Second Phone W/ SD Card problem??

JLD94

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Ok guys, what's going on here? This is the second phone that is doing this to me. I Picked up the 1st one on Saturday, took it in on Monday to get scanned they found nothing and suggested I try a different SD card. I tried other cards, the first it wouldn't recognize, the second it worked with but similar problem. Went back in Tuesday and they swapped out the phone for me.

The SD was a new card 128 Samsung Select Pro, just to be safe I took that one back and got a new one. So now I'm on second phone and second brand new SD card. Wednesday night no problems, today....same two issues I had earlier

1. On the home screen the apps on the SD card will 'ghost' and when you tap them, they say that app is not available. If you swipe up or down and go into the apps, they show up there and you can access them. Funny thing is, on the home screen, if the app is in a folder it appears as 'ghost' but I am able to access them.

2. I will open my phone and it will be prompting me to put in the password because the device has been restarted.... only problem is I have not restarted the device. This issue made the guys at ATT think there was something wrong with the sim tray, which is why they swapped it out.

So this is the second phone and second SD card with the same issues. Any ideas? I will hopefully be able to call samsung and get some support that way soon.

Here is a picture of the 'ghosting' Screenshot_20170427-143113.jpg

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Hm I can't think of why that would be happening. I personally leave apps on internal storage to avoid these type of issues.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Hm I can't think of why that would be happening. I personally leave apps on internal storage to avoid these type of issues.

Agreed, I never format as internal storage. Just creates the potential for more things to go wrong. I'm sure the Samsung Card is fast enough to store Apps but I wouldn't recommend it. The card should say 'A1' on the front. If not, then its not 'officially certified' to handle App storage.

Maybe try just formatting it as external storage and see how that goes. If you purchased the SD card from a legitimate store or site then there should be no problems :).

It's never nice when you get a brand new device and all you want to do is sit down and enjoy it but you get peppered with problems.

Try what we suggested and see if anything changes. 😃

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Agreed, I never format as internal storage. Just creates the potential for more things to go wrong. I'm sure the Samsung Card is fast enough to store Apps but I wouldn't recommend it. The card should say 'A1' on the front. If not, then its not 'officially certified' to handle App storage.

Maybe try just formatting it as external storage and see how that goes. If you purchased the SD card from a legitimate store or site then there should be no problems :).

It's never nice when you get a brand new device and all you want to do is sit down and enjoy it but you get peppered with problems.

Try what we suggested and see if anything changes. 😃

How do you format as internal storage?

JLD94

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site

Try what we suggested and see if anything changes. ??????

Thanks for the suggestions. I had never heard of the 'A1' designation. I've always assumed that a SD card was good for about anything and didn't have an issue on my last two phones with putting apps on it. I looked and it does not have an 'A1' on it, however a quick search I didn't notice any others that had it. Is there an A1 card you recommend?

JLD94

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Ok, so just spoke samsung support. Basically he said 'that is a really good card, it shouldn't be doing that, take it to the samsung store and have them diagnose it.' So I guess that's what I will do.

luxaflex

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately having the exact same issue. Random quiet restart that get progressively worse during the day. Seems the SD is the issue. Mine is a Samsung XC 1 128 card. Will try a type II card which I heard may resolve the issue. Very frustrating issue with lots of folks reporting the same issue without resolution thus far.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Other than A1 will work but not recommended it reads and rights much slower especially for pics or vids

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. I had never heard of the 'A1' designation. I've always assumed that a SD card was good for about anything and didn't have an issue on my last two phones with putting apps on it. I looked and it does not have an 'A1' on it, however a quick search I didn't notice any others that had it. Is there an A1 card you recommend?

The 'A1' standard is very new. So at the moment it's not available on many cards. An example would be the SanDisk ultra 256gb :)

I'm not saying cards that don't have the 'A1' won't work, just that if it does have it, it will definitely work. Hope that make sense.

Here is an example.
Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 12.24.37 PM.png

Last edited:

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Are you hot swapping SD cards? Also, uninstall and reinstall apps that don't like being on SD.

Why do it? Internal storage can be 400MB/s. Try using AndroBench

JLD94

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
So lastnight I took the phone to Samsung @ a best buy. So the guy there had not heard of the issue yet, he said that he only has had a couple of S8,S8+ in so far. He ran a diagnostic, didn't find anything so flashed it.

So here is the troubling part. He tells me afterwards that he searched his forums ( I assume some Samsung Employee support) and he see's that it's being reported quite a bit but there is no solution for it yet. He said likely there will be a patch or something sent out at some point and suggested I put the apps on the internal storage or just 'roll with it until there is a fix'

So it would be one thing if the SD card/apps thing was the only problem. However the phone is rebooting itself also. I don't know that it's done this until I open my phone for something and it tells me. I normally keep my phone on vibrate, however I think I will likely leave the sound on to see if there is an audible indication.

So I don't want a phone that is having issues....but at this point I'm stuck because I'm not sure what I want to do. Since I only have a week left before my 14 day window top return it. I really don't want to have to send my new phone off to be fixed.

Very frustrating!

JLD94

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Unfortunately having the exact same issue. Random quiet restart that get progressively worse during the day. Seems the SD is the issue. Mine is a Samsung XC 1 128 card. Will try a type II card which I heard may resolve the issue. Very frustrating issue with lots of folks reporting the same issue without resolution thus far.

Yeah very frustrating, and the Samsung Experience guy said it is being reported.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Weird problem! i have a Samsung micro Sd Card I used in my S7 edge. I can put it into my S8+ and it reads it and i can copy and delete things from it as normal.

How did you format the SD card? Have you tried to reformat it while it is in the phone? Or hook it up to a PC and wipe it out and reformat it that way? Just throwing things out there for you.

JLD94

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Weird problem! i have a Samsung micro Sd Card I used in my S7 edge. I can put it into my S8+ and it reads it and i can copy and delete things from it as normal.

How did you format the SD card? Have you tried to reformat it while it is in the phone? Or hook it up to a PC and wipe it out and reformat it that way? Just throwing things out there for you.

Thanks for the suggestions. When I installed in the phone I choose to format it before I put anything on it. I have not tried to reformat on a computer though.

So it doesn't immediately start doing this, on the second phone it was a good 14-18 hours of the phone being on before it started doing it

luxaflex

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Exactly the same for me. Gets worse over time. I have moved my apps Internal again and it seems to have resolved albeit Samsung needs to fix this.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
This is very similar to the SD card issue that plagued the S7s when they came out. I used the SD card from my S7e and have had no problems with the exception of the ghost icon. That is the same thing that happened to the S7s when they 'lost' contact with the card.