05-20-2017 03:51 PM
107 1234 ...
tools
    I don't think it matters with or without screenshields... if a screen is going to break it will break- that's what insurance is for.
    04-28-2017 08:05 AM
    When I tried going naked, I managed to put a scratch on my S7E from something in my pocket. Don't know what it was, best guess is keys, but it was deep enough in the glass that my fingernail could catch it. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    04-28-2017 08:53 AM
    I haven't used screen protectors since my HTC EVO. I also have come to expect very fine scratches on my glass around a year after I get the device and am ready to get a new one.
    bhatech likes this.
    04-28-2017 08:57 AM
    Would someone be willing to test, for the sake of science, rubbing beach sand across their screen to test for scratches?

No volunteers?

Well, living in NJ, working mostly in South Jersey and shore towns where having granules of sand end up in your pocket is not outside the realm of possibility. I'll keep a screen protector on my phone to ward off the scratches.

I understand it's a matter of preference but keeping my phones for top resale value is my preference.

I have my work phone unprotected and the screen is scratched to oblivion.
    dejanh likes this.
    04-28-2017 09:24 AM
    Every gorilla glass ever made has scratched or broken. That's why screen protectors and tempered glass exist.
    04-28-2017 09:27 AM
    Same reason cases exist -- To protect it .
    libra89 likes this.
    04-28-2017 09:40 AM
    Seriously gorilla Glass just keeps getting better and better. Gone are the days where you will scratch your screen putting it in your pocket. There is no actually need for one. I never use and never get scratches on my screens of any phone. Maybe I'm just not careless with $800+ dollar device.
    Because sand particles still exist, are found virtually everywhere, including your pocket, and are stronger than any glass ever will be? You were only lucky so far. Nothing to do with being careless. Also, if you use the phone naked I would bet that I can find hairline marks on your glass after a years worth of use. Maybe you can't see them or just don't care.
    Qc_Anubis likes this.
    04-28-2017 09:56 AM
    The screen on the S8 is very scratch resistant, no need for a screen protector. I have a case with a high lip (Defender) which will protect the screen from most drops.
    Go test it with sand and get back to me. I'm betting you won't be happy though.
    04-28-2017 09:57 AM
    What's a good film protector? I'm returning the Supershieldz - incompatible with the Spigen case I have.

Worst-case, I'll go without screen protection (I didn't have a problem doing so with the S7edge). I never put it in the same pocket with keys or change, & I face the screen towards my body.
    04-28-2017 12:18 PM
    Am I the only one who chooses a screen protector for anti-glare reasons? I spend as much time outside as I can, and find the anti-glare protectors a huge improvement. They aren't quite crystal clear, but I live with that to be able to read without seeing a lot of reflection.

Edit: Still looking for a good one for my S8+.
    mmcpher and BergerKing like this.
    04-28-2017 12:37 PM
    I have ONE simple reason why I worry about a screen protector...THAT STUPID BUTTON ON MY JEAN POCKET! Whoever out that button there was in cahoots with screen protector makers. I've had several screens succumb to that stupid button no matter how "aware" and careful I am. 😟
    Yeah, I use one too. Unfortunately accidents happen even when you don't want them to. I had my S7 slide out of my pocket when I bent down pick something up. It slid about 2 ft face first on my driveway leaving a couple of scratches.
    04-28-2017 12:44 PM
    Maybe I'm just that wired guy that dedicates a pocket to just my phone. Nothing else ever goes in my left pocket except my phone. I use a case because of how freaking slippery phones have become especially glass backs.

The only time I ever hade a phone with a screen protector was because it came with one preinstalled and that was the mate 9.

I had a good laugh about a month ago when my friend dropped his iPhone and the screen cracked under the tempered glass protector he had on it haha.
    gregg6942 likes this.
    04-28-2017 01:37 PM
    OCD, maintaining the highest resale value or simply want that extra protection.

Honestly, I just don't buy Gorilla Glass' claims. It will scratch.
    blaine07, Shon123 and libra89 like this.
    04-28-2017 01:46 PM
    The inside of a gal's purse can be a very scary place for an unprotected phone screen.
    Which is one of the many reasons I use screen protectors!!
    04-28-2017 01:54 PM
    Maybe I'm just that wired guy that dedicates a pocket to just my phone. Nothing else ever goes in my left pocket except my phone. I use a case because of how freaking slippery phones have become especially glass backs.

The only time I ever hade a phone with a screen protector was because it came with one preinstalled and that was the mate 9.

I had a good laugh about a month ago when my friend dropped his iPhone and the screen cracked under the tempered glass protector he had on it haha.
    Exactly and some would ask why even use a case? Different use cases. I have a dedicated phone pocket as well but .. even if someone else does if they go to the beach or something the phone will scratch without a SP if sand gets on it.
    libra89 likes this.
    04-28-2017 02:03 PM
    I remember a thread about how easily the Note 7 scratched, it had Gorilla Glass 5. I didn't want to believe until mine got a scratch. Not taking any chances.
    04-28-2017 02:07 PM
    This is always a debate. Some people swear against them saying that with this glass, you don't need a screen protector and they personally have never scratched a phone before. Others say that they have first hand experience that they have scratched the screens of their phones. I am going to go with the safe route and the folks that have scratched their phones. lol

Sand is the root of all (scratchy) evil.
    dryja123 likes this.
    04-28-2017 02:13 PM
    Another vote here for never use one and no problems with scratching. Screen protectors scratch much easier and unless you keep replacing them your phone won't look anyway. For those who just trade their phone in most times having a perfect screen doesn't matter. They just don't want it cracked.
    04-28-2017 02:25 PM
    Another vote here for never use one and no problems with scratching. Screen protectors scratch much easier and unless you keep replacing them your phone won't look anyway. For those who just trade their phone in most times having a perfect screen doesn't matter. They just don't want it cracked.
    This is the first phone I am leasing. Always use screen protectors. Have put a spigen neo flex and now have an armoursuit on my s8 plus. Each has peeled up from putting cases on. Since I will be trading in for the newest galaxy every year, might go without the protector.
    04-28-2017 02:43 PM
    The screen is very scratch resistant

04-28-2017 02:47 PM
    I honestly don't care how much they claim how scratch resistant or water resistant my phone is I'm still going to be extra careful. These aren't $20 devices that you can just replace everytime an accident happens. Plus I'm clumsy and I would be the one to somehow break gorilla glass. Lol
    Dngrsone likes this.
    04-28-2017 05:36 PM

Wow that sucked lol.
    04-28-2017 05:56 PM
    Seriously gorilla Glass just keeps getting better and better. Gone are the days where you will scratch your screen putting it in your pocket. There is no actually need for one. I never use and never get scratches on my screens of any phone. Maybe I'm just not careless with $800+ dollar device.
    To be fair some people like myself who ride the bus be and work in restaurant the kitchen specifically where you have grease, heat, and condiments that sometimes smudge on the screen and most important of all the grease build up is killer sometimes.
    04-28-2017 06:06 PM
    I work construction and always used tempered glass. On my X Pure didn't use a thing and haven't had one scratch
    04-28-2017 06:09 PM
    I use one because somehow my new S7 has a deep scratch on it. Also, I always forget which pocket I put my keys in, might be related.
    vecharo likes this.
    04-28-2017 07:55 PM
107 1234 ...