Setting up new s8 and previous Samsung Back-Up's.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I'll be picking up my s8 this Friday.

I regularly backed up my s7 edge to my Samsung Account but I'm not really wanting to upload all the gunk that back ups can collate.

I'm not really concerned with my App's Data and my list of App's isn't too long.

I have my Contacts in GMail.

Now I'm quite happy to re log my Samsung Account back into the s8 but will it auto start uploading the back up into the phone ?

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I'll be picking up my s8 this Friday.

I regularly backed up my s7 edge to my Samsung Account but I'm not really wanting to upload all the gunk that back ups can collate.

I'm not really concerned with my App's Data and my list of App's isn't too long.

I have my Contacts in GMail.

Now I'm quite happy to re log my Samsung Account back into the s8 but will it auto start uploading the back up into the phone ?
I restored my S7 edge onto my S8+ using the Samsung Smart Switch app. Install it on your PC and backup your S7 edge. Then when your S8 comes in simply restore the back up onto your S8 :)

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
If you will still have your S7 edge with you, just use Smart Switch when you first turn on your S8, otherwise, you can always do a Full backup of your S7 edge using Smart Switch for Windows or PC and then do a restore to your S8 using the same, BUT, I've been a little impressed with Samsung's online backup lately, last month I needed to replace my S7 edge because of a cracked screen and for my surprise all the Home screen settings, media, SMS, MMS and Call Logs, and settings in general were restored to the new phone by simply going to the Backup menu and restore from Samsung Account. The same happened now with the S8+.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I backed up all my accounts.

I made Smart Switch was on both my GS7 and GS8. I used the USB cable with the adapter. Designated the GS8 as the receiving device.

I deleted old or rarely used contacts and apps.

I went through the Settings and implemented additional tweaks after watching tips and tricks YouTube videos.

Still have to set up the edge panels and have a go at Bixby

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

No my s7 edge has been sold.

I'm really wanting a fresh start with this phone.

Back ups although a good tool can have quite a bit of collated files that are redundant.

Am I able to delete the back ups stored in my Samsung Account ?

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You should be able to refuse to use the backed data during setup. I saw that somewhere but I don't use the samsung account for backup. Samsung has chat, email and phone on their support page so I would ask them directly. Regardless, I don't think you'll have a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781