05-02-2017 03:24 PM
39 12
tools
    Also works to unlock the screen even if the screen is completely locked and no home button is displayed?

I have the AOD set to turn off at a certain time at night. I accidentally grabbed my phone and pushed where the home button usually shows when AOD is on and the phone still unlocked. Sorry if this is common knowledge, but I just discovered this.
    04-25-2017 09:59 PM
    I think that's pretty cool. I have a love/hate relationship with the home button, but mostly because of the vibration motor. That's good to know that it works even if it isn't visible. I know in another thread on here people were worried about the button causing screen burn in. Sounds like you can turn it off and still use it, which is good.
    04-25-2017 10:07 PM
    New thoughts are that the Home Button either fades in and out and or it moves around to stop any screen burn.
    04-26-2017 01:44 AM
    04-26-2017 06:50 AM
    Also works to unlock the screen even if the screen is completely locked and no home button is displayed?

I have the AOD set to turn off at a certain time at night. I accidentally grabbed my phone and pushed where the home button usually shows when AOD is on and the phone still unlocked. Sorry if this is common knowledge, but I just discovered this.
    I showed my wife this the other day. We're both jumping from LG to Samsung this year. I've already upgraded. The guinea pig I supposed, neither of us have owned Samsung devices. A sticking point for her was losing double tap to wake. IMO, the home button being active while the screen is off is a suitable replacement.
    04-26-2017 03:55 PM
    Don't forget you can also turn the home button icon off on the lock screen.
    Kirk Maluo likes this.
    04-26-2017 04:23 PM
    You can also turn on and simultaneously unlock the phone my touching the fingerprint sensor with a registered finger print
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    04-26-2017 04:54 PM
    I showed my wife this the other day. We're both jumping from LG to Samsung this year. I've already upgraded. The guinea pig I supposed, neither of us have owned Samsung devices. A sticking point for her was losing double tap to wake. IMO, the home button being active while the screen is off is a suitable replacement.
    Double-tap-to-whatever is a hard habit to kick. One of the few things I loved about my LG phones (even the wide angle lens grew into a 'meh' feeling quickly thanks to its downgraded picture quality... Why LG, WHY???!!!). I was doing the double tap thing to my work iPhone, my tablet, my computer haha...
    blaine07 and justafew like this.
    04-26-2017 10:52 PM
    Common knowledge. This is how I unlock my phone. It's a one "button" press instead of pressing the power button then slide to unlock. I use Iris. It's usually fast enough where I don't even see the Iris camera comes up, it just goes right the the home screen. That's when I have the phone right in front of my eyes already.
    04-27-2017 04:03 AM
    Don't forget you can also turn the home button icon off on the lock screen.
    How is this done?
    04-27-2017 07:19 AM
    How is this done?
    You go into lock and security and select AOD then where it says "contents to show " select clock and information
    bandofbrothers2112 likes this.
    04-27-2017 08:15 AM
    Really? Can you post a link where I can read or watch it?
    Here's an article: Hidden Galaxy S8 trick shows Samsung’s newfound attention to detail – BGR
    04-27-2017 09:28 PM
    Yep.
    04-27-2017 09:34 PM
    Common knowledge. This is how I unlock my phone. It's a one "button" press instead of pressing the power button then slide to unlock. I use Iris. It's usually fast enough where I don't even see the Iris camera comes up, it just goes right the the home screen. That's when I have the phone right in front of my eyes already.
    While it does unlock the phone it also bypasses all security measures from what I've determined. That's why you aren't seeing the iris notification appearing. I'm not sure what good that is unless the user is the type who chooses to not lock their phone.

I use iris scan to unlock. I've become used to holding the phone in the proper position to ensure a quick iris scan for unlock. Yesterday I noticed that it unlocked while holding the home button and the display was not anywhere close to the right distance or angle to read my eyes. I flipped the phone over and held the home button as a test and the phone unlocked.

