why are screen protectors still thing.

dryja123

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
LOL... The billion dollar screen protector industry must love you guys, especially if you buy Samsung. How many of you guys are planning on spending $100 plus dollars on screen protectors that don't work, or peel up when you put a case on them? Yeah, have fun with that. I've owned 3 edge screen phones with no scratches. Why should I spend my money on them?

If it makes you feel more secure to get one that kinda works, more power to you.
If I'm not satisfied, I return it. Wouldn't you return something that you weren't satisfied with?

Last year, the case friendly screen protector, by Skinomi, was perfect. $8 which is far less than that dart board $100+ claim.

jma78b

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I've got a flat tempered glass screen protector. Put it on on Friday evening. Saturday I see a crack in the right of the screen. It was the tempered glass that has cracked. I haven't even dropped the phone so I'm not sure how that got there. Annoyed with the that. The phone still feels nice and smooth but the protector doesn't look particularly good.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
It takes longer than that to dry :) I have an Armorsuit Case Friendly on my S7e that is invisible and has not raised anything with the Spigen Tough Armor case. I applied the same shield to my S8+, let it set overnight and, sure enough, the edges came up with the same case combo as on the S7e. Contacted Armorsuit and they mailed two replacements cut from new templates. I have that shield on now, with the case and it is also invisible. Well, except around the cutouts at the top. Sorry you're having a tough time with them, but ones that work are out there.

If I had had the opportunity to let it sit, maybe it would have worked. I had it applied at the AT&T store yesterday after I got my nails done and it was peeling off as soon as I put the case on and I refuse to take the case off to let the screen protector settle because I don't want to risk any accidental drops because you never know. I will look into that one and see if it works for me, thanks for the input!

Stuarttt

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
I'm not sure if I'm the only one but the S8+ is actually the first phone I've had one on.

The odd thing about this is that, judging by my past phones, I have absolutely no need for one. I traded in my Note 5 for store credit when I got the S8+ and got 100% maximum refund. The reps at the Verizon Store said they couldn't believe a 2 year old phone looked like it'd come out of the box a couple months ago...

Flash forward to this phone, I (mainly) have the protector because I had store credit from the Note 5 and I didn't need anything else. I also figured it wouldn't be a bad thing to protect this phone screen because of the infinity display and the fact that we've never it before.

If I didn't have store credit to spend, I can't say for sure if I would've bought a protector. With free replacements and a 1yr warranty per replacement though, even if one of them comes off the screen I can just go back to the store and grab another. (I did this 3 times the first weekend I had the phone. The glass wasn't sticking properly so I kept going back until I got one that worked)

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
If I had had the opportunity to let it sit, maybe it would have worked. I had it applied at the AT&T store yesterday after I got my nails done and it was peeling off as soon as I put the case on and I refuse to take the case off to let the screen protector settle because I don't want to risk any accidental drops because you never know. I will look into that one and see if it works for me, thanks for the input!

Based on how long it takes for my wife to get her nails done, you should be good if you have it applied right before going to the salon. :)

Joking aside though, I've found that 45 minutes is usually a sufficient time for a wet apply screen protector to sufficient adhere that I can pick up my phone and use it normally. It takes about 4 hours before it's fully affixed, but realistically if you just press down on any edges that start peeling, they'll stuck back in place without collecting dust or anything.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

You'll need to wait about 15 minutes after you squeegee out the fluid and smooth the shield before you roll the sides down as they won't set otherwise. Let the phone dry overnight at least 10 hours, 12 is better. Smooth down all the edges with the included cloth a few times, then gently put your case back on and you should be good. Keep in mind one of my other posts that some of the Armorsuit case friendly shields for the S8 series are somewhat oversize. If you get one of these they will send you the correct ones if you contact them.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Joking aside though, I've found that 45 minutes is usually a sufficient time for a wet apply screen protector to sufficient adhere that I can pick up my phone and use it normally. It takes about 4 hours before it's fully affixed, but realistically if you just press down on any edges that start peeling, they'll stuck back in place without collecting dust or anything.

This would probably work okay without a case, but not with one. It needs to dry at least overnight, and more is better before putting the case back on.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure if I'm the only one but the S8+ is actually the first phone I've had one on.

The odd thing about this is that, judging by my past phones, I have absolutely no need for one. I traded in my Note 5 for store credit when I got the S8+ and got 100% maximum refund. The reps at the Verizon Store said they couldn't believe a 2 year old phone looked like it'd come out of the box a couple months ago...

