Second Phone W/ SD Card problem??

JLD94

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Sorry, you didn't quote me so I didn't see your question till now. The S7 problem was resolved by an OS update.

And how long was it before you got the OS update?

I am 95% sure I'm going to return my S8+ today after work. I don't want to wait for months waiting for this issue to be fixed. It has started rearranging my app's when it restarts, and in couple of cases has deleted apps from my home screen that were on the SD card. They still end up appearing in the app drawer but they are totally gone from the home screen. The first time it happened I thought maybe I had done something and took a couple off and just didn't remember why I did it. So i put them back on the home screen and after one of the restarts they had disappeared again.

daddyd302

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Did you fresh install of everything on the new phone or did you do a transfer of everything over from your old phone to the new one?

stimulatedboredom

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
My S8+ was having this issue, randomly rebooting a few times a day, and / or having issues reading the SDcard. Icons for apps on the card would be greyed out, or it would unmount / mount itself.

I ended up transferring everything back to internal, formatting the card, and removing it. Hasn't rebooted since.

Pretty widespread, but for me removing the SDcard worked. Hopefully it's something that can be fixed with an update, because I've seen people who exchanged their phones having the same issue.

In general I never get close to using all of the internal memory, but I still want the SDcard to work for saving photos and download movies, so I hope / expect that they'll fix this.

JLD94

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Did you fresh install of everything on the new phone or did you do a transfer of everything over from your old phone to the new one?

Fresh install. The only thing I moved over was contacts and messages. Brand new SD card, after they swapped out my phone I returned that SD card just incase there was something up with it and got a brand new one.... same thing.

JLD94

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
My S8+ was having this issue, randomly rebooting a few times a day, and / or having issues reading the SDcard. Icons for apps on the card would be greyed out, or it would unmount / mount itself.

I ended up transferring everything back to internal, formatting the card, and removing it. Hasn't rebooted since.

Pretty widespread, but for me removing the SDcard worked. Hopefully it's something that can be fixed with an update, because I've seen people who exchanged their phones having the same issue.

In general I never get close to using all of the internal memory, but I still want the SDcard to work for saving photos and download movies, so I hope / expect that they'll fix this.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm on my second new of everything so it is something else. Even if it was an issue with having a SD card in it, it makes no sense to me. I've used my note 4, with apps on my SD card for 2.5 years with no problems. I don't see how 'better, newer' technology can't work they same way without a problem. It was designed with a SD card slot so they had to know people were going to put a SD card in it and might even put apps on it.

I'm sure at some point they will have an OTA update that will fix it, but right now I don't want to be stuck with possibly going for a month or two like this waiting for a fix. What would be worse to me would be needing to send it in for repair, all for something that was happening from day 1 in my case.

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Why put apps on the SD card at all? Even after downloading several GB of Oculus apps/content for VR, I have 39.2 GB of internal storage left.

JLD94

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Why put apps on the SD card at all? Even after downloading several GB of Oculus apps/content for VR, I have 39.2 GB of internal storage left.

Why not? Is it somewhere in writing that apps should not be put on a SD card? Please show me information from Samsung or Android as an OS that you are not suppose to do that? I never had a problem with it on my Note 4, so why is it a problem now?

Altering the way you use something because it is not working correctly that way = broken. Unless of course it was not designed to be used that way. However in this case I believe it was, otherwise it would not be an option to do so.

The larger problem here is the random restarting. It happens probably 4-5 times a day. It's happened twice in the middle of using it

Last edited:

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I read about then ran a disk test to compare different phones.
SD card with 80-90MB us fine for media but I want apps using the .uch faster internal storage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781