05-01-2017 09:51 AM
95 1234
tools
    My son's S8 with Spigen case and Spigen screen protector... CRACKED!
    Which case? I've got a rugged armor one.
    04-28-2017 11:34 AM
    That was in reference to a post in this thread from a members son dropping their phone and the protector ended up cracked.
    Yeah, that's what I was saying.
    04-28-2017 11:53 AM
    Ceramic would be my suggestion. Some phones have used it and I believe you can still have wireless charging with ceramic opposed to no wireless if you have a aluminum or metal back
    Actually, ceramic is worse for drops.

Ceramic is a harder material than glass. While that means it's extremely difficult to scratch, once it's dropped, it's usually a goner as a harder materials tend to be more brittle.

Soft touch plastic is the way to go, IMO. It's grippy and doesn't give up a cheapskate vibe. Plus, like on some Lumias, you can still have wireless charging. Pair it up with a nice aluminum frame and you've got a slick phone.
    04-28-2017 12:20 PM
    Good to know! I think I ordered that case with the gun metal border!
    04-28-2017 01:58 PM
    A case and a glass screen protector for all my phone. When I sold my s7 last month the buyer was impressed that it looks like it just came out of the retail box.
    And Verizon was impressed with my note3 when I returned my note7. I had it for almost three years with never putting a case on it or screen protector and not one ding. It's called being careful.
    04-28-2017 02:43 PM
    And Verizon was impressed with my note3 when I returned my note7. I had it for almost three years with never putting a case on it or screen protector and not one ding. It's called being careful.
    Yes being careful is great but that is why they're called "accidents" and not "I purposely just dropped my phone on this hard gravel haha look at this" .
    GrumpyMomofMacR likes this.
    04-28-2017 03:45 PM
    My phone went straight in a case when I bought it. I love the look of this phone and the glass makes it slippery therefore prone to unintentional drops so I prefer having it in a case. It's easier to hold and my cases are pretty so it's nice to look at. I want to keep my phone in pristine condition. I hated the plastic era of Samsung phones. Made them look cheap and ugly to be honest. I hated my S5 for that reason, but it was my first Android phone. Even the S5 was in a case. I can't use any phone without a case because if it gets scratched for any reason it would aggravate me lol
    amyf27 likes this.
    04-28-2017 03:54 PM
    And it's also called an accident for a reason, which can happen no matter how careful you are.
    GrumpyMomofMacR likes this.
    04-28-2017 04:14 PM
    But usually accidents are from not being careful.
    04-28-2017 07:04 PM
    Was it a glass screen protector? If it was it's a crappy one.
    screen protectors offer no protection against cracks if you drop it
    amyf27 likes this.
    04-28-2017 08:42 PM
    screen protectors offer no protection against cracks if you drop it
    I have to disagree. The glass screen protectors do help keep the screen from cracking.
    Ageeb likes this.
    04-28-2017 08:48 PM
    Yes and no. Once you learn how to handle glass phones, you'll never drop one. I never leave my phone hanging halfway out of a jacket or pants pocket. I never set my phone on the arm of a couch or chair or seat of a car. I always pull my phone out from a bag or pocket by the center, not the ends. After owning 3 generations of glass designs, I just don't have "accidents" anymore.

But other people not used to these phones might struggle and I do recommend as much protection as possible.
    Viscomi4444, Alan Sims and arunma like this.
    04-28-2017 09:03 PM
    Yes and no. Once you learn how to handle glass phones, you'll never drop one. I never leave my phone hanging halfway out of a jacket or pants pocket. I never set my phone on the arm of a couch or chair or seat of a car. I always pull my phone out from a bag or pocket by the center, not the ends. After owning 3 generations of glass designs, I just don't have "accidents" anymore.

