Camera lowlight blur

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm a long-time Galaxy user and my Note 5 and S7E seem to capture better quality pictures more often in low light situations than I'm getting with my S8. I'm talking my pup moving or kids moving. My other phones gave me more clear shots consistently than I am getting with my S8. Is there an update or setting I'm missing that's making a difference? Seems odd I'm getting these results. But I've seen a few other posts with same results. This and the FPS are the only things I see that are frustrating with this amazing device. Well besides I keep hitting the stupid Bixby button instead of the volume rocker to snap a pic.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm a long-time Galaxy user and my Note 5 and S7E seem to capture better quality pictures more often in low light situations than I'm getting with my S8. I'm talking my pup moving or kids moving. My other phones gave me more clear shots consistently than I am getting with my S8. Is there an update or setting I'm missing that's making a difference? Seems odd I'm getting these results. But I've seen a few other posts with same results. This and the FPS are the only things I see that are frustrating with this amazing device. Well besides I keep hitting the stupid Bixby button instead of the volume rocker to snap a pic.

I gave up the G6 for the s8+ because of the same issue but I'm have the same experience with the s8. I just downloaded the sports mode and will play with that to see if it helps.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
The camera is probably exposing for the non moving stuff in the image. So it's setting a lower shutter speed. If your trying to capture movement in low light your best bet is to use pro mode and manually set your shutter to something faster. I Had to do this on my V10 in low light as well if I wanted to capture movement. Actually, thus rings true for most cameras in general

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
The camera is probably exposing for the non moving stuff in the image. So it's setting a lower shutter speed. If your trying to capture movement in low light your best bet is to use pro mode and manually set your shutter to something faster. I Had to do this on my V10 in low light as well if I wanted to capture movement. Actually, thus rings true for most cameras in general

Correct. But I'm talking negligible movement. If I want to monkey around with manual modes I'll just pull out my Canon DSLR. It's the fact my Samsung devices prior had no issue a majority of the time and this seems more often than not. It's a awesome phone but this is a tad frustrating. I'm not even talking at night with a single lamp on type lowlight, I'm talking fairly well lit morning or evening light.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Correct. But I'm talking negligible movement. If I want to monkey around with manual modes I'll just pull out my Canon DSLR. It's the fact my Samsung devices prior had no issue a majority of the time and this seems more often than not. It's a awesome phone but this is a tad frustrating. I'm not even talking at night with a single lamp on type lowlight, I'm talking fairly well lit morning or evening light.
I'm sure you saw this on the G6 forum but I'll post it here so we have a visual. This was taken with an overhead ceiling fan light on and a lamp 10 feet away on. The dog slowly turned her head to shy away from the camera. When I checked the shutter speed it was 1/8. This is what we were absolutely blasting the G6 for and why many of us picked up both devices. I don't remember having these issues on the S7 series but I don't have them anymore to test. I'm thinking all these phones are going to struggle with low light movement and its why I'm not basing my decision on which to keep based on the camera.
22502033feae5f7442e22b7b73bd0768.jpg

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
8fbd540a0c58da3f2ca3e4593c9fd69b.jpg
this image was also indoor light only. Shutter speed was 1/10s. Not much faster than your 1/8. My cat wasn't wanting to stay still (like cats are). Not manual. Full auto mode. Just pulled out and tapped button.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170423/8fbd540a0c58da3f2ca3e4593c9fd69b.jpg this image was also indoor light only. Shutter speed was 1/10s. Not much faster than your 1/8. My cat wasn't wanting to stay still (like cats are). Not manual. Full auto mode. Just pulled out and tapped button.

See now thats what I would expect from this camera although it looks like yours was taken with some outside light coming through.. Ill try some more tonight as it gets a bit darker and theres no outside light coming in.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I gave up the G6 for the s8+ because of the same issue but I'm have the same experience with the s8. I just downloaded the sports mode and will play with that to see if it helps.

I did the same last year and gave up the G5 for the s7 because although I loved the G5 camera for still shots or in good light when it came to taking indoor shots of my young kids all I ever got was blur blur blur. I was about to pull the trigger on the G6 this year until I got saw the same complaints on here.

Tried Sports Mode there and got my 2yr old to run across the room and it was fairly blurry still. Tried again just with Auto Mode and there was barely any blur weirdly when you'd expect the opposite. I'm sure the s7 had another mode called Motion Shot too that's not available for the s8?

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
46f71fbcd91cd0ddabdec1a7ffb1bc61.jpg
redid photo. Closed. Curtain and turned off other light. Only light source is dining room overhead. Still 1/10 shutter but probably bumped up iso.

Well, there is bathroom light in back but that's not what's lighting up the cat

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Well, if the shutter speed is only 1/8s, yeah pretty much any noticeable movement will give you blur. The shutter is too slow. Even if I pull out my big Panasonic, 1/8s shutter will give me blur with motion. If you want no motion blur in such lighting the shutter needs to be faster. Which means the iso needs bumped up if you want to maintain exposure. The issue here is the camera auto mode is probably exposing for the overall lighting of the scene. Exposing for motion would increase shutter speed and up iso. Image quality suffers but motion is captured better. Best solution would be to use manual mode but if Samsung had a tuned auto scene mode to do this it'll be even easier .I haven't experimented with those yet. I tend to just go into pro mode.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay