Disappointed with the S8 camera

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I took this to check out the colors on the camera and I think it's really a pretty good Camera.

Attachments

• 10937.jpg
    10937.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 77

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Okay, here are two pictures taken yesterday at Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve in Lancaster, CA.

S8, no edits

f6d1b8cf21d8e974f4f960bc5a957c77.jpg

Pixel, no edits
c8dcac40a3fcb4019ff6adcbed263d56.jpg

Last edited:

smoothrunnings

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
There is always movement. I would love to see you stand perfectly still without moving or breathing. If you are that worried, switch your Samsung into sport mode, which will increase the shutter speed making any kind of movement very hard to see.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
The camera is good, but not mind blowing. It uses the same sensors as the S7, which had a very good camera. Sammy focuses on ultra fast and clear pictures. If you want better color, you should use the manual mode settings.

I think that the camera is good but I agree that it's not mind blowing.

Jazzamuffin

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
In regards to camera... Remember this: lighting matters...Subject matters and the person taking the picture matters...Even with dslr...There's a lot to consider...In this society we want instant everything and yeah pictures should be instantly great but unless the sun is out and the sky is blue...There will be variables.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Okay, here are two pictures taken yesterday at Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve in Lancaster, CA.

S8, no edits

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170424/f6d1b8cf21d8e974f4f960bc5a957c77.jpg

Pixel, no edits
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170424/c8dcac40a3fcb4019ff6adcbed263d56.jpg

I kind of see the Pixel over-saturating the pic. I see more variations of color (esp. orange and yellow) in the top pic. Yellow is 'almost' missing from the bottom pic. The bottom one does look more vivbrant/vivid but most likely due to over saturation.

Which picture was closest to the real thing is what I want to know?

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I kind of see the Pixel over-saturating the pic. I see more variations of color in the top pic. The bottom one does look more vivbrant/vivid but most likely due to over saturation.

Which picture was closest to the real thing is what I want to know?
Actually the S8 one. Also it was really windy so I'm surprised that I was actually able to capture the Poppy flowers.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
This matches my opinion exactly.
I still grab my wife's iPhone 7 plus to get nice Portrait Mode shots of the kids etc. I think the 7 plus cameras can turn normally average shots into really nice ones

The iPhone 7 Plus portrait mode leaves a small outline of distortion on all pics. It's a wonderful camera but if you want Bokeh get a DSLR and a Prime lens. That's not a negative but it's my observations using the iPhone. I loved my pics from the ocean this winter on Vacation but they lose a lot of detail when cropped. I can't say the S8 is better or worse but it's a great camera as well.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I've been disappointed in the S8 camera as well. The iPhone 7 plus and the Pixel have killer cameras and software, and unfortunately the S8 just isn't as good. It is very close mind you, but the biggest strength of it's competitors is that you can snap a picture and it will turn out great 99% of the time without fiddling or tweaking settings (which, ironically, the S7s did as well). I feel like Samsung has almost reverted here to the S5 or S6 where you might get great photos 75% of the time, bit that other 25% requires fiddling with settings to get the best pictures.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Well for me the Pixel and S8 Camera are comparable, with the Pixel winning in low light. But the difference is just a matter of preference. But in no way is the S8 camera disappointing imo

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
... It is very close mind you, but the biggest strength of it's competitors is that you can snap a picture and it will turn out great 99% of the time without fiddling or tweaking settings (which, ironically, the S7s did as well). I feel like Samsung has almost reverted here to the S5 or S6 where you might get great photos 75% of the time, bit that other 25% requires fiddling with settings to get the best pictures.

I've not had a chance to play with the camera a lot, by my initial impression is the S8 might be more sensitive to subject motion or camera shake than the S7 in indoor shots. I noticed that in taking some pictures of my daughter in pictures where she was standing still generally came out better than pictures from my S7. Pictures where she was moving seemed a bit less consistent.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I've not had a chance to play with the camera a lot, by my initial impression is the S8 might be more sensitive to subject motion or camera shake than the S7 in indoor shots. I noticed that in taking some pictures of my daughter in pictures where she was standing still generally came out better than pictures from my S7. Pictures where she was moving seemed a bit less consistent.

It definitely is, and very noticeably so. Either the OIS or the image processing just isn't as good as the S7.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I think that the camera is good but I agree that it's not mind blowing.

The camera was the deciding factor, nail in the coffin, last straw (insert metaphor here)....

i don't think there is any way to say this WITHOUT it sounding bad, so here goes... the ONLY thing that "blew my mind" about the S8 Plus was its price, which is WHY i returned it.

Camera was good but NOT great, battery life was good but not GREAT, new O/S was good but not great, speaker quality was good but not GREAT, ...you get the point....

Sadly, I was very disappointed, for almost 900 bucks i expected so much more, and for the 72 hours i owned it every time i picked it up to do ANYTHING, i just couldn't help but feel its, "pinch to my pocketbook"... ouch!

I am certain i will enjoy ALL of its features THAT MUCH MORE when i can pick one up for about half its current price.

Its weird how much an "up front" cost can affect your overall view of something. If i were on "Jump On Demand and just "switched to this phone" without feeling ANY additional out of pocket costs, i'm sure i'd of been like, "sweeeeet"! But since that was not the case, there is no way i could have forgiven such an expensive device delivering almost the same experience a 400 - 500 dollar phone can....

And its NOT solely about "saving the Benjamins" either, becuz i just installed a $2000.00 power step in my truck when an N-Fab would have totally done the trick for a third of the price, but i TOTALLY feel the value of the power step EVERY TIME i open my truck door... The S8+, not so much...i don't see where they come off charging that much for their phone. Their expenses shouldn't be the consumer's problem, and in this case i feel it is....

Had they charged $499 for S8 and $599 for S8 Plus, they would've wreaked havoc in the cell phone industry, AND i think they could have easily made same profit by selling millions upon millions more, but at the price point they have chosen, i just don't see the S8 & S8+ deserving of a Hail Mary pass....

BTC

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae