07-02-2017 11:50 PM
186 ... 23456 ...
tools
    I thought that was the LG G6 that did that. Samsung does it also?
    Yeah Samsung has done it for awhile .. Since the S5.. Or maybe the S6.
    04-26-2017 01:19 PM
    If I recall correctly the Samsung one can get up to 1k nits but only when in direct sunlight. Samsung boosts it a ton when in direct sunlight (more then the person can do with the brightness bar).
    Correct. Auto-brightness only and in direct light.
    Almeuit likes this.
    04-26-2017 01:36 PM
    Had the same problem with Clash Royale and Soul Hunters. Neither are graphic intensive games but both drop frames on the S8+. This is very noticeable when playing a game like Clash Royale PVP in real time. Also, I've yet to find a game on the S8+ that utilizes the full screen..
    It's pretty sad that we can't match the iPhone in gaming with all these super high specs. This is pretty much my only complain on the S8+.. Gaming should be smooth with these specs. If I couldn't run The Witcher 3 on my PC in max settings and get atleast a steady 70fps on 1440p, I would be pissed.
    Crimsonforce likes this.
    04-26-2017 01:58 PM
    It's pretty sad that we can't match the iPhone in gaming with all these super high specs. This is pretty much my only complain on the S8+.. Gaming should be smooth with these specs. If I couldn't run The Witcher 3 on my PC in max settings and get atleast a steady 70fps on 1440p, I would be pissed.
    There is a nice explanation that I read some time ago from a developer with various apps and games on both platforms and basically he explains how developing an app or a game on iOS first to then port it to Android heavily affects the performance on Android, it was a very technical programming stuff that is no easy to understand if you don't know about programming but basically Android still using Java and iOS using C++ ( I think) and the way both uses the CPU cores makes it very hard for Android to keep it up on that scenario and according to his words is totally unfair for Android.

He mentioned that the only way both OS can have similar performance on Apps and Games is basically doing both from scratch and even then, the way Java manages Cores on the CPU makes it harder (hence the needs for the latest and greatest silicone from Samsung and Qualcomm) for heavy CPU usage apps to keep it up.

But just like I mentioned above, there is no way that I can exchange the tons of features and benefits I get from the S8 and Android in general for opening a game 1 second faster.
    04-26-2017 02:31 PM
    There is a nice explanation that I read some time ago from a developer with various apps and games on both platforms and basically he explains how developing an app or a game on iOS first to then port it to Android heavily affects the performance on Android, it was a very technical programming stuff that is no easy to understand if you don't know about programming but basically Android still using Java and iOS using C++ ( I think) and the way both uses the CPU cores makes it very hard for Android to keep it up on that scenario and according to his words is totally unfair for Android.

He mentioned that the only way both OS can have similar performance on Apps and Games is basically doing both from scratch and even then, the way Java manages Cores on the CPU makes it harder (hence the needs for the latest and greatest silicone from Samsung and Qualcomm) for heavy CPU usage apps to keep it up.

But just like I mentioned above, there is no way that I can exchange the tons of features and benefits I get from the S8 and Android in general for opening a game 1 second faster.
    Something that needs to be fixed then because it will continue to make Android look bad.
    04-26-2017 02:36 PM
    Aside from Samsung's usual lackluster scrolling issues (why, still?) I wasn't seeing any lag at all on my S8+ - and then I made the mistake of switching to Nova Prime as the launcher. I don't care how creative that launcher allows one to be, it's a resource hog and choked my S8+. Switched back to the native launcher, no lag experienced at all. It's not as smooth as my iPhone 7+, but I realized a long time ago that Android will never be as smooth as iOS, even on the Pixel. They're different beasts, and that's OK.
    04-26-2017 02:41 PM
    Something that needs to be fixed then because it will continue to make Android look bad.
    Don't think there is an easy way of doing it without a major Android core change.

Just different approaches, 1 more efficient to the other, but again, and I can't mention it enough, in order for Apple to get away with it they needed to compensate for in other places, and I prefer to have the freedom and customization on Android than the iOS's approach just for the sake of opening some apps (in most cases games because there are some apps that are definitely better on iOS simply because that's the way the developer clearly wants it) 1 second faster.

