08-14-2017 11:08 PM
188 ... 45678
tools
    My phone has frozen and then rebooted about 3 times, now. It's as if the app I am using crashes and that sends the phone into a tailspin. THe first time it happened, I could not get it to turn on until I did a soft reset by holding down the power button and down volume button for something like 20 seconds.
    05-20-2017 06:33 AM
    I haven't had a random reboot in two weeks. Knock on wood.
    05-20-2017 06:48 AM
    I have been researching this for 10 days. I have no SD card. No recognition finger or face or iris. Factory reset everything and still reboots to white samsung screen every 2 hours. Then I one by one reinstalled my apps. Then i reinstalled Nova Launcher Prime and am convinced it is associated with that . When using stock launcher no problems

I am forcing samsung to acknowlege the problem
    05-20-2017 09:07 AM
    Then i reinstalled Nova Launcher Prime and am convinced it is associated with that . When using stock launcher no problems
    Many of us have had random restarts on the S8 without ever installing a third-party launcher.

I am forcing samsung to acknowle[d]ge the problem
    How are you doing that?
    1812dave likes this.
    05-20-2017 09:25 AM
    Hasn't happened so far - Samsung 128gb SD
    THIS
    05-20-2017 01:50 PM
    Mine has happened like 8 times since launch. Samsung evo 128gb card.
    05-21-2017 05:54 AM
    Zero reboots and 128 gb card in since the phone came out.
    05-21-2017 06:28 AM
    Do you guys have applications installed on the sd card? I bet if you do that you won't be in here proclaiming that you don't have the problem. (which honestly I don't get the point of even posting in this thread to say you DON'T have the problem, but hey, you gotta up that post count right?)
    05-21-2017 07:24 AM
    Do you guys have applications installed on the sd card? I bet if you do that you won't be in here proclaiming that you don't have the problem. (which honestly I don't get the point of even posting in this thread to say you DON'T have the problem, but hey, you gotta up that post count right?)
    Have you gone on the days that Samsung is at Best Buy and talked to them?
    05-21-2017 07:37 AM
    I bet if you do that you won't be in here proclaiming that you don't have the problem. (which honestly I don't get the point of even posting in this thread to say you DON'T have the problem, but hey, you gotta up that post count right?
    Wrong. It's not hard to understand. If we want to diagnose how widespread the problem is and what might be causing it, we need to hear both from people who are having the problem, and people who aren't.
    1naturalace, H3aTeRzz and kbz1960 like this.
    05-21-2017 07:47 AM
    Wrong. It's not hard to understand. If we want to diagnose how widespread the problem is and what might be causing it, we need to hear both from people who are having the problem, and people who aren't.
    This!
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    05-21-2017 09:41 AM
    Just yesterday my S8+ rebooted itself for the first time since I purchased it (so basically since April 19). I was doing a fairly mundane task; closing the Samsung web browser I believe. I haven't had this happen to me again since yesterday, but I'll let you guys know if I experience it again.

I'm using a Samsung 256 GB memory card from last year's Note 7 promo.
    05-21-2017 12:11 PM
    Have you gone to both your carrier corporate store, and Best Buy to see the Samsung people to get the problem corrected.
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    05-21-2017 01:42 PM
    Have you gone to both your carrier corporate store, and Best Buy to see the Samsung people to get the problem corrected.
    This is a widespread problem with the S8 and neither the carriers nor Samsung have any clue how to fix it. Going on wild-goose treks to physical store locations would only greatly compound the inconvenience.

If you go to Samsung's support forum, you'll see that the reps there acknowledge the problem but have no idea what to do about it. That's one step better than the stores, where most reps haven't even heard of the problem.
    05-21-2017 06:10 PM
    Man Please !
    All I can say is on day one, I got 2 S8+ phones.
    It's got to be the best phone I've ever had.
    Hate to hear peoplke are still having problems.
    kevinpleasants and H3aTeRzz like this.
    05-21-2017 08:32 PM
    Well last time it was Lg who had a bootloop issue guess they passed down that problem to samsung XD
    No issues on mine either not using any sd cards
    Bootloop and random reboot are not the same thing
    05-21-2017 08:53 PM
    Wrong. We already know this isn't affecting everyone, or there would be a recall... So there is no point in posting to say that you don't have the problem. If everyone on the forums who is not having the issue posted in this thread it would be buried with people who don't have the issue.

So if you think about it, if it was only those posting in the thread who have the issue, we could see how bad the issue truly was, in itself. I stand by my original statement, there is no reason to post in this thread "I am not having the issue". The thread should be for people who have the issue, and those who don't have the issue but are trying to offer advice or a fix. Anything else is just congesting the thread with useless info to pad your post count.

Common sense really....

Edit: Also posts that say one word such as "This" are also just as pointless IMO and serve no real meaningful use in the ongoing conversation to try and find a fix. Not to mention that saying "This" about a quoted post is so 2005.....
    05-21-2017 10:57 PM
    ^ Yeah i don't agree with this...at all. First off, no one is scoring points or winning prizes by having a high post count, so that's not even a thing.

But beyond that, it IS important to know how many people are having bootlooping issues, and how many are not, so that those with the issue know that they can exchange their phones. I for one have not had the issue, and I am currently using an Samsung Evo SD card with apps loading onto it.

In these types of situations, pages and pages of people saying they have had the issue, but offering nothing else, isn't the answer either. More information is needed, not less.

And replying in agreement with *THIS*, only seems to bother people when they're not the one using it. lol
    05-21-2017 11:12 PM
    ^ Yeah i don't agree with this...at all. First off, no one is scoring points or winning prizes by having a high post count, so that's not even a thing.

