Verizon Galaxy S8 Way to skip contact list to compose new text?

varxtis

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I just got the new Galaxy S8 Plus and there is a slight adjustment to composing new texts that is driving me crazy that I hope someone can help me with. I use Samsungs "Messages" app for all my txt messaging. Always have. Previously if I wanted to compose a new text to a new recipient, I open the app which opens to the list of conversations, I tap the new message button, and Im in the new message. Im able to fill the recipient(s) on the top field, and type the message in the bottom field. Now when you tap the new message button, instead of taking you directly to the new message, it takes me to my contact list, and then I have to tap the "compose" button at the top right. I hate this additional step. Is there a way to make it go right to new message and skip the contact list part?

Mr_Spencer

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
That's weird. If I'm not mistaken, mine asks first if it's going to an existing contact or new. Obviously if it's existing it goes to my contacts, if not it goes to the msg so I can enter the number I'm sending to.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I got that same issue on my note 5 and s6 edge plus after the nougat update. So maybe it because of the nougat if that is what the s8 is running.

paridge

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Kinda weird.

I have a kinda off topic question.

How do I change my contacts to display by last name? I can't find the option.
Go into Contacts. Tap the three dots on the top right to get into settings to change it. It's always one of the first things I do because Samsung phones always come alphabetized by first name.

the_munc_e

Apr 3, 2017
Visit site
Go into Contacts. Tap the three dots on the top right to get into settings to change it. It's always one of the first things I do because Samsung phones always come alphabetized by first name.
I looked but I'll look again. Getting all the settings right is always the worst!

I found it. I was looking in the phone app, not the contacts app. Derp.

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I just got the new Galaxy S8 Plus and there is a slight adjustment to composing new texts that is driving me crazy that I hope someone can help me with. I use Samsungs "Messages" app for all my txt messaging. Always have. Previously if I wanted to compose a new text to a new recipient, I open the app which opens to the list of conversations, I tap the new message button, and Im in the new message. Im able to fill the recipient(s) on the top field, and type the message in the bottom field. Now when you tap the new message button, instead of taking you directly to the new message, it takes me to my contact list, and then I have to tap the "compose" button at the top right. I hate this additional step. Is there a way to make it go right to new message and skip the contact list part?

Maybe this is different with different carriers, bc on my At&t 8+ when I hit the new message button, the new message field comes up, not a list of my contacts.

varxtis

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Sry for late response. @williams448: Maybe. That'd be really weird. Either way it's frustrating. @Jewels81: Im more inclined to agree that it's an OS/update feature change. But it's a toss up.

Please help me find out if there is any way to change this. Samsung, Best Buy, and Verizon are all dumbfounded. Don't you feel safe, secure, and confident in the products we use when their manufacturers and carries are even at a loss :p Don't worry, I know the device manufacturer (not to mention just the scripted tech support) aren't responsible for every quirk caused by every OS. It's not their fault. But still, it's pretty funny ^_^

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Lol. Yeah I wish I could help but haven't found any way around it. I'm actually getting used to it now but still prefer the old way. Hope you find help@varxtis

varxtis

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Its funny. Sometimes there are features that are added or changed that are a little "different" or obnoxious. But more often than not, I get over it or get used to it. Three months later, and the fact that it forces you into the contact list still perturbs me just as much as it did the day I started this thread. Why? why the heck would there be any benifet to being forced to go through the contact list. add it as a "convenience" feature that you can turn on or off, sure... but forcing the user to do this. Really?

jaxxonline

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I've had my s8+ for months, but Samsung just updated my fone today & removed the "new text" compose button too. I HATE IT! Samsung customer service
doesn't even know how to fix it. Very frustrating! Makes you wonder, do the developers even use their phones? If they did, they'd change it back immediately.
Someone at Samsung please read these.
Carrier doesn't matter, it seems.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I've had my s8+ for months, but Samsung just updated my fone today & removed the "new text" compose button too. I HATE IT! Samsung customer service
doesn't even know how to fix it. Very frustrating! Makes you wonder, do the developers even use their phones? If they did, they'd change it back immediately.
Someone at Samsung please read these.
Carrier doesn't matter, it seems.

You're right. Carrier doesn't matter. My US unlocked behaves the same way. Annoying steps for a new message.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
It's the same with Textra too, just tried it.
Nope. Textra shows you the contact list yes, but once you select a contact, it automatically pulls up the message field and keyboard. The stock app still needs you to to press compose. Textra is the same as the old apps, you just switch steps.

Old Messaging App:
New Message>Type>Select Contact>Send

Textra:
New Message>Select Contact>Type>Send

New Messaging App
New Message>Select Contact>Compose>Type>Send

bebeshears

Jan 3, 2018
Visit site

I have a S6 Edge and it also does it for my phone. I hate it! Has anyone figured a way to change it? I have tried all settings. TIA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12