And no, for me it doesn't make Android look bad just different, well, at least not to the eyes of unbiased or well informed users.
    04-26-2017 02:48 PM
    Aside from Samsung's usual lackluster scrolling issues (why, still?) I wasn't seeing any lag at all on my S8+ - and then I made the mistake of switching to Nova Prime as the launcher. I don't care how creative that launcher allows one to be, it's a resource hog and choked my S8+. Switched back to the native launcher, no lag experienced at all. It's not as smooth as my iPhone 7+, but I realized a long time ago that Android will never be as smooth as iOS, even on the Pixel. They're different beasts, and that's OK.
    I never thought TouchWiz would be considered lighter and faster than Nova Prime.
    sangs likes this.
    04-26-2017 03:10 PM

your missing the point. if it lags 1 sec or whatever after 4-5 days in 3-4 months it could lag 5 sec. thats one of the knocks on Sammy.
    04-26-2017 03:28 PM
    I'm talking about an iPhone LCD, not your LG.
    My LG V10 looks fairly comparable to my in laws iPhone 7 plus. But I'll admit I didn't do any real hardcore comparisons. Just casually looking at it.
    jjinal likes this.
    04-26-2017 03:29 PM
    No lag on mine so far. As others have said not as "buttery smooth" (God I hate that term) as the iPhone 7 or Pixel but definitely the smoothest Samsung phone I've had. Honestly this phone is so good I dont care if it has a stutter here and there or takes a second longer to open an app. The pros far outweigh the cons on this device. I know a few months down the line will be the real test but for now i'm satisfied with it.
    jjinal and sangs like this.
    04-26-2017 03:47 PM
    I thought that was the LG G6 that did that. Samsung does it also?
    Samsung did it before LG started doing it on their phones
    04-26-2017 03:52 PM
    your missing the point. if it lags 1 sec or whatever after 4-5 days in 3-4 months it could lag 5 sec. thats one of the knocks on Sammy.
    No I'm not missing the point simply because I've had every single Samsung Flagship for the past 5 years and I haven't seen any lag because of time since the S3, that sucker hated the OS updates.

I just traded in my S7 edge that I had since it was released last year, granted that I've got 4 o 5 additional phones since then, but I always switched Sim card between the S7 edge and the other phone I bought. Being my work phone I couldn't sell it so the other phone was always the replaceble one, but until last Friday it was working just like the first day. Only time it showed kind of a lag was while booting up until all services loaded.

Why the difference with others? Well once a month I always go to Settings-Storage and clear apps cache and then do the wipe cache partition in Recovery mode. I do this in all my Android phones no matter the brand. Old habits.
    04-26-2017 04:01 PM
    From what I've read r saw in video, the S8 will hit 1000 when brightness is set at auto mode and it's gotta be super bright out outside for it to push it to 1000.

So does it only hit 1000 when playing HDR?
    04-26-2017 05:41 PM
    So what do you know about Arrow Launcher? Is it a hog like Nova? Microsoft claims it's light and fast.
    04-26-2017 05:41 PM
    From what I've read r saw in video, the S8 will hit 1000 when brightness is set at auto mode and it's gotta be super bright out outside for it to push it to 1000.
    I think I just experienced it at my kids game. Nobody else could see their screens but I had no problems at all.
    04-26-2017 05:42 PM
    Doesn't have to be super bright.. just the sun needs to be out.
    04-26-2017 06:14 PM
    Despite reassurances Samsung has weird stutter and a slight ghosting effect. Samsung tried bringing in perfection with S8. Same old Samsung problems seem to remain
    James E1 and zipro like this.
    04-28-2017 01:40 AM
    Coming from a Pixel (and still having one to compare side by side) it's a night and day difference in favor of the Pixel.
    This is how I felt when testing it out. It is by no means slow. The Pixel's fluidity is just on another level.
    zipro likes this.
    04-28-2017 02:15 AM
    If you feel this way, why do you keep buying their phones?
    Deep seated optimism that this year they figured it out?
    04-28-2017 06:30 AM
    More likely he didn't buy the phone at all but it's just one of those anti Samsung trolls that hate it when Samsung has a good phone.
    No need for name calling, easier to ask them sincere questions than to assume someone's motivation is disreputable.
    04-28-2017 06:50 AM
    Deep seated optimism that this year they figured it out?
    That's a very expensive optimism lol.

Samsung for the most part has figured it out. But because it's Samsung they're always going to have that stigma amongst detractors no matter what they do.
    04-28-2017 07:24 AM
    That's a very expensive optimism lol.

Samsung for the most part has figured it out. But because it's Samsung they're always going to have that stigma amongst detractors no matter what they do.
    I agree Samsung has come a long, long way. Most of what's left is just icing.
    04-28-2017 07:34 AM
    Today lag came back with a vengeance. Trying to scroll through the recent apps list was horrendous. Knowing that Samsungs has had many lag issues in the past and some other things I just didnt like Ive returned mine and gone back to the G6. S8 is a good phone, just not for me. Enjoy everyone.
    04-28-2017 05:28 PM
    No lag here at all! A LOT faster and less lag than the Note 7 I had. So much smoother than the Note 7 which had lag. Overall after a week I'm really impressed how fast it is and the battery life. While I would still rather have the Note 7 still, this phone performs a lot better than it.
    04-28-2017 06:57 PM
186 ... 23456 ...