After cleaning my fish tank I though I could get some cool picture of the fish but some strange things happened. First, soon as the phone went in the water, the onscreen shutter button would not respond. I tried several times with no success. As soon as I took it out of the water, it worked again. Next it would zoom in all the way and I couldn't zoom out. Again, as soon as I took the phone out of the tank everything was fine. Finally, the phone would automatically switch between rear camera and front facing camera. I tried to make it work for about 15 minutes. Basically the phone was useless under water. If anyone is willing to give it a shot, lets hear your experience.
    04-24-2017 12:53 PM
    After cleaning my fish tank I though I could get some cool picture of the fish but some strange things happened. First, soon as the phone went in the water, the onscreen shutter button would not respond. I tried several times with no success. As soon as I took it out of the water, it worked again. Next it would zoom in all the way and I couldn't zoom out. Again, as soon as I took the phone out of the tank everything was fine. Finally, the phone would automatically switch between rear camera and front facing camera. I tried to make it work for about 15 minutes. Basically the phone was useless under water. If anyone is willing to give it a shot, lets hear your experience.
    I think that's normal behavior and why the active series uses physical buttons to take pics and video under water.
    04-24-2017 01:04 PM
    Well personally I don't have the guts to intentionally dip it in water. Accidentally it may happen at some point. I have the volume buttons set to capture photos so that would eliminate one portion of the problem. They can also be set to record video.
    aximtreo likes this.
    04-24-2017 01:05 PM
    Last year with the S7 edge i was able to capture under water video in a swimming pool. But i started the video before going under water.

I haven't tried with my S8+ yet but maybe this weekend.
    04-24-2017 01:09 PM
    Last year with the S7 edge i was able to capture under water video in a swimming pool. But i started the video before going under water.

I haven't tried with my S8+ yet but maybe this weekend.
    Keeping in mind that the volume buttons can be configured to start and stop video and snap photos. Thus not having to start video above water.
    aximtreo likes this.
    04-24-2017 01:10 PM
    Keeping in mind that the volume buttons can be configured to start and stop video and snap photos. Thus not having to start video above water.
    Agreed....but it was just easier and made for a better video.
    milehigherik likes this.
    04-24-2017 01:13 PM
    When I get home I'll see how the S7 edge and the iPhone 7 plus does. It was strange because as soon as the phone went under water, it went haywire. Thanks for the video idea @jamezr. Also I'll have to test out using the buttons as mentioned by @milehigherik.
    milehigherik likes this.
    04-24-2017 01:19 PM
    From my experience touch displays become useless when submerged with water or water is on them. I cant used my Lg G Watch R under water. I had success with the Note 7 but that was only because I was using the stylus. Like others said you will have to just use the physical buttons or a timer. The volume up is a shutter button by default.
    04-24-2017 01:38 PM
    Almost all phone touch screens are Capacitive touch screens, not Resistive.

Meaning, that the static from your body is what makes the connection.

In the water...... There is no static.

Most Point of Sales systems use a Resistive touch screen (2 pieces that get pushed together when touched). This is a big issue in bars, where bar tenders always have wet hands.
    04-24-2017 02:01 PM
    I inadvertently had a chance to test the waterproof-ness today. Some juice got splashed on my phone and the sugar ended up making the power button sticky, to the point where it wasn't clicking (still worked, but no physical click). Ran it under some water and poof, sugar washed away, phone working fine again.
    04-24-2017 03:23 PM
    I've run into this same problem with my old iPhone (in a LifeProof Fre case), as well as my GoPro Hero 5 Black. The phones can go into the water, but they don't really work that well in the water. Even with a waterproof case. It would have been nice to see some pics though.
    04-24-2017 03:47 PM
    Almost all phone touch screens are Capacitive touch screens, not Resistive.

Meaning, that the static from your body is what makes the connection.

In the water...... There is no static.

Most Point of Sales systems use a Resistive touch screen (2 pieces that get pushed together when touched). This is a big issue in bars, where bar tenders always have wet hands.
    This is correct. The n7 would only work under water using the S pen.
    04-24-2017 03:57 PM