Facebook Messenger notification sound stopped working.

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Well, I've just spent an hour or more banging away on my S8+, trying to get the Facebook Messenger app to sound its notification sound. I went back and forth with a friend, and out of a good 30 or 40 messages or more, I might have gotten sounds on two or three of them.

Yes, I've gone through all of the app settings, and everything is set up to work properly. When I did get the sounds, I did get the sound I had set it up to use.

I have Facebook Messenger set up to also handle SMS messages, so if I can't get the dang notifications to work, it's darn near a "return the phone" issue for me -- very nearly moreso than if the phone ringtone wouldn't sound. So, I'm taking this pretty darn seriously.

I even went into the Apps settings, and cleared data for both Facebook and Facebook Messenger, and after that, I did get a notification sound -- ONCE. Then, nothing thereafter. One thing I noticed after I cleared the data was that Facebook Messenger showed a row of icons near the top -- underneath the "search for Friends" field -- instead of down at the bottom, where I had to go into Landscape orientation in order to see the right-most icon to get into my settings. So, something changed there.

I suppose I'll go ahead and uninstall and reinstall everything to do with Facebook, and see if that helps, but I'm not expecting much from that. If anyone has any ideas to send my way, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Are you using any custom ringtones, and moreover, one that's stored in SD Card? Have you tried setting it up with the default ringtone? I haven't had issues with mine so far, but I did notice before that Messenger has a nasty habit of changing the sound when updated... not on this phone, but before I did have to go in a few times to re-set the default notification sound as it was changed to something invalid after an update.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you're using a custom ringtone, go to the App Manager, select Facebook Messenger, then Permissions, and make sure it has access to your Storage/Files.

Also, make sure the custom tone is saved to the Notifications directory on Internal Storage, not the SD card.

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Well, the ringtone doesn't seem to be an issue. I have indeed added ringtones and notification sounds, but I put them all into the device memory, not onto the MicroSD card. With ringtones in the existing "Ringtones" folder and notification sounds in the existing "Notifications" folder. And though I had chosen some other notification sound, the very first thing I did was change it back to the default Messenger "ding" ringtone.

The appearance of Chat Heads seems to be at least similarly affected -- I usually have those turned off, but I tried turning them on again. And let me repeat -- it DID work two or three times during this period of "not working" -- all when I had Chat Heads on. But that was like two or three times out of 30 or 40 messages that I received over this time, of about an hour.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with "being in the app" or "being on Facebook on my computer," but I've gotten out of the app and closed out of the web site on my computer, all without improving the situation. And if there's any sense that "you won't get them unless you haven't been active in Messenger for more than x number of minutes," the very first time I noticed it (now yesterday) was when I was in Facebook on my computer, and got the notification sound there, but didn't get a notification sound on my phone, which had been sitting on my desk, and I hadn't been on Facebook or in Messenger for hours.

So, it's all just very strange. Or "inconsistent," at the least. I am getting the little bubble notification with the number of messages on the app icon, but no sounds, and no Chat Heads, even if I have them turned on. Except for the two or three times when it actually did work, when I got the Chat Heads and the sound.

I have uninstalled Messenger and reinstalled it, I have rebooted, and so on. Later on today, my friend and I will try, try again, and I'll have my S7 Edge powered up to see how it behaves, compared to the S8+. That might be interesting.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This probably isn't the case, but are you noticing the lack of notification tones only when you're within the conversation thread where the new messages are appearing? Or do they also not sound when you're in another app, or when the phone is asleep?

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
This probably isn't the case, but are you noticing the lack of notification tones only when you're within the conversation thread where the new messages are appearing? Or do they also not sound when you're in another app, or when the phone is asleep?

Yep, thought about that. I was in an hour-long conversation with a friend, who actually wanted the reverse -- she couldn't turn her sounds OFF. I think there are settings for that I'll help her with -- we're going to meet and work on that today. At any rate, several times I got out of Facebook and Messenger completely on the phone, and got out of Facebook on my computer. Still no sound. I tried rebooting my phone, and so on. Nothing seemed to help, except for the fact that every now and then, I did get those two or three notifications.

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Change the fb app ratio 18:9

Doesn't look like I can do that. If I got into Settings -> Display -> Full Screen Apps, both Facebook and Messenger are in the "greyed out" group at the top, which presumably means it's simply not possible. Unless you know of some other way to do this?

cre8tivspirit

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about messenger but I don't get any notifications for Facebook even though everything is set up correctly and I'm using stock notification sounds only. This is weird. I wouldn't be surprised if I was using a different launcher but I'm using the default launcher as well.