I've since disabled the home button from unlocking the phone.
    04-27-2017 11:06 PM
    You will still need to unlock the phone via the method you choose. I have the button showing with screen off, and double tap to wake the phone and show notifications, and if I long press it goes straight to the part where I can either enter my pin, Iris, or finger print. That is instead of pressing the home button, swipe the lockscreen, and then unlock via biometrics.

To be clear I still need to unlock using one security method when I press the home button to bypass the top layer of the lockscreen
    04-28-2017 01:13 AM
    Not true in my tests.
    04-28-2017 07:35 AM
    You will still need to unlock the phone via the method you choose. I have the button showing with screen off, and double tap to wake the phone and show notifications, and if I long press it goes straight to the part where I can either enter my pin, Iris, or finger print. That is instead of pressing the home button, swipe the lockscreen, and then unlock via biometrics.

To be clear I still need to unlock using one security method when I press the home button to bypass the top layer of the lockscreen
    I can confirm that this is the case as well. The unlock with home button only works if your phone times out but is unlocked. Once your set lock time kicks in, the phone will ask to be unlocked when you try to unlock with the home button. Try setting your screen timeout to instant with power key and then try to unlock it. You'll see that it won't unlock.
    speed13 likes this.
    04-28-2017 07:49 AM
    While it does unlock the phone it also bypasses all security measures from what I've determined. That's why you aren't seeing the iris notification appearing. I'm not sure what good that is unless the user is the type who chooses to not lock their phone.

I use iris scan to unlock. I've become used to holding the phone in the proper position to ensure a quick iris scan for unlock. Yesterday I noticed that it unlocked while holding the home button and the display was not anywhere close to the right distance or angle to read my eyes. I flipped the phone over and held the home button as a test and the phone unlocked.

That's odd, that shouldn't happen. The long-press on the home button option should bypass the swipe screen but it still prompts for secure lockscreens (iris, FPS, face, password, pin, pattern). Hasn't failed for me yet. Are you sure your phone is locked (not just screen off but locked locked) while you did that?
    04-28-2017 08:40 AM

That's odd, that shouldn't happen. The long-press on the home button option should bypass the swipe screen but it still prompts for secure lockscreens (iris, FPS, face, password, pin, pattern). Hasn't failed for me yet. Are you sure your phone is locked (not just screen off but locked locked) while you did that?
    04-28-2017 08:40 AM
    Double-tap-to-whatever is a hard habit to kick. One of the few things I loved about my LG phones (even the wide angle lens grew into a 'meh' feeling quickly thanks to its downgraded picture quality... Why LG, WHY???!!!). I was doing the double tap thing to my work iPhone, my tablet, my computer haha...
    U still can do it with Nova launcher, i set double tap to lock my phone.
    04-28-2017 08:51 AM
    New thoughts are that the Home Button either fades in and out and or it moves around to stop any screen burn.
    Yeah I read about that too, such a smart idea
    04-28-2017 08:55 AM
    I can confirm that this is the case as well. The unlock with home button only works if your phone times out but is unlocked. Once your set lock time kicks in, the phone will ask to be unlocked when you try to unlock with the home button. Try setting your screen timeout to instant with power key and then try to unlock it. You'll see that it won't unlock.

It unlocks. Every time.
    04-28-2017 09:28 AM
    U still can do it with Nova launcher, i set double tap to lock my phone.
    Nova locks your device, doesn't turn off the screen (limitation on the system, not Nova, but still). And Nova can't intercept the tap on AOD or the screen off, so double tap to wake only works on the home button.
    04-28-2017 12:21 PM
    It unlocks. Every time.
    Are you sure your phone is locked and not just in stand-by (you can have the screen off but the phone is not locked)? Or if you have a Smart Lock active or a non-secure lockscreen, then yeah, the home button shortcut will directly access your phone. But if your phone IS locked and your lockscreen is a secure one (iris, face, FPS, password, pin, pattern) and you don't have Smart Locks unlocking the device, that double tap should only prompt you to input your credentials (scanner active, input pad, etc.) but not unlock your device directly.
    04-28-2017 12:23 PM
    How I can there to use only one button to get to iris since I hate that I must slide my screen?
    04-28-2017 01:30 PM
39 12