But beyond that, it IS important to know how many people are having bootlooping issues, and how many are not, so that those with the issue know that they can exchange their phones. I for one have not had the issue, and I am currently using an Samsung Evo SD card with apps loading onto it.

In these types of situations, pages and pages of people saying they have had the issue, but offering nothing else, isn't the answer either. More information is needed, not less.

And replying in agreement with *THIS*, only seems to bother people when they're not the one using it. lol
    Agree to disagree then, I see it as a waste, even if someone "This" quotes my post.

And you are the first I have seen to say that they have apps on the sd card and are not having issues, the rest simply say, "I have had the phone since (date) and I have no issues!!!1" Or they say they have the sd card installed with no issues, but never specify if they have apps installed or just pics and videos.

Point is if you are simply posting just to say your phone is fine, and not giving any extra info about your setup, you are wasting all our time reading your post.
    05-21-2017 11:17 PM
    Mine rebooted one time a couple days after I got it. It froze up and rebooted.

Put an SD card in since then and haven't had any other problems.
    05-21-2017 11:23 PM
    Agree to disagree then, I see it as a waste, even if someone "This" quotes my post.

And you are the first I have seen to say that they have apps on the sd card and are not having issues, the rest simply say, "I have had the phone since (date) and I have no issues!!!1" Or they say they have the sd card installed with no issues, but never specify if they have apps installed or just pics and videos.
    Read back through the thread. I'm not the only one. I'm not denying it's an issue with some of these phones.

But we need as many people to chime in with their experiences as possible. That way people can get a sense of whether their phone might be at risk, if it's a continuous issue that can be fixed or not fixed. And even to help folks still within their return period know that they can possibly find an unaffected unit.

Trying to shut people down because their experience doesn't match yours doesn't help either, and it's also a waste of time.

On another note, it will be interesting to see if Samsung addresses this on the next update. They tend to be good about that sort of thing actually.
    05-21-2017 11:24 PM
    Wrong. We already know this isn't affecting everyone, or there would be a recall[.]
    Are you serious? A recall on the S8, following the Note 7 recall, would destroy Samsung. Nothing short of a life-threatening defect would move them to recall this phone. If they have a widespread reboot problem they don't know how to fix, they're going to try to keep quiet about it and hope it doesn't get much publicity.
    1naturalace likes this.
    05-22-2017 05:53 AM
    Oh Geez... There are 147 posts here representing probably about 30 or 40 people with a problem out of how many hundreds of thousands of people who bought the phone so far. This is not a random reboot problem. It is obviously a software compatibility problem. Which software is causing it isn't so obvious. Has anyone even looked to see if it might be a Nougat issue? I have seen issues for years and many devices involving the SD card crossover issues. If that is part of it or ONE cause for SOME of the problems then stop putting apps on the card. There could be one cause or many. The fact is that MOST people do not have it or it WOULD be on the news already.

The kind of thinking below has screwed up all sides of political debate. We don't need it here in the real world where it can all eventually be reduced to ones and zeroes.

Are you serious? A recall on the S8, following the Note 7 recall, would destroy Samsung. Nothing short of a life-threatening defect would move them to recall this phone. If they have a widespread reboot problem they don't know how to fix, they're going to try to keep quiet about it and hope it doesn't get much publicity.
    05-22-2017 07:58 AM
    The fact is that MOST people do not have it or it WOULD be on the news already. [...] It is obviously a software compatibility problem.
    Huh? No one claimed that "most" people have the problem (although, contrary to your statement, it's entirely possible that they do without it being "on the news"; the vast majority of users do not bother to report problems, in part because they perceive it as futile to do so).

We don't know how many people are affected by the problem. We don't know if it's a software bug or a hardware bug. We certainly don't know that it's a "software compatibility" problem--and if it is, it's still an OS bug, because in a properly working OS, an incompatible app might crash, but it won't be able to crash the whole phone.

We don't have the resources on this forum to measure the extent of the problem. But hearing from as broad a sample as possible--people who have the problem, and people who don't--will at least give us a crude approximation. When you discourage people from speaking up, you only degrade the already limited information available to us.
    05-22-2017 08:25 AM
    I was not discouraging anyone from speaking up. I was questioning the conclusions being assumed. I think we do know it is software incompatibility with something but it could be a number of different problems. The poster's assumptions did nothing to help the situation. I am trying to encourage everyone to use what is here to individually consider their separate problems. I degrade nothing when I ask this guy to calm down and try to discover facts. And dego did suggest that if a large number of people had this problem it would be ignored. None of us know what the "vast majority" would or would not do. That said, I still believe if it were that widespread it would be known in more than just this forum. I follow several tech threads on Android and Samsung and have seen no mention other than here.

Huh? No one claimed that "most" people have the problem (although, contrary to your statement, it's entirely possible that they do without it being "on the news"; the vast majority of users do not bother to report problems, in part because they perceive it as futile to do so).

We don't know how many people are affected by the problem. We don't know if it's a software bug or a hardware bug. We certainly don't know that it's a "software compatibility" problem--and if it is, it's still an OS bug, because in a properly working OS, an incompatible app might crash, but it won't be able to crash the whole phone.

We don't have the resources on this forum to measure the extent of the problem. But hearing from as broad a sample as possible--people who have the problem, and people who don't--will at least give us a crude approximation. When you discourage people from speaking up, you only degrade the already limited information available to us.
    05-22-2017 10:00 AM
188 ... 45678