04-27-2017 10:46 PM
49 12
tools
    Hope nothing wrong with posting screenshots to make points. If so then please delete and no offense to MKBHD.
    MKBHD Camera Comparison-capturea.jpg
    MKBHD Camera Comparison-capture2.jpg
    MKBHD Camera Comparison-capture3.jpg
    MKBHD Camera Comparison-capture4.jpg
    MKBHD Camera Comparison-capture5.jpg
    MKBHD Camera Comparison-capture6.jpg
    MKBHD Camera Comparison-capture7.jpg
    04-26-2017 08:22 AM
    Summary: They are all pretty darn good for phone cameras.
    sydneycooper1979 likes this.
    04-26-2017 08:30 AM
    Lot of factors involved but for many I think color makes a huge difference... if you like the cooler, punched up, oversaturated look or if you like the warmer and more real to life colors.

What is interesting to me is how much it varies for the people in this thread.
    LineKill likes this.
    04-26-2017 08:31 AM
    I definitely agree on that. I do think the One Plus was the weakest. I really was surprised how much I thought the G6 held it's own from all the criticism I've been reading especially the last two pics... the negative feedback kinda brung me down on the G6 but I wouldn't have any problem owning one... think it's better than One Plus camera ... and the test here didn't even show the possibilities on the wide angle lens.

Summary: They are all pretty darn good for phone cameras.
    04-26-2017 08:34 AM
    Mine went: Pixel, S8, iPhone, G6 and then OnePlus. In many of them I thought the G6 and OP3T were awful and I would never use that camera but a couple of them they looked good. The steering wheel picture with the flag in the mirror was the most telling for me and I picked the Pixel XL slightly over the S8. It was very close, but the Pixel was the winner for me and I tend to agree it has the best camera overall. I was actually shocked at how little I chose the iPhone over the S8 seeing as I thought the iPhone 7 Plus was the best overall camera. The Pixel to me seemed to have the most accurate colors and sharpness/contrast. I thought the S8 overprocessed a couple but it still looks darn good.
    04-26-2017 09:08 AM
    I don't recall which phones they were but I didn't pick A or C at all...D D E B B B E E
    04-26-2017 12:21 PM
    I was C/D on pretty much every pic, but was really razor thin differences ... didn't like any of the others at all.
    04-26-2017 06:01 PM
    After honestly going through the test, I discovered that I'd be happiest with the Samsung Galaxy S8 and LG G6.
    04-26-2017 08:06 PM
    The iPhone 7 Plus had the best overall photos.
    04-27-2017 03:58 AM
    Mine went back and forth between the Pixel and 7 Plus mostly. 7 Plus and S8 on a couple. Overall I'd say the Pixel edges out the win though.
    04-27-2017 08:05 AM
    I finally watched the video and I had C as the overall winner, with D being by far in 2nd place. And this goes to a very important point - which is C is actually the best hardware/software, but D is NOT the second best, unless the S8 is worse than the S7 Edge - because the S7 Edge is better than the iPhone 7+. It's a pretty slight difference, but this is an established fact.

I absolutely hated when he started off by saying objective measurements don't matter and personal preference is all that matters. No. Well, yes, as far as which one you should buy. But no, the best camera, is not the one you like the most - it is the one that most accurately captures the scene. There is an objective best, second best, and so on ... and that matters for ranking them. After that, which one you want to buy has to do with a whole lot of other factors, since we're buying much more than just a camera.
    04-27-2017 08:37 AM
    Ultimately none of this matters. I don't see anyone getting rid of their existing phone to get another based on the camera alone (especially now when the quality is so close). Love the phone you have and use it to the fullest. When it's time to upgrade, do so based on your own needs and not because someone else thinks it's the best.
    04-27-2017 08:49 AM
    Once again, this shows how good all these cameras are, that it takes nitpicking and personal eye to pick a winner.

The best camera is the one you're happy with.
    04-27-2017 09:08 AM
    I finally watched the video and I had C as the overall winner, with D being by far in 2nd place. And this goes to a very important point - which is C is actually the best hardware/software, but D is NOT the second best, unless the S8 is worse than the S7 Edge - because the S7 Edge is better than the iPhone 7+. It's a pretty slight difference, but this is an established fact.

