07-02-2017 11:50 PM
186 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Today lag came back with a vengeance. Trying to scroll through the recent apps list was horrendous. Knowing that Samsungs has had many lag issues in the past and some other things I just didnt like Ive returned mine and gone back to the G6. S8 is a good phone, just not for me. Enjoy everyone.
    I know what you're talking about as my note 4 had those issues. After a factory reset it was very fluid and fast. Few days to weeks later it went downhill fast. Regardless of what apps I did or didn't install. One time after a reset I purposefully didn't install any app that wasn't already pre-installed. Did not matter. Lag and stutter was everywhere. Traded it for a LG G4 and was amazed at how much smoother and faster that phone was, despite it not really being any faster spec wise. So far my S8+ is just as lag free as day 1. And I haven't even rebooted it once. Installed quite a few apps. Time will tell if it stays this way
    04-28-2017 08:22 PM
    Still loving my S8. My battery life has been seriously impressive. Very fast processor, gorgeous screen (I've already been stopped twice to ask if this was the new Samsung). Plus, I use Samsung Pay and no other phone comes close to offering anything better. And, I'm looking forward to the full roll out of Bixby.

No way I'm giving up this bad boy!
    04-28-2017 08:27 PM
    I've noticed this coming out of a couple apps, specifically the stock browser. It'll drop frames like crazy and then catch back up. I've also had the stock browser lock up so completely I had to force the app close and reopen it. The app drawer has also been a bit laggy due to the animation. I'm returning mine, but it has more to do with screen imperfections (pink edges and a mixture of yellow stains) than anything.
    04-28-2017 09:54 PM
    Yes quite a bit of frame dropping on my s8+. Disappointing
    05-01-2017 12:33 PM
    Update: Yesterday the lag was CRAZY. I finally did an FDR. Nice and fluid again. HOWEVER...

I haven't connected my Gear s3 yet. I haven't connected it to my car BT. I haven't activated Samsung Pay yet.
    I'm wondering if it's all the connections that can cause the lag?
    When i add these things today...if the lag returns...so will the phone (back to Verizon.) Too bad...i've been with Sammy since the original S.
    05-01-2017 02:04 PM
    Still loving my S8. My battery life has been seriously impressive. Very fast processor, gorgeous screen (I've already been stopped twice to ask if this was the new Samsung). Plus, I use Samsung Pay and no other phone comes close to offering anything better. And, I'm looking forward to the full roll out of Bixby.

No way I'm giving up this bad boy!
    Pixel + Samsung Gear S3(Samsung Pay). Best of both world.
    05-01-2017 02:25 PM
    Update: Yesterday the lag was CRAZY. I finally did an FDR. Nice and fluid again. HOWEVER...

I haven't connected my Gear s3 yet. I haven't connected it to my car BT. I haven't activated Samsung Pay yet.
    I'm wondering if it's all the connections that can cause the lag?
    When i add these things today...if the lag returns...so will the phone (back to Verizon.) Too bad...i've been with Sammy since the original S.
    I doubt all the connections are related to any lag as I have exactly all of those and mine is working as expected, fluid and smooth.
    05-01-2017 02:36 PM
    I had stutter on my first one. I also had random reboots and a salmon display. I swapped it, and none of the issues are present on this one. Buttery smooth.
    05-01-2017 02:47 PM
    I haven't turned down the animations or entered developer options on my s8+. Haven't felt the need to because this phone is extremely fast and smooth. I also have mine on 1440p and have every app fit to screen in the settings.

The only time I experienced any freezing was when I was watching a flossy Carter video and while playing, resize the window to a smaller one. The audio would keep playing but video would freeze. Come to find out, it only happened on that one flossy Carter video. Any other videos and multi tasking works flawlessly.
    05-01-2017 02:53 PM
    Same problem here. Coming from a Pixel and having this kind of lag is terribly frustrating.
    05-06-2017 08:01 AM
    Damn, I miss my pixel. I think it's coming back..
    05-06-2017 08:10 AM
    Interesting
    05-06-2017 08:12 AM
    Try with a pixel. Believe me. You'll never have this conversations about lags
    05-06-2017 08:26 AM
    I don't notice any major lag on my phone and I have a lot of apps on it. Didn't have any lag on my previous S7E, however the lag on my S5 was horrendous. So I usually compare my experience with the S5 with the current phone I have and my current one is flying compared to the S5. My S8+ has never had issues with performance, no matter what I am doing on the phone.
    05-06-2017 08:42 AM
    Try with a pixel. Believe me. You'll never have this conversations about lags
    If Pixel is this mind blowing phone, why are people leaving it the moment something new comes out?
    05-06-2017 09:24 AM
    If Pixel is this mind blowing phone, why are people leaving it the moment something new comes out?
    Bezels.
    05-06-2017 11:04 AM
    try this: Go to settings > apps > and find the app Lookout and just press the disable button.

