Little help guys. :-)

For the last 3 Flagship Android phones I have used, I have never been able to get contact specific tones to work properly. I use Zedge and when I select a tone to assign to a contact, it always defaults to my default tone. I have gone in to the contact card and it clearly shows that the contact has the unique tone to use. However it never works.

Am I missing something? A setting? Permission? I don't get it...
    04-25-2017 03:56 PM

For the last 3 Flagship Android phones I have used, I have never been able to get contact specific tones to work properly. I use Zedge and when I select a tone to assign to a contact, it always defaults to my default tone. I have gone in to the contact card and it clearly shows that the contact has the unique tone to use. However it never works.

If you set a certain ringtone as default it may over ride custom contact ones. Go into your notification and ringtone settings to check
    04-25-2017 03:58 PM
    Do you use Zedge to assign the tone or use the stock process?
    04-25-2017 04:00 PM
    How do you not set a default? Notifications has defaults for 3 areas, if you don't set a default I see no other choice other than silent. Going to sounds, I see nothing in any of the apps that would override the defaults.
    04-25-2017 04:06 PM
    Here first screen then 2nd shows a specific contact in my list where you can change it. I'm running a test to see if it'll work
    04-25-2017 04:18 PM
    Here first screen then 2nd shows a specific contact in my list where you can change it. I'm running a test to see if it'll work https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...54e7f285ec.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...76f4f4dd9a.jpg
    This works if you do it this way. You can have a default tone Nd change it for specific contacts. My test worked
    04-25-2017 04:49 PM
    I don't have the email option, only the first three.
    04-25-2017 05:29 PM

Did you make sure the Contacts app has permissions to Storage? Check/Grant this through the App Manager.
    04-25-2017 05:49 PM
    Why oh why can custom ringtone settings never be transferred from one phone to another.
    04-25-2017 05:53 PM
    Do you use Zedge to assign the tone or use the stock process?
    I used zedge first. Then I downloaded the actual tone and assigned it that way. Both ways didn't work.
    04-25-2017 06:34 PM
    It's either the format Zedge is using, or where they're being stored. I've created several mp3 files using Audacity on my PC, stored them in\notifications on the phone, and they worked.
    04-25-2017 09:43 PM
    Just wanted to bump this. There must be away around this issue. I have set-up the ringtones in the contacts I want. The ringtone is is there in the contact. The contact apps have storage permissions, but the default ringtone overrides??? Anyone figure this out yet?
    08-20-2017 10:24 PM
    I was never able to get it to work. Super annoying.
    08-21-2017 01:32 AM
    I was never able to get it to work. Super annoying.
    My husband fixed this problem by deleting the contact (mine) from his phone, re-adding it, then setting it up again with the custom ringtone.

I think something was corrupted with certain contacts he imported (through Verizon, if I remember). I sent him my contact info via text (vcf file) for him to add it. Kind of a pain if you have a lot of contacts to customize, but it worked, at least.
    09-18-2017 10:21 PM
    OP said "unable to get custom ringtones to work with contacts for last three flagship phones". Discussion ensued.

Nowhere is it stated which messaging app is being used.

Amy posted screenshots of her app, which I presume is the stock Samsung app. Is the stock app the one being discussed?

Does the stock Samsung messaging app give you the ability to assign custom tones to contacts?
    09-19-2017 09:43 AM

Does the stock Samsung messaging app give you the ability to assign custom tones to contacts?
    Yes it does. You just have to set it up through the contact app when you go in to edit the contacts.
    PowrDroid likes this.
    09-19-2017 05:29 PM
    First, make sure the custom tone file is saved to Internal Storage (to the Ringtones, Notifications, or Alarms directory), not to the SD card.

Second, are you using a 3rd party app like Audio Manager Pro? This has been a culprit for this issue in some other threads.
    09-19-2017 06:06 PM
    I'm here because I had the same question. I couldn't make it work no matter what I tried, until I imported my contacts to my phone from Google. Not the sim (that didn't work). I had to shut off Ringtone ID, then the ringtones I had assigned worked like they were supposed to. Then I merged the contacts and it still works.
    I don't know why this worked for me; maybe someone else here can explain it.
    06-12-2018 01:38 PM