Notification Help: Coming from iPhone, need help understanding notifications

J4To

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm coming from an iPhone and I'm having trouble understanding how Samsung has implemented Nougat style notifications.

On my last Android device I could still get "pop-up" or "heads-up" style notifications for all apps.

Right now, I only get the "little pill" Samsung notifications for the stock Messages app and Google Voice. For all other apps, I only get an icon in the status bar along with the sound/vibration. This even goes for the stock Google apps (Gmail, Google Now, etc), I only get an icon but no pop-up.

Is this normal?

I used to mess around a lot with custom ROMs back in the day so maybe I messed up an "adb shell" setting that is somehow carrying over (?).

Is this how it works on your device? Thanks

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Notification types are, by default, at the app's discretion. There are 5 levels of notifications for in 7.0...

1) SHUTUP! LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!
2) No full screen interruption, peeking, sound or vibration. Notification is at the bottom of the list and is not seen on lock screen or status bar
3) No full screen interruption, peeking, sound or vibration. But it will be seen in the status bar and lock screen
4) No full screen interruption and peeking. Sounds and vibration allowed
5) Always peek, no full screen interruption
6) Always allow full screen interruption, notification comes in at highest priority, etc.... basically an ambulance going through traffic.

Now, this is all handled by the app, but you can go in and modify them, of course (7.0 has advanced notification controls). But most apps usually go with levels 4 or 5.... 4 is where you might get pinged and see the icon in the notification shade but no drop down (peek). Only high priority notifications get 5 or higher.. things like

So it's a per app basis.

I don't know if Samsung opened up the advanced notification controls on the S8... they DID on the S7's 7.0 build, so it might be. Someone with one of them might be able to point you to them.

J4To

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
Notification types are, by default, at the app's discretion. There are 5 levels of notifications for in 7.0...

I don't know if Samsung opened up the advanced notification controls on the S8... they DID on the S7's 7.0 build, so it might be. Someone with one of them might be able to point you to them.

Ahh, I see. So it's normal for apps like Gmail to be set a #4 ?

If I remember correctly, there used to be a way to set the priority level of notifications, but Samsung seems to have removed it (at least on the S8). If anyone knows how to access the System UI Tuner, that might solve things.

Thanks for the explanation!

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Ahh, I see. So it's normal for apps like Gmail to be set a #4 ?

If I remember correctly, there used to be a way to set the priority level of notifications, but Samsung seems to have removed it (at least on the S8). If anyone knows how to access the System UI Tuner, that might solve things.

Thanks for the explanation!

Yep... I don't think GMail is considered a priority notification. I think that's really reserved for messaging (SMS) and phone calls.

You are 100% correct... the notification controls are often buried in the System UI Tuner. BUT... OEMs might have moved them. I'm playing around with my wife's new G6 and they took those settings and moved them into the main notification area. I think Samsung moved them into a similar location on the S7. That slider is really just Google's stock implementation.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12