Anyone having lag or stutter issues?

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I second the iPhone 7 Plus comment. The S8+ is much slower in direct comparison and if you go between devices, this is quite annoying. My wife's former S8+ (now returned it because of the purple color cast on the top edge of the screen) had noticeable lag all over. Sometimes it would take a second or two to unlock, apps sometimes took a second to start loading, scrolling in Bixby was rather choppy too. The S7e never showed that kind of behavior. In this respect as well as in terms of quality control, we've been rather disappointed with the S8+.

Should say that I'm taking about the Exynos version here.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Here and there present but nothing major, you'll probably notice if you have an iPhone 7 plus or Pixel XL. Haven't used an Android phone yet which was buttery smooth like Pixel XL even after many months. But the S8+ is damn smooth as well given it's plenty of more features than iPhone, Pixel. Honestly I never expected this to be stutter free here and there once in a while. My main test is how it'll be behave few months down the line, if it performs like the way it does now then I have nothing to complain given how feature rich this phone is.

Last edited:

GrumpyMomofMacR

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
Yes I have exactly the same problem. Oh and I have a faint but thick pink ring around my display, too. AT&T Samsung S8+ purchased through Samsung's web site so it is going to be a pain to return it if I ever have to. I set it up as new. I'll try putting it back to FHD.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Here and there present but nothing major, you'll probably notice if you have an iPhone 7 plus or Pixel XL. Haven't used an Android phone yet which was buttery smooth like Pixel XL even after many months. But the S8+ is damn smooth as well given it's plenty of more features than iPhone, Pixel. Honestly I never expected this to be stutter free here and there once in a while. My main test is how it'll be behave few months down the line, if it performs like the way it does now then I have nothing to complain given how feature rich this phone is.

^

accordex#AC

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
No lag here either and I'm very sensitive to it as well. My S7 Edge was extremely laggy. Haven't seen a single hiccup yet. This phone feels like it's actually optimized for once.

the_munc_e

Apr 3, 2017
Visit site
I haven't noticed much lag. Every now and then maybe in an app.

Feels just as smooth as my iPhone 7 which started acting up recently.

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Five days into the S8+ experience it's been trouble free, cool running/charging and the fastest device I've owned in the smartphone era. Not gloating but all is as it should be. This would seem to bode well for the Note 8.

Last edited:

ctk4949

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
For sure my Pixel XL is smoother than my S8+. When I open and close the camera there is like a 1-3 second delay.

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
I have the S8+ and iPhone 7+. The S8+ is faster than the iPhone. I've tested them side by side several times. The S8 kills the 7+.

shantheman73

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm getting rather irked today. My S8+ has been smooth with no lag...Until today. Now I'm pressing the home button...And it doesn't even recognize the touch for a full second or two...Then I get the haptic feedback and visible screen touch.

Additionally...When unlocking the phone...The screen won't recognize any touches for a few seconds at all. It's inconsistent...and very annoying.

I have minimal apps download and bloatware disabled. What in the world!?

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I was having lag issues the first couple days, so I started saying with the settings. I unlocked developer settings and changed animations to .5 and tried that for a day or two, but it just made things worse: the software started having glitches and dropped frames so everything looked janky. Eventually I ended up changing it back and the phone got better. I also changed the screen resolution back and forth between FHD and QHD, and I eventually settled in FHD. I have great eyesight and normally can tell the difference ​between the sharpness of displays, but honestly I haven't missed QHD and like some others have mentioned there seems to be a correlation between FHD and smoother performance. One app that seemed to have performance problems was Facebook: every time I clicked on an "instant article" it would struggle loading and drop frames, resulting in janky performance.

I was really down on the S8 for a few days because of these problems, but ever since then the phone seems to have adjusted and figured things out. It's running uch smoother now and noticably faster as well. In fsct, this is probably the fastest Samsung I've ever owned, and by a large margin. And I'm one of those people that are overly sensitive to lag and jitters, which is why Samsung phones have always disappointed me. But for now the S8 seems to have recovered and sorted itself out.

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I was having lag issues the first couple days, so I started saying with the settings. I unlocked developer settings and changed animations to .5 and tried that for a day or two, but it just made things worse: the software started having glitches and dropped frames so everything looked janky. Eventually I ended up changing it back and the phone got better. I also changed the screen resolution back and forth between FHD and QHD, and I eventually settled in FHD. I have great eyesight and normally can tell the difference ​between the sharpness of displays, but honestly I haven't missed QHD and like some others have mentioned there seems to be a correlation between FHD and smoother performance. One app that seemed to have performance problems was Facebook: every time I clicked on an "instant article" it would struggle loading and drop frames, resulting in janky performance.

I was really down on the S8 for a few days because of these problems, but ever since then the phone seems to have adjusted and figured things out. It's running uch smoother now and noticably faster as well. In fsct, this is probably the fastest Samsung I've ever owned, and by a large margin. And I'm one of those people that are overly sensitive to lag and jitters, which is why Samsung phones have always disappointed me. But for now the S8 seems to have recovered and sorted itself out.

I just changed the animations back to 1.0x. I also force stopped Facebook to see if that makes a difference. (I also wiped the cache partition too.) So far it's been a little bit more responsive. What IRKS me though is here I am having to force stop apps like Facebook on a $850 smartphone.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
I have the S8+ and iPhone 7+. The S8+ is faster than the iPhone. I've tested them side by side several times. The S8 kills the 7+.

I call bull. Most speed tests disprove that claim. iOS is still much better optimized than Android.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
It really varies. My iPhone 7 has been acting up. But really, how hard is it to optimize ios? There's not a lot going on there.

Yeah, anyone that says an iPhone does have of what this phone does is nuts. It's apples and oranges. Samsung did a hell of an optimization job on this 835 chip.

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
I call bull. Most speed tests disprove that claim. iOS is still much better optimized than Android.
Call whatever you like. I have both phones side by side. The Samsung opens apps faster and transitions between screens faster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar