The Samsung Galaxy S8 has a random reboot problem and nobody knows why.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
I just had my first reboot after 8 days.

Phone all of a sudden froze and rebooted. Also of note today is the first day I am using the phone with the Samsung 256gb SD card.

By the way this is NOT a little random problem. On Samsungs official community message boards there is over 20 pages of people have this problem. And many of the big name tech sites are now reporting this on their sites.

So it does seem like it is a little bit more than just a few people having this problem.

I'm sorry you're having issues with your phone. I wasn't belittling your trouble.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
So now it's having bootloop issues like LG phones do?

Also it seems the Samsung micro SD cards always seem to be causing issues. I've seen post on here talking about their Samsung Micro SD cards dying on them.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I just had my first reboot after 8 days.

Phone all of a sudden froze and rebooted. Also of note today is the first day I am using the phone with the Samsung 256gb SD card.

By the way this is NOT a little random problem. On Samsungs official community message boards there is over 20 pages of people have this problem. And many of the big name tech sites are now reporting this on their sites.

So it does seem like it is a little bit more than just a few people having this problem.
Well there could be 20 pages but is it 20 pages of seperate issues or 20 pages of a few discussing it back and forth. Fortunately I have not had this issue yet, usually I'm the one that gets it first. Hopefully it is an easy fix, at least we haven't heard of any becoming flame throwers, that's a good thing.

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I'm using the Samsung card from the note 7 and no issues yet. At least not that I've noticed and o would have to use my pin if it happened.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
If folks are within their 14 day return period, I'm not sure why they're sitting around discussing it in a forum. Return it ASAP and get a replacement or a different phone.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Well reboots may not be necessarily hardware... could be software and need to figure out what. Could be a conflict with an app... the the 2:1 screen size you could have issues that cause crashes until apps are updated. It could be updates or security patches causing new conflicts that didn't happen with preload. Or an app got updated and could be a popular app or not and it's causing the crash.

The issue is if it is sw. If Its with an app you can work around by uninstalling it or waiting for update. if it requires an OS update then you wonder with the way you have to wait for carriers to push updates if you'll ever get it.

Then if it's hardware then...

If folks are within their 14 day return period, I'm not sure why they're sitting around discussing it in a forum. Return it ASAP and get a replacement or a different phone.

Mr_Spencer

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I made a thread about this on day 2 or 3 after receiving the phone. So basically the 21/22. My phone kept rebooting throughout the day. Since then it has not happened again.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
You guys having these issues have you tried removing the Sd Card, reformatted it as a last resort or tried another.
That's If of course this is connected to a card.

There's so much this could be attributed to unfortunately and imo is a process of stripping back what you've put on the phone.

Jacy Hung

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
I have the T-Mobile S8, not sure what happened but today I enabled the Mobile HotSpot and for some reason the phone shut off..

It didn't boot itself back up and holding the power button or power + volume down didn't do anything. I plugged the phone into my portable charger (luckily I had one on hand as I was out at the time) and the phone began to charge (the phone was at 29%), and then pressing the power button booted it back up.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Just another thought.

You guys that are having these issues ~ was the phone supplied by a Network or via Samsung direct.

I'm just wondering as in the Uk a network will test / play around with firmware before allowing Samsung to send out patches and firmware so it could be conflicting somehow on the phone.

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I was watching a movie late last night and my S8+ suddenly shut down ???

Screen went entirely black so I held the power and I believe one of the volume buttons down for a few seconds until powered back up ??

It was a little scary since I've never owned a phone that did that ........ I had thought perhaps I uummmmm shouldn't​ be watching what I'm watching ahem ahem ???

Hopefully it's an isolated incident ??

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
- Samsung is aware of this issue (according to the Samsung official boards) so if they are aware its big enough problem that they are looking into

- People have reported they have returned the phone and got a new one and still having the problem.

If you do a quick google search for S8 reboot, there are a bunch of top tech sites now reporting on this. This is NOT good news for Samsung after the note 7 problem

I have only had it once so far. So lets see what happens