Anyone notice the home button

EngineerGuy

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm that this is the case as well. The unlock with home button only works if your phone times out but is unlocked. Once your set lock time kicks in, the phone will ask to be unlocked when you try to unlock with the home button. Try setting your screen timeout to instant with power key and then try to unlock it. You'll see that it won't unlock.

It unlocks. Every time.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
U still can do it with Nova launcher, i set double tap to lock my phone.

Nova locks your device, doesn't turn off the screen (limitation on the system, not Nova, but still). And Nova can't intercept the tap on AOD or the screen off, so double tap to wake only works on the home button.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It unlocks. Every time.

Are you sure your phone is locked and not just in stand-by (you can have the screen off but the phone is not locked)? Or if you have a Smart Lock active or a non-secure lockscreen, then yeah, the home button shortcut will directly access your phone. But if your phone IS locked and your lockscreen is a secure one (iris, face, FPS, password, pin, pattern) and you don't have Smart Locks unlocking the device, that double tap should only prompt you to input your credentials (scanner active, input pad, etc.) but not unlock your device directly.

speed13

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Common knowledge. This is how I unlock my phone. It's a one "button" press instead of pressing the power button then slide to unlock. I use Iris. It's usually fast enough where I don't even see the Iris camera comes up, it just goes right the the home screen. That's when I have the phone right in front of my eyes already.
How I can there to use only one button to get to iris since I hate that I must slide my screen?

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Double-tap-to-whatever is a hard habit to kick. One of the few things I loved about my LG phones (even the wide angle lens grew into a 'meh' feeling quickly thanks to its downgraded picture quality... Why LG, WHY???!!!). I was doing the double tap thing to my work iPhone, my tablet, my computer haha...
Agreed. I suppose I didn't have trouble because I'm a dork about phones. Read/post about phones, so I know this can be difficult for the uninitiated.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. I suppose I didn't have trouble because I'm a dork about phones. Read/post about phones, so I know this can be difficult for the uninitiated.

I'm definitely NOT 'uninitiated' haha :p Double tap to wake/sleep was still addictive. Still is. At least the S8 has that tiny area for that. Better than nothing.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm definitely NOT 'uninitiated' haha Double tap to wake/sleep was still addictive. Still is. At least the S8 has that tiny area for that. Better than nothing.
Oh I didn't mean you were uninitiated. My wife, she's not nerdy about Android the way I am.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
OK thanks but this will keep phone constantly unlocked and unsecured.

No, it doesn't. It only skips the slide lockscreen, but if you have a secure method selected, it'll just prompt you to use (for instance, iris scanning will immediately begin).

justafew

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I had this set, but due to some limitation (Samsung?), when you lock your phone this way fingerprints and iris cannot unlock the phone. You must use your pin each time, so I stopped using it.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I had this set, but due to some limitation (Samsung?), when you lock your phone this way fingerprints and iris cannot unlock the phone. You must use your pin each time, so I stopped using it.

Definitely not a Samsung limitation. I have that long-press feature enabled and am using FPS and Iris to unlock my phone. If the phone is locked, it just goes straight to scanning (skipping the swipe screen) and if it's not locked, then it just turns the screen back on. The FPS always skips the lockscreen anyway so not much of a point using the home button for that (especially since the FPS is on the back).

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
While it does unlock the phone it also bypasses all security measures from what I've determined. That's why you aren't seeing the iris notification appearing. I'm not sure what good that is unless the user is the type who chooses to not lock their phone.

I use iris scan to unlock. I've become used to holding the phone in the proper position to ensure a quick iris scan for unlock. Yesterday I noticed that it unlocked while holding the home button and the display was not anywhere close to the right distance or angle to read my eyes. I flipped the phone over and held the home button as a test and the phone unlocked.

I've since disabled the home button from unlocking the phone.

Are you sure you weren't connected to a smart lock device? or Location. The tap home to unlock shouldn't override security.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
How I can there to use only one button to get to iris since I hate that I must slide my screen?

I just hit the power key.... that turns on the iris scanner for me.

You may have to turn this setting on.

2b9e74a00bba5ae37f8a6e7a670367f1.jpg

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae