why are screen protectors still thing.

whaddupdoe

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I remember a thread about how easily the Note 7 scratched, it had Gorilla Glass 5. I didn't want to believe until mine got a scratch. Not taking any chances.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
This is always a debate. Some people swear against them saying that with this glass, you don't need a screen protector and they personally have never scratched a phone before. Others say that they have first hand experience that they have scratched the screens of their phones. I am going to go with the safe route and the folks that have scratched their phones. lol

Sand is the root of all (scratchy) evil.

Jason Fournier1

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Another vote here for never use one and no problems with scratching. Screen protectors scratch much easier and unless you keep replacing them your phone won't look anyway. For those who just trade their phone in most times having a perfect screen doesn't matter. They just don't want it cracked.

vader4633

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Another vote here for never use one and no problems with scratching. Screen protectors scratch much easier and unless you keep replacing them your phone won't look anyway. For those who just trade their phone in most times having a perfect screen doesn't matter. They just don't want it cracked.

This is the first phone I am leasing. Always use screen protectors. Have put a spigen neo flex and now have an armoursuit on my s8 plus. Each has peeled up from putting cases on. Since I will be trading in for the newest galaxy every year, might go without the protector.

Last edited:

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I honestly don't care how much they claim how scratch resistant or water resistant my phone is I'm still going to be extra careful. These aren't $20 devices that you can just replace everytime an accident happens. Plus I'm clumsy and I would be the one to somehow break gorilla glass. Lol

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Maybe I'm just that wired guy that dedicates a pocket to just my phone. Nothing else ever goes in my left pocket except my phone. I use a case because of how freaking slippery phones have become especially glass backs.

The only time I ever hade a phone with a screen protector was because it came with one preinstalled and that was the mate 9.

I had a good laugh about a month ago when my friend dropped his iPhone and the screen cracked under the tempered glass protector he had on it haha.

Wow that sucked lol.

kleeno

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Seriously gorilla Glass just keeps getting better and better. Gone are the days where you will scratch your screen putting it in your pocket. There is no actually need for one. I never use and never get scratches on my screens of any phone. Maybe I'm just not careless with $800+ dollar device.

To be fair some people like myself who ride the bus be and work in restaurant the kitchen specifically where you have grease, heat, and condiments that sometimes smudge on the screen and most important of all the grease build up is killer sometimes.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I work construction and always used tempered glass. On my X Pure didn't use a thing and haven't had one scratch

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I use one because somehow my new S7 has a deep scratch on it. Also, I always forget which pocket I put my keys in, might be related.

lowboydrvr

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I thought the screen of my S6E+ was also scratch proof....I found out otherwise. The scratches weren't deep but nevertheless they were there. Until someone absolute proof the screen can't be scratched, mine is protected.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I personally get screen protectors. I would rather be safe than sorry. There is nothing wrong with spending $10-20 to protect your phone.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Heh, there are some brave people in here. If you're OK with scratches on your phone, I guess a screen protector is optional. But I would suggest that if you're OK with scratches, are you sure you want to buy an $850 phone? There are MUCH cheaper options out there.

Maybe that tempered glass stuff is a bit of overkill. But for $7.85 you can get an Illumi Aquashield or Skinomi wet-apply 2 pack on Amazon. So basically, for less than $4 a pop, you can put on a screen protector which will make your phone impervious to the occasional scrape with your keys, that annoying jean button, or just grains of silicate that happen to be in your pocket. I use an Illumi on my S8+, and if not for the dust that tends to collect on the 1 mm around the edges, I wouldn't even know it's there. Seems like a super-inexpensive way to protect a very expensive phone.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the problem is about protecting it. I get this a lot...

"It's just a phone."

I was never like this back with my Nokia/Sony Ericsson days. I can't remember using cases or especially screen protectors. Did they even exist back then? LOL

I guess my addition plays into it, you know an excuse to upgrade because of a tiny scratch, dent, etc.

Here's a question. I recently sold my OnePlus 3t (best IMO but upgraded anyway) for $500 CAN. Obviously it was in Like New condition because I had a case & screen protector but say it had a scratch or I dropped it, how MUCH would the price drop...$450, $400, $300?

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Heh, there are some brave people in here. If you're OK with scratches on your phone, I guess a screen protector is optional.

No protector and no scratches! To each their own and I usually use tempered glass (the wet application are garbage) but it's not mandatory by any means.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
No protector and no scratches! To each their own and I usually use tempered glass (the wet application are garbage) but it's not mandatory by any means.

Impressive! The first time I tried not using a screen protector was on my Note 7, And within a few days, it had a small but perceptible scratch. But hey, kudos to you if you're able to pull this off!

hparsons

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I find comments that it "can't be scratched" interesting; especially when we see, on the same forum, threads like this one:

So...it's been 5 days and yes, i got a nice around 2 cm scratch on my phone! I was really careful with it, no keys in the same pocket or anything else so i have no idea how it got that scratch (which is kinda deep since i can feel it using my fingernail) but it is what it is now. Although i have to say that my S7E haven't gotten a single scratch.

So, anyone used cerium oxide? I kinda want this scratch to be gone, otherwise ill be replacing the screen!

Any ideas?

Kalkarni00

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
With the amount I spent on the phone and possibility of selling later on, I would like it to be protected very will. I would like not to put so much on it but nah

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12