I absolutely hated when he started off by saying objective measurements don't matter and personal preference is all that matters. No. Well, yes, as far as which one you should buy. But no, the best camera, is not the one you like the most - it is the one that most accurately captures the scene. There is an objective best, second best, and so on ... and that matters for ranking them. After that, which one you want to buy has to do with a whole lot of other factors, since we're buying much more than just a camera.
    Okay, I'll bite here ... If you're truly taking objective measurements into account, then there's no way you can make the iPhone a distant second to the Pixel. Second, yes... but a "distant" ..?
    04-27-2017 09:34 AM
    Ultimately none of this matters. I don't see anyone getting rid of their existing phone to get another based on the camera alone (especially now when the quality is so close). Love the phone you have and use it to the fullest. When it's time to upgrade, do so based on your own needs and not because someone else thinks it's the best.
    Respectfully disagree. Camera/Picture quality matters a LOT to a lot of consumers and plays a deep part in the buying decision for them. I think reviews like these help that segment immensely if they are brand agnostic.
    blaine07 likes this.
    04-27-2017 09:38 AM
    Okay, I'll bite here ... If you're truly taking objective measurements into account, then there's no way you can make the iPhone a distant second to the Pixel. Second, yes... but a "distant" ..?
    I think I misworded that. I mean 1 and 2 were close to my preferences and third place was a long ways behind the iPhone. But that's the "my preference" part.

The second paragraph is that what I think doesn't matter at all (nor what you think or any number of people) when trying to determine which one is actually objectively the best - because that's an objective measurement of what is actually most accurate to the scene.

We don't actually have a ranking on the G6, OP3T or S8/S8+ yet - so it's kind of difficult to state where exactly they ought to place, but if we were to assume that each one is better than the prior iteration, which was Pixel > S7 Edge > G5 = iPhone 7 > OnePlus 3, then we could assume that it's still Pixel >= S8 > G6 >= iPhone 7 >= OnePlus 3T.
    04-27-2017 09:42 AM
    Wow! I'm really surprised. I thought the Galaxy would win for me but no OnePlus 3T! (not telling which is which though, do it yourself! )
    04-27-2017 09:54 AM
    I think I misworded that. I mean 1 and 2 were close to my preferences and third place was a long ways behind the iPhone. But that's the "my preference" part.

The second paragraph is that what I think doesn't matter at all (nor what you think or any number of people) when trying to determine which one is actually objectively the best - because that's an objective measurement of what is actually most accurate to the scene.

We don't actually have a ranking on the G6, OP3T or S8/S8+ yet - so it's kind of difficult to state where exactly they ought to place, but if we were to assume that each one is better than the prior iteration, which was Pixel > S7 Edge > G5 = iPhone 7 > OnePlus 3, then we could assume that it's still Pixel >= S8 > G6 >= iPhone 7 >= OnePlus 3T.
    Okay yeah, I see what you're saying. For me, I asked what would the human eye really see and the coloring on some of pictures in this unscientific test were just way different in a lot of them.
    04-27-2017 09:57 AM
    The s8 is super blue.
    04-27-2017 02:21 PM
    B and C were my favorites by B slightly edge out C.
    04-27-2017 04:20 PM
    Mine were C and D. Pixel and iPhone.
    04-27-2017 04:36 PM
    The s8 is super blue.
    Yeah, I can't believe how consistent the color shift is in that set. Easy to make a Lightroom rule for, unfortunately most of my phone pics never make it into Lightroom. The S8's rendering of the yellow line in the car pic is pretty bad also.
    04-27-2017 06:03 PM
    B and C were my favorites by B slightly edge out C.
    I dunno, to me, C crushes B in the first four photos. The next two are toss-ups and B wins the last one.
    04-27-2017 06:05 PM
    A is far too foggy and hazy. Love the clarity and vibrance of B and C.
    04-27-2017 10:46 PM
49 12