For me, at least, I noticed a slight improvement in performance.

disclaimer: yes, I'm sure there are benefits to having Lookout scan and ensure all your apps are safe, but I get all my apps from the play store, and stick with ones I know. Do this at your own risk/responsibility.
    06-02-2017 02:10 PM
    Mind blowing in terms of software performance and fluidity. Not in terms of hardware, Pixel is the best at the same time most boring. S8 is this fancy looking, great hardware thing but with it's flaws when it comes to buttery smooth performance. Not everyone will notice and for majority not an issue but there are small percentage of people for whom that matters.
    06-02-2017 03:06 PM
    Mind blowing in terms of software performance and fluidity. Not in terms of hardware, Pixel is the best at the same time most boring. S8 is this fancy looking, great hardware thing but with it's flaws when it comes to buttery smooth performance. Not everyone will notice and for majority not an issue but there are small percentage of people for whom that matters.
    That's fair, and I think you're pretty dead on. The problems that have arisen on the S8 have gone unnoticed since I wrote that post, even though I still think S8 is still the best phone on the market thus far.
    06-02-2017 03:52 PM
    Lag is here. Came a few days after owning. If you've never used a device like a Pixel or HTC 10 you're not likely to notice it because the S8 is noticeably faster than all other Android devices besides those. Coming from a Pixel (and still having one to compare side by side) it's a night and day difference in favor of the Pixel. Didn't start though until about third day. I've tried all display settings, performance options and dev settings and it's just typical Samsung with not having the best software optimization.

With Samsung you also have to factor in how much you customize your device. Samsung doesn't handle launchers or default app replacements well in most cases long term. People using stock Samsung Experience launcher are likely to have a better experience than someone using Nova for example (I'm using Nova)
    Not having these issues with 8+ 835 and have about 300 apps installed. Had since launch. The only apps that do stutter are Dolphin and more intense PPSSPP games. Throttling starts after about ten minutes when the device is barely warm.
    06-02-2017 04:37 PM
    Not having these issues with 8+ 835 and have about 300 apps installed. Had since launch. The only apps that do stutter are Dolphin and more intense PPSSPP games. Throttling starts after about ten minutes when the device is barely warm.
    Right. What he posted isn't my experience at all. Quite the opposite actually.
    06-02-2017 04:44 PM
    Going on. 2 weeks with my S8 plus on AT&T and super fast with no slow down at all. Have you done any device maintenance at all? Go into your settings and select device maintenance this should help.
    06-02-2017 05:39 PM
    The most smooth, fluid Samsung phone I have ever owned PERIOD and I have owned most of them. I also had Nexus 6, 5x, 6P, and Pixel XL. While this is not a pixel smooth phone, it is so very dang close. Amazing performance, I have had my S8 Plus for about a month now. I do restart every 5 to 7 days, things are just perfect!
    06-02-2017 08:04 PM
    I just received my S8 on at&t Friday and noticed there is a stutter whenever I press the home key if I'm either leaving the stock Internet app or gallery. I did open up developer options and reduced the animation scale from 1x to .5x on all categories.

In addition whenever I connect to WiFi, I get a lag whenever I try an open up any app. Today, I had snapchat freeze and I got a message saying "unfortunately snapchat has stopped." This has never happened on my Note 5.

I noticed this is more apparent if I use WQHD+ and it's slightly less likely to stutter whenever I am on FHD. I've even tried a soft reset but it still occurs. I'm thinking of doing a hard reset but it's just disappointing this is a new device and I wasn't expecting this. My Note 5 runs buttery smooth compared to my S8.
    The lag when closing the browser by pressing the home button is on every Snapdragon S8+ device. You can literally go pick random devices in the store and you will see this. Also, random stutter and lag, dropped frames, they all happen too. This is easy to reproduce if you are dining a bunch of updates from the Play Store. Depending on how many apps are downloading and installing it can be pretty severe. I can't speak for Exynos. It often runs better than Snapdragon.

This isn't news to me though. Every single Android device has had these issues since the dawn of time. Only Pixel devices are genuinely smooth, almost all of the time anyway. None of them run like an iPhone but the comparison is a bit unfair as Apple designs for their own chips.
    06-02-2017 08:13 PM
    Samsung phones usually develop lag eventually. You get used to it or factory reset
    06-02-2017 08:15 PM
186 ... 34567 ...