Anyone having lag or stutter issues?

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Not having these issues with 8+ 835 and have about 300 apps installed. Had since launch. The only apps that do stutter are Dolphin and more intense PPSSPP games. Throttling starts after about ten minutes when the device is barely warm.

Right. What he posted isn't my experience at all. Quite the opposite actually.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Going on. 2 weeks with my S8 plus on AT&T and super fast with no slow down at all. Have you done any device maintenance at all? Go into your settings and select device maintenance this should help.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
The most smooth, fluid Samsung phone I have ever owned PERIOD and I have owned most of them. I also had Nexus 6, 5x, 6P, and Pixel XL. While this is not a pixel smooth phone, it is so very dang close. Amazing performance, I have had my S8 Plus for about a month now. I do restart every 5 to 7 days, things are just perfect!

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I just received my S8 on at&t Friday and noticed there is a stutter whenever I press the home key if I'm either leaving the stock Internet app or gallery. I did open up developer options and reduced the animation scale from 1x to .5x on all categories.

In addition whenever I connect to WiFi, I get a lag whenever I try an open up any app. Today, I had snapchat freeze and I got a message saying "unfortunately snapchat has stopped." This has never happened on my Note 5.

I noticed this is more apparent if I use WQHD+ and it's slightly less likely to stutter whenever I am on FHD. I've even tried a soft reset but it still occurs. I'm thinking of doing a hard reset but it's just disappointing this is a new device and I wasn't expecting this. My Note 5 runs buttery smooth compared to my S8.
The lag when closing the browser by pressing the home button is on every Snapdragon S8+ device. You can literally go pick random devices in the store and you will see this. Also, random stutter and lag, dropped frames, they all happen too. This is easy to reproduce if you are dining a bunch of updates from the Play Store. Depending on how many apps are downloading and installing it can be pretty severe. I can't speak for Exynos. It often runs better than Snapdragon.

This isn't news to me though. Every single Android device has had these issues since the dawn of time. Only Pixel devices are genuinely smooth, almost all of the time anyway. None of them run like an iPhone but the comparison is a bit unfair as Apple designs for their own chips.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Samsung phones usually develop lag eventually. You get used to it or factory reset

While I won't disagree with this, I don't think this is something exclusive to Samsung phones. IPhones are the only devices I've owned that seem to always run smoothly (iPads are a different story). This really is an Android issue, especially ones with heavy skins layered on top.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
While I won't disagree with this, I don't think this is something exclusive to Samsung phones. IPhones are the only devices I've owned that seem to always run smoothly (iPads are a different story). This really is an Android issue, especially ones with heavy skins layered on top.
And Samsung traditionally has the heaviest skin.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Most likely returning mine. S8+ is the probably the smoothest android phone I've used but it's a shame my 2 year old iPhone 6S Plus is smoother. Clash Royale on the S8+ drops a tremendous amount of frames. There's also a noticeable lag in scrolling compared to iOS. I was going to keep the S8+ or get the iPhone 8. Considering the S8+ can't out perform my 2 year old iPhone I think I'm gonna return the S8+ and get the iPhone 8 this fall..
If you are buying your phone for gaming, the iPhone will always be faster and the better choice. It just goes back to the way the hardware and software work together. Gaming is not a consideration when I'm buying a phone so when I compare the S8 to my 7 Plus, the S8 is at least as fast, if not a little faster.

Everyone has different needs so you should definitely buy the phone that works for you.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
This is the first Android device I have owned that has absolutely no lag at all. I am blown away on how well the S8 Plus works for me. I would recommend this phone to anyone.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
If Pixel is this mind blowing phone, why are people leaving it the moment something new comes out?

I gave my pixel up for an s8. The software is great but over a month into the s8 I don't notice any real difference software wise. Pixel is damn ugly co.pared to the s8 anyhow.

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
If you are buying your phone for gaming, the iPhone will always be faster and the better choice. It just goes back to the way the hardware and software work together. Gaming is not a consideration when I'm buying a phone so when I compare the S8 to my 7 Plus, the S8 is at least as fast, if not a little faster.

Everyone has different needs so you should definitely buy the phone that works for you.
Same here. No gaming at all.

henryfool3

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Opera browser has been messing up the phone badly of late. Completely freezing it for a bit before letting up. Actually switched to the beta because of it, and that seems to be a bit smoother.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
No lag/stutter at all for me. And, I'm SUPER sensitive to it - gave up my S7edge and my S6edge for that exact reason. First Samsung in 3 years that finally nailed it!

I have display quality in the default (middle) setting which I'm sure is much easier on the device.
Note 5? No lag at all

TFBisquit

Apr 23, 2017
Visit site
Opera browser has been messing up the phone badly of late. Completely freezing it for a bit before letting up. Actually switched to the beta because of it, and that seems to be a bit smoother.

Funny, I have stutters in videos I watch in opera windowed mode.
Tried opera mini but that's not good at all on my s8+.
BTW full screen videos are smooth in opera.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
That's disappointing to hear. Do you think you'll return it if it isn't going to work out? I am contemplating it but I may see about getting a replacement device.

The biggest concern you should have is either 1.plus or not or 2. do i really want it?
mostly because battery stats are not important and completely subjective,i for one go to bed at 100% , wake up the next morning at 99-98%
Stream tv with a bad wifi and a bluetooth speaker connected dropped about 5-10% in about 30-45 mins.
I give props to samsung i think the s8(plus in my case) is a joy to use. The thing is there's lots of competition these days so i'd check what's available to you before purchasing imo .

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
None lag! Only smoothness! This is coming from a previous iPhone 7 Plus owner.
Me too. I still have my 7 Plus, but this S8+ has been as smooth as any phone I've used. Every phone that I have ever used lags or studders at times. That's true for Android and iOS devices. So far the S8+ has been amazing though. No desire to use my 7 Plus.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03