Flash forward to this phone, I (mainly) have the protector because I had store credit from the Note 5 and I didn't need anything else. I also figured it wouldn't be a bad thing to protect this phone screen because of the infinity display and the fact that we've never it before.

If I didn't have store credit to spend, I can't say for sure if I would've bought a protector. With free replacements and a 1yr warranty per replacement though, even if one of them comes off the screen I can just go back to the store and grab another. (I did this 3 times the first weekend I had the phone. The glass wasn't sticking properly so I kept going back until I got one that worked)

This actually makes a lot of sense lol

Wildside

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
What's a good film protector? I'm returning the Supershieldz - incompatible with the Spigen case I have.

I installed Spigen NeoFlex screen protector, waited 4 hours and then installed my Spigen Ultra Hybrid case. The screen protector started lifting off within about 2 hours.

I would think that Spigen screen protector would be compatible with a Spigen case.

I'm going to install the second protector in the pack and see if it works this time.

daddyd302

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Do you people who use screen protector also leave the plastic on when you buy your bed? I mean it's protection from "accidents" you know I mean? :p

I personally don't use it because it feel crappy, cost money and just ruins the look for me. I cannot stand looking at that outline on my screen from the protector. I've never had one screen scratch since the first time I bought a cell phone back in the early 2000's.

dryja123

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Do you people who use screen protector also leave the plastic on when you buy your bed? I mean it's protection from "accidents" you know I mean?
I personally don't use it because it feel crappy, cost money and just ruins the look for me. I cannot stand looking at that outline on my screen from the protector. I've never had one screen scratch since the first time I bought a cell phone back in the early 2000's.
I can respond "no" to your generalized comment regarding leaving plastic on the bed; although if it floats someones boat, more power to them. As others have stated, I like to keep the screen protected to maximize resell value when I want to get a new phone. I'll sacrifice looks and feel as long as I know when I peel the protector off, the phone will still look brand new.

I've tried a few screen protectors and they've failed to stay on when using a case. I've already started to get scratches in the middle of the screen.

dryja123

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
I installed Spigen NeoFlex screen protector, waited 4 hours and then installed my Spigen Ultra Hybrid case. The screen protector started lifting off within about 2 hours.

I would think that Spigen screen protector would be compatible with a Spigen case.

I'm going to install the second protector in the pack and see if it works this time.
Ugh, I'm bummed to hear this. I've tried the "case friendly" screen protector, by Skinomi, and wasn't able to get it to stick. I just purchased the Spigen NeoFlex hoping that it would work with the Spigen case.

Please report back your findings.

dryja123

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Here's some pictures of the back of my phone that definitely prove that this phone is not "scratch proof" as others have indicated. I normally keep a plastic screen protector on the back of my devices as well.

The phone was kept in a Spigen UltraHybrid almost as soon as it was taken out of the box.

I have some micro scratching on the screen but I'm not able to get a good picture of it. 1493664679094.jpg

Attachments

• 1493664657030.jpg
    1493664657030.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 39

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I have ONE simple reason why I worry about a screen protector...THAT STUPID BUTTON ON MY JEAN POCKET! Whoever out that button there was in cahoots with screen protector makers. I've had several screens succumb to that stupid button no matter how "aware" and careful I am. 😟

This. Every. Damn. Time.

hparsons

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Do you people who use screen protector also leave the plastic on when you buy your bed? I mean it's protection from "accidents" you know I mean? ...

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't leave plastic on my bed for "accidents".

I use a screen protector because I frequently do things that could scratch my screen. I don't have problems with "accidents" on my mattress.

As always, your mileage may vary, you know what I mean?

mmcpher

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Am I the only one who chooses a screen protector for anti-glare reasons?

Edit: Still looking for a good one for my S8+.

I almost always use an SP and want particularly to do so with my S8+ because I may trade it when the Galaxy Note 8 comes out. I got the S8+ shipped from ATT but there's a Verizon store right next store so I bought the SP there and had them put it on and it works fine. Except for the glare! Any sun at all and I'm staring back at my own mug and the SP is adding to the problem rather than correcting for it. Is the S8+ itself known to have glare issues?

Ecm

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Is the S8+ itself known to have glare issues?

No more than any other device. The glare in sunlight is common to almost every device. That's why I put the Belkin anti-glare screen protector on my (recently retired) iPhone 7 Plus. It made a huge difference. I want the same for my S8+. Just having trouble locating one.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I've had my old iPhone 6s Plus come out of its handlebar mount. If it weren't for the screen protector I would've cracked the screen. I'll stick with a screen protector thank you very much.