S8 Real Review

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: Flossy's full review of the S8

His reviews are some of the best, the somewhat unconventional narrative and fun dialog makes it fun to watch and listen to. I usually have three I care most about hearing from.

MKBHD, Flossy and Erica

Those three give me all the perspective I need.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
For those that take exception with reporting issues why do you even bother with reviews then? It's like Sammobile having to apologize to Samsung fans for pointing out the flaws of the S8 devices. What's the point of just hiding the flaws? Everyone can feel happy in their ignorance?

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
That's why it's called a review.
True, and there are people who are looking to upgrade, switching from another brand, out to get the latest and greatest etc... who appreciate this type of review simply because they are trying to get as much info about a product as possible. In addition they may be looking for an honest opinion and not someone trying to sell them something.

Last edited:

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
For those that take exception with reporting issues why do you even bother with reviews then? It's like Sammobile having to apologize to Samsung fans for pointing out the flaws of the S8 devices. What's the point of just hiding the flaws? Everyone can feel happy in their ignorance?

You see the same thing on political message boards.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Flossy and White Shoes are the best. I sometimes listen to his reviews for phones I don't even have an interest in purchasing.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Flossy and White Shoes are the best. I sometimes listen to his reviews for phones I don't even have an interest in purchasing.
Same. As I mentioned in an earlier post, some people are trying to get as much info about a product as possible.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
He's in my top three as my favorites, Tony Stark aka Michael Fisher and MKBHD.

I love how REAL he is where it does feel scripted.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Nobody here is saying it's a total fail nor is anyone questioning the intelligence of those who like the phone.

you took the words right out of my mouth! i was like, i didn't see ANY such extreme statements (nor did i or would i make any : )

Been in these forums for like 10 years and i just will never understand WHY the most innocuous comment will sometimes be interpreted in the harshest way.

There's no doubt Flossy loves the S8 & S8+. He ought to, he paid enuf for them!

But a flagship ought to really be held to four key standards: Design, Performance, Quality & Price. If you miss even ONE of those 4 main ingredients, you've missed it by a country mile, doesn't matter what 3 ya achieve IMHO. All i'm sayin'....

BTC

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
You see the same thing on political message boards.

And I don't agree with it there either. Everyone just wants to remain ignorant of anything that does not fit their point of view. Internet had become one giant collection of echo chambers where people just come to listen to themselves talk while shutting out anyone with a dissenting opinion.

The S8/+ series has plenty of problems. It's far from perfect. I still use it, for now, but Samsung could and should have done better.

Edit: realized autocorrect changed echo chambers to economic chambers, so I changed it back.

Last edited:

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure I understand your point when you list price as one of the 4 essential criteria in a good flag ship. Are you saying a good flagship should be less expensive than a non flagship? Or are you saying there should be no difference in a company's Flagship price and it's nonFlagship price? And if you're saying that, then why have Flag ships and non Flag ships? I guess my point is that if you have one phone that has all the latest specs, but you have another that has last year's specs specs, wouldn't you naturally expect the first one to be more expensive?

Hi Rich! I don't think what i am saying is as confusing as the way you interpreted. But here goes, i'm a break it down for ya : )

So these days "flagships" are under a lot more pressure to design a phone that is VERY much deserving of our hard earned CA$H, when you consider how MUCH mid rangers are delivering a COMPLETE phone experience these days for 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a "FLAGSHIP".

So, when a company NOW wants you to part with upwards of "DOUBLE the price of a mid range offering" (to me) the flagship should "not only top the mid range class in EVERY area" BUT should also justify the high price tag by offering features unavailable in the mid range class, which quite frankly i'm not feeling in the S8/S8+.

Once upon a time if you didn't go "all in" on your cell phone purchase, as a consumer, you wound up with a very watered down experience, from lag, to plastic, to poor updates, to paltry battery life. Such is no longer the case in 2017. So if times have changed dramatically, flagship status should change dramatically too, offering a lot more bang for the buck, or it will be at their peril. Just my observation, i am by no means a marketing expert.

BTC

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Just finished watching the epic motion picture review.

Flossy always brings up price and features of past Android device version features.

From a price perspective, the carrier needs to work with the companies like Samsung to bring value more in line with price that allows both companies to make a nice profit while making the consumer feel less fleeced. I would like to see 256GB internal storage and more cloud storage space affordability so that the need for a micro SD card is no longer necessary.

The IR blaster stands, IMHO, has very little chance of making a come back as compared to the removable back cover whose ship has sailed with the advent of the unibody design. Let's face it. Faux metal or plastic doesn't exactly exude premium value.

On the other hand, incorporating the fps into the onscreen home button seems to be a feature that we are likely see in the GS9. Another feature likely to come to a future GS device is the dual camera.

Hopefully, manufacturers are paying attention to YouTube reviewers with large viewership and will be incorporating desired features.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
A phone release last June.

The argument will probably be hard to make when more models come out this year. OnePlus 5 will be an interesting one. Competition is coming out with new phones with the the 835, more memory, storage, battery and dual cameras and doing for hundreds less.

The question is does the S8/+ offer that much more to warrant the premium. It's not perfect... for that price the arguments are real... no dual cam, no quad DAC or dual firing speakers and I for one would still want bigger battery especially in the smaller S8. For a premium price there are a lot of consessions where for hundreds less you buy knowing you can live without them. That's something each has to decide themselves.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
A phone release last June.

The argument will probably be hard to make when more models come out this year. OnePlus 5 will be an interesting one. Competition is coming out with new phones with the the 835, more memory, storage, battery and dual cameras and doing for hundreds less.

The question is does the S8/+ offer that much more to warrant the premium. It's not perfect... for that price the arguments are real... no dual cam, no quad DAC or dual firing speakers and I for one would still want bigger battery especially in the smaller S8. For a premium price there are a lot of consessions where for hundreds less you buy knowing you can live without them. That's something each has to decide themselves.

Well the S7 Edge is also a year old phone, yet I would take it over the Axon. Mainly due to water resistance, better screen, bigger battery, Samsung Pay, Samsung themes ect.

As you said, it's individual. But people pay extra for Samsung features, not just for the hell of it.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Just finished watching the epic motion picture review.

Flossy always brings up price and features of past Android device version features.

From a price perspective, the carrier needs to work with the companies like Samsung to bring value more in line with price that allows both companies to make a nice profit while making the consumer feel less fleeced. I would like to see 256GB internal storage and more cloud storage space affordability so that the need for a micro SD card is no longer necessary.

The IR blaster stands, IMHO, has very little chance of making a come back as compared to the removable back cover whose ship has sailed with the advent of the unibody design. Let's face it. Faux metal or plastic doesn't exactly exude premium value.

On the other hand, incorporating the fps into the onscreen home button seems to be a feature that we are likely see in the GS9. Another feature likely to come to a future GS device is the dual camera.

Hopefully, manufacturers are paying attention to YouTube reviewers with large viewership and will be incorporating desired features.

However, almost everyone slaps a case onto their phones so having a glass back is silly to me and probably cost more too to produce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy