Galaxy S8 or S8+

Jamie Stone4

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Hey,

Just for future reference, if and when I get the new S8 (Waiting for a price drop, or if I get lucky in a giveaway :p) do you recommend the s8 or the s8+? I have the S6 (regular, flat) and it fits in my hand comfortably and I can just about reach the top of the phone (The very top) if the bottom of my palm is touching the bottom. I know the fingerprint scanner isn't in the best space which is why I'm wondering if it would be useable for me (Right handed). I would use iris scanning at all times but if I'm using Samsung/Android pay it would be easier to just place my finger on the sensor instead of waving my phone around in front of me.

Only reason I would want the bigger version is because of Battery, not really a bigger screen considering that the regular screen is already relatively big in the first place. Or, from experience, does the bigger screen cancel out increased battery?

I know I've dragged on, but I really want to make the right decision.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Hey,

Just for future reference, if and when I get the new S8 (Waiting for a price drop, or if I get lucky in a giveaway :p) do you recommend the s8 or the s8+? I have the S6 (regular, flat) and it fits in my hand comfortably and I can just about reach the top of the phone (The very top) if the bottom of my palm is touching the bottom. I know the fingerprint scanner isn't in the best space which is why I'm wondering if it would be useable for me (Right handed). I would use iris scanning at all times but if I'm using Samsung/Android pay it would be easier to just place my finger on the sensor instead of waving my phone around in front of me.

Only reason I would want the bigger version is because of Battery, not really a bigger screen considering that the regular screen is already relatively big in the first place. Or, from experience, does the bigger screen cancel out increased battery?

I know I've dragged on, but I really want to make the right decision.

I'd advise the standard S8. Battery has actually been good for me so far, and I work in a dead zone. Also, I don't use the FPS myself, but reaching for it (also right handed) really isn't a issue.

I can't really speak on the S8+. I've handled it in store a little. It actually feels great in hand and actually fits in a pocket quite well. I never bothered to reach for the FPS.

The S8 really hits that sweat spot, in terms of size.

burrzoo

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
S8+ for sure. I have small hands and can easily reach the fps. The larger screen real estate is a fantastic extra bonus!
The Iris scanner works perfectly for me... With glasses 👓!

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
The s8 hits the sweet spot for me.

I'm using the s7 right now and that's plenty big enough so the slightly taller but less wide s8 for me makes it more comfortable to hold. Plus for me in the U.K the extra £90 for a s8+ I can't warrant. I buy sim free.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I'd advise the standard S8. Battery has actually been good for me so far, and I work in a dead zone. Also, I don't use the FPS myself, but reaching for it (also right handed) really isn't a issue.

I can't really speak on the S8+. I've handled it in store a little. It actually feels great in hand and actually fits in a pocket quite well. I never bothered to reach for the FPS.

The S8 really hits that sweat spot, in terms of size.
@gendo667

May I ask if you find the s8 screen is over reflective on the edges which I've heard in some YouTube reviews ?

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I went with the S8+ because of bigger battery and larger screen size, but if you want a smaller-sized phone, definitely get the S8. Both have fast charging so if the battery runs low, you can charge it quite fast.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
@gendo667

May I ask if you find the s8 screen is over reflective on the edges which I've heard in some YouTube reviews ?
This is my first Samsung device which makes this my first phone with an edge screen. I've experienced no reflection, or at least haven't noticed, which makes it a non-issue. Also, no learning curve. I've made no adjustments at all. I mention this since I've read that the edge screen on previous phones was more aggressive.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I went with the S8+ because of bigger battery and larger screen size, but if you want a smaller-sized phone, definitely get the S8. Both have fast charging so if the battery runs low, you can charge it quite fast.
Lol so you got one huh? I feel like I've watched you criticize this phone forever only to end up getting it.

dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Like what some here have said, I too went with the S8+ solely due to the bigger battery (3500 mAh), although the big screen size was something I also considered. In terms of dimensions, according to the specs listed on GSM Arena, it's only 0.42 inch taller and 0.21 inch wider than the regular S8, so it's not that much of a difference. Battery life is something I take as a priority when selecting a new phone. For me, the S8+ is a clear winner, although I've seen the regular S8 also has very good battery life for a 3000 mAh battery.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Lol so you got one huh? I feel like I've watched you criticize this phone forever only to end up getting it.

I did criticize it. But then once I held it in my hand at Verizon, and played around with all of the features, it was something that I just had to have and I don't regret my purchasing decision one bit.

Mike1117

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
I upgraded from am S6 edge to the S8+ and have not regretted my choice for 1 second. Love the big screen. Easy for me tho manage because the width is very manageable in your hand.

frellingfrakker

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I love the bigger screen on the + but the battery is the key factor. Based on reviews and forums it seems like the + gets a couple of extra hours of screen time which is pretty big.

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Which one do you "gravitate" to at the store? If you had to buy one in the next 10-seconds, which would you buy? --------------- Out of time, what did you decide?

Jamie Stone4

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for all of your replies. If I DO get the chance I'll check them out at an EE/carphone warehouse store and see which one I like better but at the moment I'm leaning towards the s8+ from all of the replies.

My s6 is only 9 months old so I'll probably get enough life out of it before upgrading. Now just gotta figure out the colour :). Artic silver looks nice but since that isn't available in the UK :/

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I pre ordered the s8 at my local Samsung Experience Store today ,and pick it up this Friday.

I've made a few trips to play with both variants in the Shop and spent a good hour today making my mind up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007