Wireless Charge with magnetic plate?

karmajack

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I love wireless charge. I also love my magnetic car mount.
But I can't find a sweet spot for the plate that doesn't interfere with the wireless charge on the S8.
I'm using the Spigen Neo Hybrid Case with a Mountech AIRSNAP mount.

I'm thinking either try the Slim Fit case, or maybe a different plate of some kind.

Anyone have success with wireless charging and magnetic phone mount with this phone?

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
But I can't find a sweet spot for the plate that doesn't interfere with the wireless charge on the S8.

I'm thinking either try the Slim Fit case, or maybe a different plate of some kind.

Anyone have success with wireless charging and magnetic phone mount with this phone?

Wireless charging will not work with the metal plate. I had the dilemma because I love both wireless charging and magnetic mounts, this was my solution:

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-IPO...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5780849

First it was too tight but I opened the clamp and removed one spring plus streched and cut the one that I left.

karmajack

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm not giving up on magnetic + wireless charge just yet. I'm in the process of modifying my Mountech Airsnap mount. I'll post results after I get it all finished.

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I tried a magnetic mount the other day -- opened the package in the car, and set it up for the drive home. Great! When I got home, I popped the phone on my wireless charger -- whoops! Big headslap on my part -- it didn't occur to me that this wouldn't work. But it sure didn't.

sctiger

May 5, 2015
Visit site

I've had some success using the round plate and placing it about 1/4" from the bottom. The phone sits a little high on the mount, but it seems to be secure. In this location, mine is able to wirelessly charge.

MalachyNG

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I have a thin enough case that my small air vent magnet mounts hold on just fine vertical or horizontal without the small metal plate.

You could also attach the metal to your case and take the case off to charge wirelessly. I mean it sorta defeats the purpose of avoiding a step to plug in the USB by adding a step to take off the case but if you already have the wireless charger and wanna use it anyway there's that option.

SBC44

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I moved the plate down to the bottom third of the back of the phone. It does sit a bit higher and may not be quite as stable, but works fine and I'm still able to use wireless charging.

karmajack

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I'll be putting some of these thin magnets inside my Neo Hybrid Case.
25pcs 12mm x 1mm 1/2" x 1/32" N52 Strong Disc Rare Earth Neodymium Thin Magnets | eBay
Then I have a Mountech AirSnap as the actual mount. But on the face of the Mountech, I'm adhering a 2.5" x 1/16" iron plate.
The plate will be plasti-dipped with an additional layer of rubber film.
The magnets in the case will be strategically placed around the charging coils, while still being within a 2.5" radius. I figure about 8 magnets total. I'm waiting on the magnets to arrive, but I'll post the results.
The problem with most magnet mounts is where their magnets are, and where they want you to install a plate. Not to mention they use too few, or weak magnets. Relocating them is the key.

abi575

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
How did that work for you?
I'll be putting some of these thin magnets inside my Neo Hybrid Case.
25pcs 12mm x 1mm 1/2" x 1/32" N52 Strong Disc Rare Earth Neodymium Thin Magnets | eBay
Then I have a Mountech AirSnap as the actual mount. But on the face of the Mountech, I'm adhering a 2.5" x 1/16" iron plate.
The plate will be plasti-dipped with an additional layer of rubber film.
The magnets in the case will be strategically placed around the charging coils, while still being within a 2.5" radius. I figure about 8 magnets total. I'm waiting on the magnets to arrive, but I'll post the results.
The problem with most magnet mounts is where their magnets are, and where they want you to install a plate. Not to mention they use too few, or weak magnets. Relocating them is the key.

Retnypd

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
I was also going crazy with my Scosche Magic mount & the metal plates. I have the new Note 8 & bought a wireless charger. No matter wich plate is used or location of plate it disrupted the magnetic field of charger. I have the Otter box defender case that comes with a plastic belt clip holster. I was about to buy a different type of mount, when an idea popped into my head. I attached the metal plate to the holster & it he'll just fine on the mount. You'll still be about to use even when the belt clip breaks off (which happens frequently.

zyad

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Horizontal plate within the bottom 4cm of my S8+ still allows wireless charging on my Tylt Vu and other cheap Amazon wireless chargers.

TalktoChuck

Sep 19, 2017
Visit site
I was also going crazy with my Scosche Magic mount & the metal plates. I have the new Note 8 & bought a wireless charger. No matter wich plate is used or location of plate it disrupted the magnetic field of charger. I have the Otter box defender case that comes with a plastic belt clip holster. I was about to buy a different type of mount, when an idea popped into my head. I attached the metal plate to the holster & it he'll just fine on the mount. You'll still be about to use even when the belt clip breaks off (which happens frequently.

I too have the Note 8 and the Scosche Mount.
I was actually hesitant to use the mount and let me tell you why.

I got my Note 8 on Sept 5 (10 days early) on preorder. The device worked fine as I was out of town for most of that time. When I returned, of course I was back using my car mount.

I typically mount and charge in my car at the same time. But suddenly, my device stopped charging. It would tell me the battery was too hot (even when the device was dead cold) and wouldn't accept any charge at all.

I was thinking maybe it was the mount interfering with the coils/battery but I'm not sure...
I actually tried wireless charging once the charging stopped (without the mount at this point), and that worked for a bit... Then that stopped too.

I've got a brand new Note8, now, and so far no issues. I must say this thread has given me a little more peace of mind on the matter, but we will see if the issue repeats itself, or if my initial unit just had some internal thermometer defect.

Ned2350

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
Just buy a nice, slim case and for the phone and put the metal plate on the case. Then just pop your phone into that case when you go out driving around. Get the simplest, lightest case you can find.

TalktoChuck

Sep 19, 2017
Visit site
Just buy a nice, slim case and for the phone and put the metal plate on the case. Then just pop your phone into that case when you go out driving around. Get the simplest, lightest case you can find.

I rock a Spigen Tough Armor. I just throw the plate between the TPU and Hard Shell layers of the case; Don't like to have that ugly plate stuck to the back, and this makes it so I never have to remove the adhesive, so I can use it with my next device (had the same one with my Nexus 6P).

jh787

May 20, 2013
Visit site
same here.

Charges fine with the plate at the bottom but doesn't feel very secure on the magnet because there is nothing holding it at the top.
I tried it with 2 magnets too so that the charging coils would stick to the second magnet but the coils don't bond to the magnet as strong as i would like.
It's usable... hasn't fell off yet but i am going to see if i can find a better solution.

GlowingMoose

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I found this one that's working for me. It even has a fan built into the back to do it down a bit while in the the dash. I do wish it had a suction mount but the sticky pad holds well even on my lightly textured dash.
iOttie iTap Wireless Fast Charging Magnetic Car Mount (I can't post url so just search for it.)

aslandholm

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
You can also cut the metal square to an inch long and put it right under the camera between the case and the phone. I've noticed if I keep it between the camera and Samsung logo my phone mount is more stable while driving than if it was at the bottom of the phone. I'm not going to take a case off and on to charge my phone - that seems redundant.

Daniel Lemke

Dec 1, 2017
Visit site
Almost a decade ago, I had a Palm Pre with a Palm-branded magnetic, wireless charging doc. I got an extra one and glued it to my dash. It was awesome. Why in the world can't we get something like that anymore? :'(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance