why are screen protectors still thing.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Seriously gorilla Glass just keeps getting better and better. Gone are the days where you will scratch your screen putting it in your pocket. There is no actually need for one. I never use and never get scratches on my screens of any phone. Maybe I'm just not careless with $800+ dollar device.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I agree that the Gorilla Glass is very nice on the S8 line.
I would usually get a screen protector to cut down on fingerprints and smudges but there aren't any. Only needs a wipe down once or twice a day.

Mav.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Agree, I stopped putting screen protectors from few years and had no issues. First time when I went without screen protector it felt scary that I'll scratch etc, but after a few devices I never even think about it and enjoy the screen without any additional protectors.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
People can't even relax and enjoy their phones they're so worried. Not a single scratch on either my S6 Edge+ or S7 Edge after a year with both.

Ageeb

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Agree, I stopped putting screen protectors from few years and had no issues. First time when I went without screen protector it felt scary that I'll scratch etc, but after a few devices I never even think about it and enjoy the screen without any additional protectors.

From iPhone 5s, S6 active, S7 Active I've cracked all my glass screen protectors. Displays stayed flawless though. Scratching, smudging and figerprints is the least of the marketed advantage for me...

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
From iPhone 5s, S6 active, S7 Active I've cracked all my glass screen protectors. Displays stayed flawless though.
I have case with raised lip to protect the glass in most scenarios. I'm not worried about scratches, I prefer no additional layer on the screen and been perfectly fine for years.

You can say if it falls and hits some sharp edge directly on the screen it breaks. Yes I know but I never had that happen so I'm good and will take that risk for enjoying the phone without any screen protectors.

blaine07

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I have ONE simple reason why I worry about a screen protector...THAT STUPID BUTTON ON MY JEAN POCKET! Whoever out that button there was in cahoots with screen protector makers. I've had several screens succumb to that stupid button no matter how "aware" and careful I am. 😟

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
From iPhone 5s, S6 active, S7 Active I've cracked all my glass screen protectors. Displays stayed flawless though. Scratching is the least of the marketing advantage for me...

I can't tell if you're for or against screen protectors lol. I love the Zagg on my S6. Can't tell it's on, feels great.

The S8 is a completely different story. Hate both glass protectors I've tried, but I'm scared of removing it because of scratching.

So torn lol.

Ageeb

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
I can't tell if you're for it and against screen protectors lol. I love the Zagg on my S6. Can't tell it's on, feels great.

The S8 is a completely different story. Hate both glass protectors I've tried, but I'm scared of removing it because of scratching.

So torn lol.

Couldn't be more satisfied. They've done their job perfectly by absorbing some stress otherwise destined to the original layer.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Gorilla Glass has been getting less prone to breaking but GG5 scratches much more easily than GG4. If you don't like scratches, put a screen protector in, it's that simple.

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
Couldn't be more satisfied. They've done their job perfectly by absorbing some stress otherwise destined to the original layer.

They are very different types of glass Screen protectors don't provide any drop protection, they are meant for preventing scratches. Screen protectors usually scratch and break so easily so saying "wow the screen protector cracked sacrificing itself to save the screen" is like saying "wow a book fell and hit me in the head but fortunately I was wearing a hat and an egg under the hat, the egg cracked and saved my life" in reality, nothing would have really happened to your skull if you didn't have an egg under your hat. A properly designed case a different story, there are some cases that are specifically designed for drop protection and they do act like a helmet, a helmet can save your life, an egg won't.

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
Gorilla Glass has been getting less prone to breaking but GG5 scratches much more easily than GG4. If you don't like scratches, put a screen protector in, it's that simple.

No one likes scratches but this phone has a screen that is so beautiful to put something on top to ruin the clarity/feeling, etc. All the people that I know that haven't used a screen protector for years says the same, they haven't got a single visible scratch, if any, just invisible scratches that can only be seen under direct sunlight and if you're really looking for them. All the screen protectors make the screen look like garbage not only under direct sunlight at and unusable angle but 24/7 and when youre actually trying to enjoy the screen. They ruin clarity and sometimes touch response since day one and in a few weeks they are all scratched and chipped but people leave like that just to "save the screen" and look at that horrible screen everyday, another excuse is the re-sale price but it is really the same there are a lot of people like me that just want to buy the phone and don't really care or would pay more if it has a screen protector installed or not, you're just "saving the screen" that you paid $850 for it so the next person that pays a fraction of that can actually enjoy the screen

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I tend to use them both to stop accidental marking up and for the added protection from an accidental drop.

Usually I sell my phones on to help accrue funds for my next phone so the better the phone is aesthetically the better the return.

Highrisedrifter

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I always put a screen protector and case on my phones from the minute it comes out the box. My screen protectors have saved my screens in the past, so overall i'm pretty happy.

I'm not careless with my phone at all, I just have a job that sometimes gets 'physical', and things can get broken.

Your mileage may vary.

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
They are very different types of glass Screen protectors don't provide any drop protection, they are meant for preventing scratches. Screen protectors usually scratch and break so easily so saying "wow the screen protector cracked sacrificing itself to save the screen" is like saying "wow a book fell and hit me in the head but fortunately I was wearing a hat and an egg under the hat, the egg cracked and saved my life" in reality, nothing would have really happened to your skull if you didn't have an egg under your hat. A properly designed case a different story, there are some cases that are specifically designed for drop protection and they do act like a helmet, a helmet can save your life, an egg won't.

LOL i think you may have won the analogy award for the hour. :cool:

I have never used a screen protector on any of my phones (tried a few times but did not like how they looked). if comforts some folks to have them on so more power to them.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Seriously gorilla Glass just keeps getting better and better. Gone are the days where you will scratch your screen putting it in your pocket. There is no actually need for one. I never use and never get scratches on my screens of any phone. Maybe I'm just not careless with $800+ dollar device.

Gorilla glass would still break if dropped. Glass screen protectors are a big help in preventing that. That's why I use them.

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I have ONE simple reason why I worry about a screen protector...THAT STUPID BUTTON ON MY JEAN POCKET! Whoever out that button there was in cahoots with screen protector makers. I've had several screens succumb to that stupid button no matter how "aware" and careful I am. 😟
Hahaha... Same!