Hayley28

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
Well, I've just spent an hour or more banging away on my S8+, trying to get the Facebook Messenger app to sound its notification sound. I went back and forth with a friend, and out of a good 30 or 40 messages or more, I might have gotten sounds on two or three of them.

Yes, I've gone through all of the app settings, and everything is set up to work properly. When I did get the sounds, I did get the sound I had set it up to use.

I have Facebook Messenger set up to also handle SMS messages, so if I can't get the dang notifications to work, it's darn near a "return the phone" issue for me -- very nearly moreso than if the phone ringtone wouldn't sound. So, I'm taking this pretty darn seriously.

I even went into the Apps settings, and cleared data for both Facebook and Facebook Messenger, and after that, I did get a notification sound -- ONCE. Then, nothing thereafter. One thing I noticed after I cleared the data was that Facebook Messenger showed a row of icons near the top -- underneath the "search for Friends" field -- instead of down at the bottom, where I had to go into Landscape orientation in order to see the right-most icon to get into my settings. So, something changed there.

I suppose I'll go ahead and uninstall and reinstall everything to do with Facebook, and see if that helps, but I'm not expecting much from that. If anyone has any ideas to send my way, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks!

I had this problem to and have sent 2 days trying to fix it.
Eventually I worked it out.
When you press the volume buttons it increases the volume it comes up on the screen and you can see the volume increasing in the right corner press the little arrow and turn up system volume all the way and it should work. This is all it took for mine to work.
Hope this helps

Fingsey

May 28, 2017
Visit site
I have the exact issue with the S7 Edge. Everything is working fine, then suddenly while I'm using messenger all sounds stop. I get no notifications, no music playing, no ring tone for calls. The only sound I get is the keystrokes while typing a message, that's it.

If I reboot then it does come back for a while but then stops again. I have reinstalled and even restored to factory settings bit it's still the same.

I have no idea what to try next. I have no added ringtones or anything like that. I checked settings but everything is turned on.

ticoberto

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if you are still having this issue. But I was having it too once in a while it would ring it's quite annoying. But I figured it out. Go to Settings-apps- messenger. In there will be an option that says notifications. For some reason it was set to low priority and silent. I changed it and it's been working perfectly.. hope it helps.

jroan2die4

Aug 5, 2017
Visit site

Thanks!

I think I figured it out... Go to Settings then go to Apps... Look for Messenger then inside that check the Notification settings... For some reason mine was disabled... So far so good... I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S8+...

diorsnow

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
i also have the same issie but with the Galaxy J7 pro. i am not hearing Facebook notifications just the badge on the icon. also in the pages manager app of Facebook. i have done clear cache. reinstall and nothing seems to work. please helo.

Keandrea Mckinnie

Jan 12, 2018
Visit site
Hi! Idk if you fixed the problem yet but I experienced the same problem. I found that if you go to settings find general then scroll down until you see apps, hit that, and find messenger. You'll be able to tap on it and see all info regarding messenger then you hit notifications and make sure it's not on show silently which is what my android phone happen to be on. I didn't do it but it was set that way. I have a LG Stylo 3 so your settings menu might be set up differently than mine.

almaherli

Feb 27, 2018
Visit site
Make sure just the first one is ON, otherwise you will get the notification with no sound.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180227-104514.jpg
    Screenshot_20180227-104514.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 11

Goingnuts53

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
Hi! Idk if you fixed the problem yet but I experienced the same problem. I found that if you go to settings find general then scroll down until you see apps, hit that, and find messenger. You'll be able to tap on it and see all info regarding messenger then you hit notifications and make sure it's not on show silently which is what my android phone happen to be on. I didn't do it but it was set that way. I have a LG Stylo 3 so your settings menu might be set up differently than mine.

My LG Marshmallow (LGL83BL) doesn't have an "Allow Notifications" button.

My Facebook messenger sound notifications just turned off about three days ago. I get vibrate and the "pop ding" sound but no sound notifications.

scolain

Jun 11, 2020
Visit site
I know it been a long time since the last post, but I just want to share how I fixed the problem. In my case, the problem was because the notification volume on the phone was just set at zero. I know it's dumb, but it might help some people.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463