AT&T 5G goes live with the S8

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
More so Faux 5G (as they say in the article) but nonetheless ... Still faster speeds for those in that area. Pretty cool :).

Dhawk1202

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
It looks like it's more of an upgrade to 4g as apposed to true 5g. In other words, a marketing ploy by AT&T which just brings their speeds up to what Tmobile has been doing for awhile.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
More so Faux 5G (as they say in the article) but nonetheless ... Still faster speeds for those in that area. Pretty cool :).
It may not be true 5G, but it is a step in the right direction and the S8 can handle it. That's one of the nice things going for the S8, network future proof.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It may not be true 5G, but it is a step in the right direction and the S8 can handle it. That's one of the nice things going for the S8, network future proof.

Agreed step in the right direction but as your article above this post says .. It is BS to call it 5G. AT&T just wants the marketing to consumers to act as if they upgraded their network ahead of others (except they're playing catch up).

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
It looks like it's more of an upgrade to 4g as apposed to true 5g. In other words, a marketing ploy by AT&T which just brings their speeds up to what Tmobile has been doing for awhile.

T Mobile is hardly comparable with their serious lack of coverage area.

Last edited:

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: AT&T 5G goes live with the S8

Agreed step in the right direction but as your article above this post says .. It is BS to call it 5G. AT&T just wants the marketing to consumers to act as if they upgraded their network ahead of others (except they're playing catch up).
This is so true, it is a marketing ploy and will most likely work. Most people, including myself, do not know much about networks and will be none the wiser.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
As far as I know, in order to call your network 5G it need to meet the minimum of 100mbps speed. I think many networks in the next couple years will start advertising 'LTE advanced' or '4G+" and only around 2020 / 2021 will we start to see some 5G networks in small areas. :)

There is still a lot of work to be done. I'm personally quite happy with my current connection, so this isn't really on my radar at the moment.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
As far as I know, in order to call your network 5G it need to meet the minimum of 100mbps speed. I think many networks in the next couple years will start advertising 'LTE advanced' or '4G+" and only around 2020 / 2021 will we start to see some 5G networks in small areas. :)

There is still a lot of work to be done. I'm personally quite happy with my current connection, so this isn't really on my radar at the moment.

You need 1,000 Mbps (Gigabit) not 100 Mbps.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

This is so true, it is a marketing ploy and will most likely work. Most people, including myself, do not know much about networks and will be none the wiser.

Yeah most consumers won't know .. The ones who come here though may understand better since we will try and advise what is true / not true :).

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site

Yeah most consumers won't know .. The ones who come here though may understand better since we will try and advise what is true / not true :).
Thanks to you, and others, I am learning a lot myselfツ

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
This kind of reminds me of when 3g started rolling out (carriers calling it 3g but was actually 2.5g) All marketing...
But we will get there..

Cheers
BR

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
When LTE went live in Bham I was using a S2 Skyrocket. Fortunately I chose it over the iPhone 4s that year. I was driving to work one morning and looked down at my phone and there it was, LTE were it usually said 4g. Good times!

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

This kind of reminds me of when 3g started rolling out (carriers calling it 3g but was actually 2.5g) All marketing...
But we will get there..

Cheers
BR
And more recently HSPA+ which was taunted as 4G when us Verizon folks "in the know" smugly realized we had the only real 4G on Verizon LTE

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01