why are screen protectors still thing.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I'm not in the market of buying and selling phones I usually just trade it in as a down payment on my next phone. I had an HTC 10 for 10 months no screen protector and just a case dropped it several times had nothing more than barely visible micro scratches that you had to view from a specific angle. I live in a giant desert and have no issue with sand ending up in my pockets. When I do wipe the screen I always use an non alcoholic lens cleaner with a microfiber cloth. I never wipe that against my jeans or shirt especially dry. I don't feel that I need a screen protector because I take specific steps every day to ensure that I'm careful. All cases and screen protectors do is give people a false sense of security. I put a screen protector on it so my phone can't be scratched and leads to careless behavior with the device.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
LOL... The billion dollar screen protector industry must love you guys, especially if you buy Samsung. How many of you guys are planning on spending $100 plus dollars on screen protectors that don't work, or peel up when you put a case on them? Yeah, have fun with that. I've owned 3 edge screen phones with no scratches. Why should I spend my money on them?

If it makes you feel more secure to get one that kinda works, more power to you.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
While I definitely do agree that screen quality and design have gotten much better in recent years, I'm still way too paranoid to go without a screen protector. And even if my screen protector gets a crack or little scratch, it will annoy me. But that's just me. :p

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Seriously gorilla Glass just keeps getting better and better. Gone are the days where you will scratch your screen putting it in your pocket. There is no actually need for one. I never use and never get scratches on my screens of any phone. Maybe I'm just not careless with $800+ dollar device.

I love screen protectors. They keep my device brand new for many months and years. Gorilla glass is designed to prevent shattering screens, but will not prevent scratches. Like others mentioned, little things in life such as the rivets in your jeans will accidentally scratch your screen. Mostly, it's cosmetic, but I'm OCD and a bunch of scratches on the screen can be bothersome. A simple screen protector would solve that issue. Also it'll help if you accidentally drop your phone on cement or concrete.

Dngrsone

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
LOL... The billion dollar screen protector industry must love you guys, especially if you buy Samsung. How many of you guys are planning on spending $100 plus dollars on screen protectors that don't work, or peel up when you put a case on them? Yeah, have fun with that. I've owned 3 edge screen phones with no scratches. Why should I spend my money on them?

If it makes you feel more secure to get one that kinda works, more power to you.
I have never spent $100 on screen protectors, even with five phones to cover.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
See, I TRIED a screen protector today ... which lasted a whole 10 minutes before I peeled it off because it was coming off the edges. That annoys the living hell out of me and it was the same brand that I used to have on my S7E that gave me the same issue so I don't know why I even bothered. Waste of money. Literally. I will just stick with a case. I've gone that way with my S7E after the first month of failed screen protectors and it hasn't had any scratches. I am super careful with my phone and where I place it when I'm not using it. I will continue to do that with this phone because I feel like there won't ever be a screen protector that will protect this phone WITH a case on.

xsikal

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
I know GG will scratch, but I've never had a screen protector, and through both the Note 7, S7E and now S8+, being reasonably careful (keys and change in the other pocket, usually have my phone on the passenger seat when I drive) has to this point been enough to keep them scratch-free.

hparsons

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
...All cases and screen protectors do is give people a false sense of security. I put a screen protector on it so my phone can't be scratched and leads to careless behavior with the device.
You were clicking right along until you got to that last part.
I've had a screen protector on every phone I've owned in the last 8 years, and a case on every one in the last 7.
I don't exercise the level of care you do. I take them on my motorcycle, camping and boating, basically just about everything I do and everywhere I go. I've forgotten and put them in my pocket with keys, knocked them of counters and desks, and have even just dropped a few here and there.
When I get a new phone, my old one usually goes to a grandchild, family member or a friend that needs one. They typically look brand new.
It's good that you "take specific steps every day to ensure that I'm careful", and especially good to know that some phones will do fine with that level of care.
For those of us that have no desire to go to those extremes; cases and protectors do a fine job. No false sense of security here, they've proven their worth many times over.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site

If I buy a screen protector and it doesn't work properly, I return it for a refund and try again until I find one I like. So not really losing any money - or spending a lot of it.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
You were clicking right along until you got to that last part.
I've had a screen protector on every phone I've owned in the last 8 years, and a case on every one in the last 7.
I don't exercise the level of care you do. I take them on my motorcycle, camping and boating, basically just about everything I do and everywhere I go. I've forgotten and put them in my pocket with keys, knocked them of counters and desks, and have even just dropped a few here and there.
When I get a new phone, my old one usually goes to a grandchild, family member or a friend that needs one. They typically look brand new.
It's good that you "take specific steps every day to ensure that I'm careful", and especially good to know that some phones will do fine with that level of care.
For those of us that have no desire to go to those extremes; cases and protectors do a fine job. No false sense of security here, they've proven their worth many times over.

Bingo. Sure, it's easy to say - "I don't need a screen protector or a case" if your phone sits on a desk or table all day. My phones are exposed to, or potentially exposed to, sand, gravel, dirt, water, grass, oil, metal, dogs, toddlers, pollen, branches, fish hooks, etc. I'm supposed to remember to be super careful all the time in those situations? Screw that. Screen protector + case = security and freedom. And I resell every old phone when I get a new phone and they look like new, which is reflected in the sale price.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Maybe if I was in situations where it warranted a screen protector I would use one. Maybe I just have a solid routine down that works for me. In my everyday use I don't come across situations where I am like man I need a screen protector. Also there is something about how damn good a phone looks with out a screen protector on it, I would go naked if this phones wasn't a slippery son of *****.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
See, I TRIED a screen protector today ... which lasted a whole 10 minutes before I peeled it off because it was coming off the edges.

It takes longer than that to dry :) I have an Armorsuit Case Friendly on my S7e that is invisible and has not raised anything with the Spigen Tough Armor case. I applied the same shield to my S8+, let it set overnight and, sure enough, the edges came up with the same case combo as on the S7e. Contacted Armorsuit and they mailed two replacements cut from new templates. I have that shield on now, with the case and it is also invisible. Well, except around the cutouts at the top. Sorry you're having a tough time with them, but ones that work are out there.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
At the end of the day I know what I need to protect my phone. I'm super careful with my phone, but I'm also clumsy as hell and in certain situations I don't think to remove my keys or to not throw my phone in my purse with sharp objects. As another poster said, accidents happen. It makes me feel better to know that I have something covering my phone that may help keep my phone from being damaged.

vader4633

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
It takes longer than that to dry :) I have an Armorsuit Case Friendly on my S7e that is invisible and has not raised anything with the Spigen Tough Armor case. I applied the same shield to my S8+, let it set overnight and, sure enough, the edges came up with the same case combo as on the S7e. Contacted Armorsuit and they mailed two replacements cut from new templates. I have that shield on now, with the case and it is also invisible. Well, except around the cutouts at the top. Sorry you're having a tough time with them, but ones that work are out there.

I emailed armor suit as well for my s8 plus. The corners would peel up with a case on. They are also mailing me 2 of the update protectors. Have to see how they do with a case.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I emailed armor suit as well for my s8 plus. The corners would peel up with a case on. They are also mailing me 2 of the update protectors. Have to see how they do with a case.

This also happened with my Illumi Aquashield. I just emailed them yesterday to ask for replacements; we'll see what happens!

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Be sure you pay attention to the side to side orientation. Without the physical home key it's hard to clear all the sensors at the top and still pay attention to side to side on the bottom. I let it dry a full 12 hours and so far no interference at all with my Spigen Tough Armor case. Like you they also sent two protectors.