But other people not used to these phones might struggle and I do recommend as much protection as possible.
    This is true. My sister didn't know that the S 7 edge was glass and within a month she cracked the back, but now she knows better with the S 8+.
    04-28-2017 09:16 PM

I find myself doing the exact same things. I'm not pulling my phone out while walking the dogs or holding it while trying to fist bump someone, holding it while trying to open a door, setting it on my lap while driving, etc. So many examples, I could go on all day.
    Alan Sims likes this.
    04-28-2017 10:26 PM
    I find myself doing the exact same things. I'm not pulling my phone out while walking the dogs or holding it while trying to fist bump someone, holding it while trying to open a door, setting it on my lap while driving, etc. So many examples, I could go on all day.
    Haha, same here. Some might say why go through all the trouble for this phone, but really it's like second nature to me now.
    Alan Sims and Viscomi4444 like this.
    04-28-2017 10:58 PM
    Or just... You know.. accidents.
    jma78b and GrumpyMomofMacR like this.
    04-28-2017 11:38 PM
    Usually I don't have any problems with the phone and walking the big dogs. I wasn't being careful that time it slipped and since then and before then I've been fine with it. In the van I have a dash mount for it and the bicycle I have the handlebar mount. Motorcycle it goes in my secure travel bag.
    Viscomi4444 likes this.
    04-29-2017 06:59 AM
    People can be as careful as they may be, but as Almeuit basically said, accidents will happen.

Sh*t happens and it is better to be safe than sorryツ
    04-29-2017 08:20 AM
    People can be as careful as they may be, but as Almeuit basically said, accidents will happen.

Sh*t happens and it is better to be safe than sorryツ
    That's why I usually keep my cases on
    LineKill likes this.
    04-29-2017 08:43 AM
    I feel you on that one, Amy. I was at the pool hall the other night and a guy on the other team was saying good matches tonight -- so he went to give me a fist bump and I did while holding my phone. It fell out of my hand and did about 5 spins then landed on the screen. Luckily it is okay. I think the Spigen case helped.

I went home and fully checked it .. It is good to go but man was I scared. Time to be more careful :P.
    Klutz. Lol
    Almeuit likes this.
    04-29-2017 08:47 AM
    That's why I usually keep my cases on
    Amy, just to be clear, I was not directing that message towards you. It was to the people that believe nothing will ever happen if they are being careful☺️
    jma78b likes this.
    04-29-2017 08:51 AM
    Oh I know I was just saying that's the main reason I keep cases on this stuff happens. I really like this phone and I'm not going to have it destroyed
    LineKill and arunma like this.
    04-29-2017 08:54 AM
    Oh I know I was just saying that's the main reason I keep cases on this stuff happens. I really like this phone and I'm not going to have it destroyed
    Agreed, and with @ThrottleJohnny's comment about knowing how to handle glass phones. I'm very careful with how I treat my Samsung phones, even at home (where I still have them in cases most of the time). These are $850 pieces of hardware we're carrying around in our pockets, and even non-catastrophic household accidents can cause scratches and dents. If someone is OK with that, then to each their own I guess. I wouldn't be OK with a damaged phone though, even if the damage is purely aesthetic.

I guess you should have some level of protection commensurate with how careful you are with your phone. The worst I've ever done is drop my phone on the office carpeting a couple of times over the last few years, so something like a Spigen clear case works for me. My wife, on the other hand, is quite careless with her iPhone, and so I basically require her to use a very-thick armor case at all times. But I don't know anyone who never has had an accident with their smartphone. At minimum, I feel it's best to put one of those bumpers around the rim of your phone, especially with the glass/metal sandwich we have in the Galaxy S8.
    04-29-2017 09:19 AM
    My son's S8 with Spigen case and Spigen screen protector... CRACKED!
    Apologies if I missed a post on this and am asking a repeat question. If I may ask: did the screen protector crack? Or is this damage to the screen itself we're seeing? This case looks like a Spigen rugged armor case, which I used on my S7 Edge. And I'm using a similar Spigen case on my S8+. If it can't even handle a drop in the case, I may consider switching to something better. Maybe Caseology, based on the results reported in this thread.
    04-29-2017 09:23 AM
    Hey @amyf27, I cannot remember if you use screen protectors or not and I am absolutely too lazy too try and look it up. If not, does your case have a little lip on the front and did the screen get scratched at all?
    04-29-2017 09:26 AM
95 1234