewers. If you want a real issue, how about more RAM, bigger camera improvements, memory management or a larger battery.

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't know how everyone here commenting on how wonderful it is with a s8+ are gripping your phone, but you must have gigantor hands :).

Seriously, coming from a 6p to the s8 (no +) I am so glad I went with the smaller s8. The finger print location is just where my finger lands when gripping the phone. I'd be a-strechin' with the s8+. And I don't have tiny Trump hands, I wear large sized gloves!

Overall FPS is pretty good. I had to save 2 scans of my finger and I still have no-hits and must reposition the finger about 10% of the time. Still better than the 2-step process for pressing the power (or invisi-home button), sliding up, and waiting for face or iris scan to do its thing (75%-ish success rate on those).

AL904

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
I have the Speck Presidio Grip case for my S8+. I put on that case as soon as I activated my phone. I Ike everything about the case except the fingerprint sensor cutout.

Until I read this thread, I thought my issue was with the S8+'s fingerprint sensor. I planned to use my left index finger to unlock the phone, but could never get it to work right. I've never had issues setting up fingerprint sensors with other phones. My initial setup took far too many attempts to get my finger recognized. Then, when I finally got it set up, I caould never get the phone unlocked with my finger. I resigned myself to not being able to use fingerprint unlocking with this phone.

As I write this, I'm now wondering if my problem is the Speck case or my phone itself. Later today, I'll take the case off the phone and make sure it works naked.

AL904

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
I have the Speck Presidio Grip case for my S8+. I put on that case as soon as I activated my phone. I Ike everything about the case except the fingerprint sensor cutout.

Until I read this thread, I thought my issue was with the S8+'s fingerprint sensor. I planned to use my left index finger to unlock the phone, but could never get it to work right. I've never had issues setting up fingerprint sensors with other phones. My initial setup took far too many attempts to get my finger recognized. Then, when I finally got it set up, I caould never get the phone unlocked with my finger. I resigned myself to not being able to use fingerprint unlocking with this phone.

As I write this, I'm now wondering if my problem is the Speck case or my phone itself. Later today, I'll take the case off the phone and make sure it works naked.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Why wouldn't it be better when a case separates the two.

It reminds me of Apple's Antenna Gate. Put a case on it. LOL

Who knows, probably this is why Samsung was lazy when they designed it, knowing majority of users will wrap it up with a case.

naturalguy

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
Same here, I thought I was going to hate the fps but it's really convenient. I think you are right that the case helps you find it quick, I have yet to smudge my camera

AL904

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
Sorry for the double post earlier this morning!

I tried taking off the Speck case. I'm still having trouble setting my index fingerprint to unlock the phone. I was able to set it easily with my thumb. However, I won't be using my thumb to unlock it. I guess I'm stuck with another method of unlocking. I still love the Speck case.

whaddupdoe

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Using a Spigen Rugged Armor case. And no issues what so ever. In fact, I stopped using the iris scanner to unlock once I found out that the phone can be awaking and unlocked by just using only the fps and not using the power or home button first. Pretty cool

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
If you were considering a case but weren't sure, this may be the reason you would make that call.
Or if you prefer not to use a case, you may be able to get the same benefit by placing a small strip of tape or something next to the sensor to help guide your finger.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for the double post earlier this morning!

I tried taking off the Speck case. I'm still having trouble setting my index fingerprint to unlock the phone. I was able to set it easily with my thumb. However, I won't be using my thumb to unlock it. I guess I'm stuck with another method of unlocking. I still love the Speck case.
I'm using the same case and FPS is working fine. When you set your finger print up did you take different positions of your finger. Try to concentrate on the position your finger will be in. I'll admit there is a learning curve for using the FPS, but once learned you will love it. I've also used Otterbox symmetry and FPS works the same as this case, so I don't think it's the case, it's you have to learn the correct position or faulty FPS.

By the way this speck case is a nice case. It provides the best protection for the edges. My only complaint is it does take a little of the curve edge look away. For the ones that hate the curved screen this case might be the solution for them.