Anyone having lag or stutter issues?

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I personally saw lag/stutter and returned it. I wasn't happy with the price per performance of the S8. I went from iPhone 7+ to S8 to iPhone 7. I turned in my 7+ to get the S8 and returned it and got the 7 all through T-Mobile's JUMP.

Still wanting Android I picked up the Pixel from Verizon cash and threw in my T-Mobile SIM and for me the Pixel's day to day fluidity is far superior to the S8 IMO.

That said a buddy of mine essentially did the same thing except he went iPhone 7+ to OnePlus 3T back to iPhone 7+ to S8 and couldn't be happier. He doesn't notice any lag or stutter and is crazy happy with everything especially the 360 cam.

So I guess it's either inconsistent phones (which quality is a concern) or it's a person's sensitivity to stutter and lag. A perception issues. My views are way different than my friends and it appears mine is also different from a lot on here as well.

I wonder what it is causing the discrepancy.

I'd say it's more of a perception thing,most people don't seem to have really noticed any lag issues, i have some stuter here and there but nothing major,plenty happy with my s8+ but then again just like any phone it's not for everyone. If you're happy with a pixel more power to ya :p i just found google phones to be too boring out of the box not enough to justify that price imho.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Going on 6 weeks with my S8 plus and not a bit of lag anywhere! Fastest device I have ever owned and I am also on AT&T.

Michael Alan Goff

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't have major lag issues, but I quickly turned off animations like I do with every phone I can. No matter how fast they are, I find them a waste.

Then again, you can lag any phone if you try hard enough.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
it's a smooth experience so fair for daily use running nova launcher. I do notice in games and some apps, like Snapchat, the experience isn't as smooth as my iPhone 7 plus. This seems to only be very noticable in games though but other then that it's a great Android phone.

anon(5373819)

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'd say its more of a perception thing,most people don't seem to have really noticed any lag issues, i have some stuter here and there but nothing major,plenty happy with my s8+ but then again just like any phone it's not for everyone. If you're happy with a pixel more power to ya i just found google phones to be too boring out of the box not enough to justify that price imho.
Yeah I can see why it's price per feature is low compared to the S8 but for me I care more about quick updates and in this particular case fluidity. I get the Pixel doesn't have scheduled reboots, water proofing, OIS FFC, wireless charging, one hand mode, GIF (gif as in giraffe or giant ) maker etc. that the S8 does, but I never really used those features personally. I guess I'm just as vanilla as the Pixel lol.

I like the S8 and think the S8 is a great device!!!, just wasn't for me as an individual.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I can see why it's price per feature is low compared to the S8 but for me I care more about quick updates and in this particular case fluidity. I get the Pixel doesn't have scheduled reboots, water proofing, OIS FFC, wireless charging, one hand mode, GIF (gif as in giraffe or giant ) maker etc. that the S8 does, but I never really used those features personally. I guess I'm just as vanilla as the Pixel lol.

I like the S8 and think the S8 is a great device!!!, just wasn't for me as an individual.

Which is totally fine i used nexus before then went extinct (mostly the 6p which i loved) but for me and my usage stock android i just too boring but pixels imo are worst than nexus phones mostly because for that premium price there's not really anything amazing about it it's more like just another phone in the android sea. I love my s8 but mostly because 6.2 for me is awesome but i watch tons of content on it and play emulators (18:9 makes it soooo good for that imho),although i don't use any features you mentionned :p.I'm mostly used to samsung phones and prefer what they do hardware wise (retina scanners and other "samsung functions") to me it's mostly buying the most interesting phone specially since i don't really care much for updates. Still think google makes great phones just like apple does (unless you're talking about software wise but that's another story ahah XD)

Nb : i do love me some vanilla milkshakes :D

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Agree Pixel is smoother (as, in my experience, are Apple phones). But I have no lag and consider other devices to be vanilla compared to the S8. And I don't like vanilla.

If there's a problem I do a factory reset. I understand that is anathema to many but Android has much improved the process.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I decided to buy an unlocked S8+ tonight at BestBuy. After getting everything finally setup, it seems pretty smooth. Not sure if it's any better then my S7 Edge but I've only been using it for about an hour now after setting up. I may try lowering the animation settings as well. I have 45 days to return the phone which is why I bought at BestBuy.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I decided to buy an unlocked S8+ tonight at BestBuy. After getting everything finally setup, it seems pretty smooth. Not sure if it's any better then my S7 Edge but I've only been using it for about an hour now after setting up. I may try lowering the animation settings as well. I have 45 days to return the phone which is why I bought at BestBuy.
Puts S7 Edge to shame. I am glad I made the upgrade.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Use Nova launcher instead then ? I bought the premium couple years ago for when and if my device get's laggy.
Me too. I normally go to Nova right away. This is the longest I've gone on any phone, other than the Pixel, without switching to Nova.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Me too. I normally go to Nova right away. This is the longest I've gone on any phone, other than the Pixel, without switching to Nova.

Well to be fair there's a high chance i might use it down the road if i get bored of samsung's Ui but it's mostly for fluidity purposes,since i didn't notice much lag or issues for now that's probably why i'm still not using it :p Well that and the fact i'd probably loose the edge functions ahah XD

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Well to be fair there's a high chance i might use it down the road if i get bored of samsung's Ui but it's mostly for fluidity purposes,since i didn't notice much lag or issues for now that's probably why i'm still not using it :p Well that and the fact i'd probably loose the edge functions ahah XD

I have not tried yet on the S8+, but I don't remember losing the edge functions on the S7 Edge. I could be wrong though.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I have not tried yet on the S8+, but I don't remember losing the edge functions on the S7 Edge. I could be wrong though.

I hope not 0,0 since i'm 90% sure i'll end up trying nova on the s8 but i still like the options of having the edge functions....

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
From what I've seen, besides the Weather Widget, everything else works on Nova launcher just as in Samsung Experience UI. The only other thing that was having issues before was also a widget but since S8 was released the new Calendar app and Nova versions work together very well, so full month calendar widget now works too.

There may be other things that I don't use that may not be available if not using Default launcher, nothing that I can think of though.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
From what I've seen, besides the Weather Widget, everything else works on Nova launcher just as in Samsung Experience UI. The only other thing that was having issues before was also a widget but since S8 was released the new Calendar app and Nova versions work together very well, so full month calendar widget now works too.

There may be other things that I don't use that may not be available if not using Default launcher, nothing that I can think of though.

At least now i know i can use nova in peace when the time comes :p (if it ever does ofc). Thanks for the answer though :D

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site

I hope not 0,0 since i'm 90% sure i'll end up trying nova on the s8 but i still like the options of having the edge functions....
Edge functionality will not be impacted. I used Nova Prime on my S7 Edge with no issues. Don't need it on my S8 Plus. Samsung UI works perfect on this phone. No need to replace it. 1st Samsung device to survive its launcher on my phones lol

blaine07

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Little bit of lag I have, that I notice regularly and it drives me nuts... When I hit video record button in camera. Lags 4-6 seconds. When trying to catch a funny kid moment seems like eternity before it actually starts recording 🤔😢