How's your standby drain?

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I never understand what it is with Android, and I go back and forth from iOS and Android everybsix months, but man if I set this phone down doing absolutely nothing, it just drains about 2-4% and hour at a minimum.

I have an S8 on T-Mobile and I typically turn all sorts of options off, I don't use Google location , I don't use bixby or Google Assistant, I also refuse anonymous data sending to Samsung and Google and I turn off any activities from the phone that use constant sensor scanning such as advanced actions eg. Palm swipe, smart stay etc.

I also only use commercial applications, but man it just seems like the device just dains like a beast.

I can make it through a day without needing a charger but it just blows me away compared to iOS . It's not a deal breaker since charging is so easy but in comparison when you put an iPhone down at 8pm and keta say it's at 59% and then pick it up at 8am and it's now sitting at 58% lol.

How about you guys?

Last edited:

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm the same. Over on the main battery life thread I noted that my S8+ was down to 50% with only 45 minutes SOT after work. Granted I have to keep my phone in my locker at work for security reasons, but in the same situation my iPhone 7 Plus is usually 93%-95%. I don't get why Android has such bad standby time.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm the same. Over on the main battery life thread I noted that my S8+ was down to 50% with only 45 minutes SOT after work. Granted I have to keep my phone in my locker at work for security reasons, but in the same situation my iPhone 7 Plus is usually 93%-95%. I don't get why Android has such bad standby time.

I'm not seeing those bad #'s on mine. I wonder if you have a bad signal in the locker

MACKSnare519

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I have found that Samsung devices are particularly bad with stand by time. However, HTC usually do very well in this category. This has always confused me.

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
There's a reason you see old people flocking to iPhones. They are dummed down, and more simple for them to use. That combination is by default going to make the battery last longer. Android is like a big pickup truck with lots of aftermarket performance options. Stop complaining you don't get the gas mileage of a Kia....

Rumline

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
I'm actually very surprised with how well mine is doing. In the last 2 hours since I've unplugged my phone, I've had 45 minutes SOT and my battery is at 96%.

I didn't charge it at all Friday night and the battery only lost 4% overnight.

Last night (Saturday) was the first time I had to recharge the phone since I first got it and charged it at 2pm on Friday, even with all the time I spent setting my apps back up and playing with it etc. I sure hope this lasts.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm at 80 percent battery right now. With 1hr and 30mins SOT. S8plus here. Pretty impressive to me. Have not really monitored standby time yet.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
There's a reason you see old people flocking to iPhones. They are dummed down, and more simple for them to use. That combination is by default going to make the battery last longer. Android is like a big pickup truck with lots of aftermarket performance options. Stop complaining you don't get the gas mileage of a Kia....
That's not my issue though. If I have set something that burns battery for a reason, or if it's b/c of the higher resolution display I wouldn't mind. It seems to me Android could be better optimized for standby time. Doze was supposed to help, but I'm not really seeing it.

The overall battery life during use is comparable between the 2 OS's. It's only standby time I have an issue with.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
My battery life is not as healthy as the iPhone 7 Plus. :p

I agree. Lots of people blame it on iPhone not having as much power, or the lower resolution. I don't think it has anything to do with either honestly. If I stream the same video, for example, on my 7 Plus and my S8+ the battery would drain in a similar manner. However, if I have both fully charged and don't touch either phone the 7Plus kills any Android phone I've used.

Don't get me wrong, I really like my S8+ a lot. I just wish either Google or Samsung had similar ideas about how to handle what happens in standby as Apple. It can be said that Android does more and has more features than iOS all day. If my phone has been sitting idle for over 30 minutes it should go into some sort of hibernation so it uses as little power as possible.

blaine07

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I agree. Lots of people blame it on iPhone not having as much power, or the lower resolution. I don't think it has anything to do with either honestly. If I stream the same video, for example, on my 7 Plus and my S8+ the battery would drain in a similar manner. However, if I have both fully charged and don't touch either phone the 7Plus kills any Android phone I've used.

Don't get me wrong, I really like my S8+ a lot. I just wish either Google or Samsung had similar ideas about how to handle what happens in standby as Apple. It can be said that Android does more and has more features than iOS all day. If my phone has been sitting idle for over 30 minutes it should go into some sort of hibernation so it uses as little power as possible.
All those awesome features we appreciate on Android are the price we pay compared to apples battery life. At least S8 charges rather quickly compared to iPhone. We need Apple and Android to come together and have a baby lol

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
That's not my issue though. If I have set something that burns battery for a reason, or if it's b/c of the higher resolution display I wouldn't mind. It seems to me Android could be better optimized for standby time. Doze was supposed to help, but I'm not really seeing it.

The overall battery life during use is comparable between the 2 OS's. It's only standby time I have an issue with.

Just because your screen is off, and the phone doesn't appear to be doing anything, doesn't mean it isn't.

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site

This can probably be summed up with one word: Flash. Remember when flash was all the rage, and Steve Jobs made news by not allowing flash to run on IOS devices, because it used so much battery because it taxed the processor and overheated devices? "vee vill disable flash, and you veeel like it'. Technically he was right about flash, but IMHO wrong to force people to see it his way when it came to their own devices they paid good money for. Apple has that same mindset with almost everything they do, which is why it's great for sheep and older folks, but not so much for those that like choice and power.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I have not owned an iPhone, but a lot of my co-workers have them. They all say they're phones are nearly dead by early evening. 2 of them use those fat battery cases to make it through a day. Mix of iPhone 6, 6S and one guy has a 7

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I have not owned an iPhone, but a lot of my co-workers have them. They all say they're phones are nearly dead by early evening. 2 of them use those fat battery cases to make it through a day. Mix of iPhone 6, 6S and one guy has a 7

Another thing people forget about is wireless charging that iPhones do not have. I have wireless chargers in spots my phone would normally be just sitting. Night stand, office desk, in my truck. If the phone is sitting, may as well just set it on the quick charger. It keeps it topped off, and my phone hardly ever gets too low. If you have to fuss with plugging in a cord, you're less likely to do it, so yeah on paper the iPhone might be better at standby, but get some wireless chargers, and it changes the game drastically

mariusfilip

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
That's not my issue though. The overall battery life during use is comparable between the 2 OS's. It's only standby time I have an issue with.
I found an interesting battery test, the on-screen time seems to be better on the S8+ than on the 7 +, but i think the iPhone does better with standby time. I am an android guy, but a few months ago i got my first 6S+ and i'm pretty impressed with the standby time vs the S7 Edge i sold. I'm very interested in the S8+ and the OP3T, i don't use the the camera much, but i really like the design of the Galaxy. I hope i will be ae to wait for the OP4/5? to see what it has to offer.
https://youtu.be/yMC_zo_Ge3w

Jason Fournier1

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Standby drain has been amazing for me in the S8+. I have everything on and max resolution. I see less than a percent per hour. I left it in my car and played a hockey game probably for 2 hours and it didn't lose even a percent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax