Anyone having lag or stutter issues?

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I have a S8+ as my personal phone and an iPhone 7 for work. Both are great phones and both are fast and smooth. If you have either and they are laggy then something is wrong or you are a troll(worked well for this thread).

I have both and the S8+ lags. It's very well possible that something is wrong, though. It has the purple tint on the top edge and that seems to be getting worse as the device gets warmer. It also emits a smell reminiscent of a space heater when I use the camera for a while.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I actually do prefer the iPhone LCD screen over the S8+...... LCDs are just whiter and brighter.
Coming from a V10 which has a very good LCD display, the S8+ displays whites that are just as white. Even better, I can easily adjust colors and balance on here where the v10 didn't allow me to. As far as brightness? Sorry. It's no contest, this screen is FAR brighter than my V10. Outdoors it's a huge difference.

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
Coming from a V10 which has a very good LCD display, the S8+ displays whites that are just as white. Even better, I can easily adjust colors and balance on here where the v10 didn't allow me to. As far as brightness? Sorry. It's no contest, this screen is FAR brighter than my V10. Outdoors it's a huge difference.
I'm talking about an iPhone LCD, not your LG.

frellingfrakker

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I have both and the S8+ lags. It's very well possible that something is wrong, though. It has the purple tint on the top edge and that seems to be getting worse as the device gets warmer. It also emits a smell reminiscent of a space heater when I use the camera for a while.
Yeah, that sounds like a true issue. Mine has no tint and no running hot or weird smells.

Crimsonforce

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I have no issues with the phone being a second "slower" than and iPhone or a Pixel, overall the phone is smooth for a Samsung phone. Where I have the issue (and this might be more related to the developer of the apps) is the fact that I have to deal with lag and frame rate drops in games that an Iphone 6 can run smoothly on. This is supposed to be "top of the line" specs yet can't play a game without lag?

Go ahead, get an iPhone 6 and the S8+, play Marvel Contest of Champions on both and even play the line Tsum Tsum game (a game that isn't very graphic intensive) and see how smooth it is on iOS.

I still love the phone and i'm getting better battery life on it than any other phone, it can actually compare to the battery of my iPhone 7 Plus. At the end of the day though, iPhones are just more optimized, runs smoother and are more polished than any Samsung phone. I do like the new Samsung interface and I actually love that the icons are actually pretty uniformed by added a round bezel around all the ones you download. I've always hated the fact that every icon is a different shape and size on Android. I'm not one that likes using launchers and icon packs nether.

EDIT: To be fair about Marvel Contest of Champions, it lags on every Android phone and lags actually lags less on my S8+ than on the Pixel XL. So smooth even going through menus on my iPhone 7 Plus.

Had the same problem with Clash Royale and Soul Hunters. Neither are graphic intensive games but both drop frames on the S8+. This is very noticeable when playing a game like Clash Royale PVP in real time. Also, I've yet to find a game on the S8+ that utilizes the full screen..

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
At the beginning of this month I sold my Jet Black 256GB iPhone 7 Plus that I used for the past almost 4 months together with the Apple Watch I bought 2 or 3 months ago in preparation for the arrival of the S8. I consider myself an Android guy and have hated iOS limitations and restrictions since I remember, but being a tech freak I've had 4 or 5 iPhones in between my dozens of Androids, so I consider myself neutral enough to issue my opinion.

I had a Google Pixel and then a Google Pixel XL right before I got the iPhone 7 Plus and the Pixel was/is years ahead of any phone right now talking about smoothness, I mean, those ridiculous iphone Animations gets old really quick and then you appreciate a lot more what a phone like a Pixel really is and does, but man those huge bezels on the Pixels plus it is kind of boring after a while.

BUT, about the topic, my S8+ and a co-worker's S8 are as smooth as any recent phone I've had (including all the above mentioned plus, Axon 7, Note 7, HTC 10) and I can't honestly say it lags or stutters, but being honest and using somehow a similar analogy than was posted here before, I really couldn't care less if my S8 really opens a game 1 second later than an iPhone, I don't play games on it, but even if I do, are you really gonna tell me that opening games in real life where you open one game at a time not 5 or 6 of them, it really hurts to open it 1 second later? What about those same speed test videos where you are seeing the games opening faster on the iPhone, haven't you seen that most if not all the regular apps that most people use open faster on the S8 or at least at the same time than on the iPhone?

Let's do this, let me do a simple list here of a couple of things comparing both OS:

1-) What about the time you lose on an iPhone to simply closing all opened apps, one by one instead of just hitting the Close All button?
2-) The time you lose just by switching between the last 2 apps you opened, where you need to press and hold a button and then select it from the list, when in the S8 you just double press the recent apps button.
3-) When you need to open 2 or 3 apps at the same time looking for an information that you need, like in looking for info on a Browser while sending an email that will include that information on it, and you need to be switching between them the old boring and slow way, while on the S8, and now with Nougat, all the Android phones just need to activate the Multi-Windows features and have both of them opened at the same time.
4-) When you need to press at least 2 or 3 icons or buttons to take a picture and wait for the camera to open when you have n almost instant response double pressing the power button on the S8.
5-) When you need to open your phone just to see if you have a notification when you just need to see your LED light flashed or your AOD showing them.
6-) When you have 20 notifications all mixed up on your Notification area on the iOS and you need to go through all of them to find what you are looking for but just have Grouped notifications on your S8 (Android).
7-) When you need to look across all your Home screen's apps and/or folders to find your app's info when you can have even an updated widget wherever you please to have them with such.
:cool: When you need to scroll though all your Widgets in the Widgets panel to look for the one you want when you may easily have 3, 4 or 5 of them all together in your Main home Screen looking immediately at them.
9-) Limited Quick Toogles on iOS Vs Tons on S8 (Android in general).

On the hardware part now:
10-) When you need an absolute fast but good charge because you need to leave and you have no fast charging on your iPhone.
11-) When you need to connect your iPhone at night lying on your bed and need to basically get up on the bed to look for the cable and then if it's very dark be very cautious to not scratch your phone with the cable because you can't see the connection, while on the S8 you just basically drop it on your Wireless charger.

I think the above is more than enough even when I know I can think of a couple more of them to show you that maybe for gamers, that in a fantasy world can open and play 4 or 5 games at the same time, watching those ridiculous speed test videos can think that they make sense or are important, but for the real users, the ones that doesn't open 10 apps and games in a row to see how fast they are opened, Benchmarks and speed test don't matter, tools and great features are what is important, and in that category, plus being a gorgeous phone (best looking in my opinion), with the best display and one of the best if not the best camera available, the S8 shines and exceeds expectations.

People if you like iPhones better than Android, great, no shame on that, if you try the S8 and you can't deal with it giving it a fair try and yourself a chance to learn and get used to it and Android, then great, the iPhone is for you, it is a great phone, just not the best for me.

Last edited:

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
It actually goes to 1020 nits so that's also not true lol
0bf51a150c39680d5e532648c783b541.jpg

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Had the same problem with Clash Royale and Soul Hunters. Neither are graphic intensive games but both drop frames on the S8+. This is very noticeable when playing a game like Clash Royale PVP in real time. Also, I've yet to find a game on the S8+ that utilizes the full screen..

Asphalt 8. Looks excellent.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Not sure where that chart came from, but it is obviously wrong to say that the S8 Plus only achieves 565 nits of brightness. I say obviously because a device cannot be said to support HDR with less than 1000 nits possible.

As far as display quality goes, both devices boast pretty good panels. In its Basic mode, the Galaxy S8 represents colors more correctly than the G6, as the latter's color rendition is a bit off and slightly over-saturated for our liking. Both the Galaxy S8 and the LG G6 are bright enough, easily clocking in at more that 500 nits of brightness, with the S8 even capable of hitting 1000 nits in certain situations. Measuring at 8639K, the display of the G6 is noticeably colder than the more natural one on the Galaxy S8, which clocks in at 6777K.

So does it only hit 1000 when playing HDR?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
If I recall correctly the Samsung one can get up to 1k nits but only when in direct sunlight. Samsung boosts it a ton when in direct sunlight (more then the person can do with the brightness bar).

I thought that was the LG G6 that did that. Samsung does it also?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If I recall correctly the Samsung one can get up to 1k nits but only when in direct sunlight. Samsung boosts it a ton when in direct sunlight (more then the person can do with the brightness bar).

Correct. Auto-brightness only and in direct light.

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site

It's pretty sad that we can't match the iPhone in gaming with all these super high specs. This is pretty much my only complain on the S8+.. Gaming should be smooth with these specs. If I couldn't run The Witcher 3 on my PC in max settings and get atleast a steady 70fps on 1440p, I would be pissed.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
It's pretty sad that we can't match the iPhone in gaming with all these super high specs. This is pretty much my only complain on the S8+.. Gaming should be smooth with these specs. If I couldn't run The Witcher 3 on my PC in max settings and get atleast a steady 70fps on 1440p, I would be pissed.

There is a nice explanation that I read some time ago from a developer with various apps and games on both platforms and basically he explains how developing an app or a game on iOS first to then port it to Android heavily affects the performance on Android, it was a very technical programming stuff that is no easy to understand if you don't know about programming but basically Android still using Java and iOS using C++ ( I think) and the way both uses the CPU cores makes it very hard for Android to keep it up on that scenario and according to his words is totally unfair for Android.

He mentioned that the only way both OS can have similar performance on Apps and Games is basically doing both from scratch and even then, the way Java manages Cores on the CPU makes it harder (hence the needs for the latest and greatest silicone from Samsung and Qualcomm) for heavy CPU usage apps to keep it up.

But just like I mentioned above, there is no way that I can exchange the tons of features and benefits I get from the S8 and Android in general for opening a game 1 second faster.

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
There is a nice explanation that I read some time ago from a developer with various apps and games on both platforms and basically he explains how developing an app or a game on iOS first to then port it to Android heavily affects the performance on Android, it was a very technical programming stuff that is no easy to understand if you don't know about programming but basically Android still using Java and iOS using C++ ( I think) and the way both uses the CPU cores makes it very hard for Android to keep it up on that scenario and according to his words is totally unfair for Android.

He mentioned that the only way both OS can have similar performance on Apps and Games is basically doing both from scratch and even then, the way Java manages Cores on the CPU makes it harder (hence the needs for the latest and greatest silicone from Samsung and Qualcomm) for heavy CPU usage apps to keep it up.

But just like I mentioned above, there is no way that I can exchange the tons of features and benefits I get from the S8 and Android in general for opening a game 1 second faster.

Something that needs to be fixed then because it will continue to make Android look bad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781