05-06-2017 07:29 AM
53 123
tools
    I always seem to find myself coming back to the iPhone. Until now.

I am so confident in my immediate love for the s8+ that I sold off my 7 plus today. Wish me luck
    I did the opposite thing. I used the S8+ for a few days and went back to my iPhone 7 Plus.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new device!
    04-30-2017 10:44 AM
    Firstly, the emoticons form the S8 look **** compared to iPhone, but thats not the worst thing.
    My preferred keyboard is Gboard (formerly Google Keyboard) and the emoticon choices are comparable to the one on iOS.
    libra89 likes this.
    04-30-2017 10:54 AM
    i can't understand how people can put all of their apples in one basket (no pun intended).
    It's not a bad idea to have a few tools in your belt, especially considering the need for backup. Spare tyre analogy, too.
    JHStewart1023 likes this.
    04-30-2017 09:38 PM
    I don't understand how someone can be get bored with a Samsung flagship and then go to an iphone lol. I could never go from an s8+ to an ugly bezeled phone with an inferior display and worse battery life. Plus the iPhone is so restricted with everything.
    Agreed. Nothing exciting about iPhones. Sure it's very stylish, has a clean OS, and good battery. However, there's so much more you could do on the Samsung vs Apple. For example: easily drag and drop files to the phone storage or microSD vs trying to figure out how to use iTunes, sharing files between smartphones easily, enjoying feature rich content with the Gear VR vs iPhone's cardboard box VR, being able to shoot low light and faster focusing photos, use a wireless charging pad at Starbucks vs plugging the iPhone to the wall outlet, making retail purchases at any POS terminal with Samsung Pay vs limited/ useless Apple Pay, having a huge vibrant Samsung display vs a big bezel phone with small screen.
    04-30-2017 11:17 PM
    I also sold my iPhone 7 Plus for the S8+. I'm loving the customization that android has! Really the only thing I miss is being able to use iMessage on my computer...Unless there is a way to do that with android!?????
    Welcome to the dark side aka android .
    04-30-2017 11:30 PM
    Agreed. Nothing exciting about iPhones. Sure it's very stylish, has a clean OS, and good battery. However, there's so much more you could do on the Samsung vs Apple. For example: easily drag and drop files to the phone storage or microSD vs trying to figure out how to use iTunes, sharing files between smartphones easily, enjoying feature rich content with the Gear VR vs iPhone's cardboard box VR, being able to shoot low light and faster focusing photos, use a wireless charging pad at Starbucks vs plugging the iPhone to the wall outlet, making retail purchases at any POS terminal with Samsung Pay vs limited/ useless Apple Pay, having a huge vibrant Samsung display vs a big bezel phone with small screen.
    Some good arguments but most of it is only available in the USA and a select few countries. Where I live, Apple Pay is available while Samsung Pay has only been launched a few days ago with extremely limited bank / card support. Starbucks here doesn't offer wireless charging pads. Everything here is a reflection of the iPhone's massive 70% market share, with local apps mainly being available on iOS and only sometimes on Android as well.

Also, the 7 Plus offers seamless tethering for my Mac, allows me to write and receive texts on the computer, works with my car's Bluetooth (while the S8+ doesn't), works with my Apple watch, with iCloud that I'm paying for etc. Seamlessly sharing files with others works great via Dropbox and a gazillion of other cloud services and I haven't used iTunes in years. The iPhone has been consistently faster for me as well, photos are stored and automatically shared with all other computers in the household and the extended family (all Mac users, incidentally), low-light performance is comparable and so is autofocus speed. Also, I can use a decent screen protector on the 7 Plus.

Yes, Android is flexible and the S8+ is beautiful (minus the pink tint on mine). It's probably the better phone than the 7 Plus and the latter looks extremely dated next to the Samsung. But the ecosystem is where Android is sorely lacking.

Overall, it's very hard to switch away from an iPhone IF you also have other Apple devices and have built your workflow around those. If not, there'd be nothing keeping me with Apple.
    Qc_Anubis likes this.
    04-30-2017 11:39 PM
    I agree with everything you said except for the stylish part. The thing is certified hideous. The back is ok, except for the antenna lines.
    04-30-2017 11:53 PM
    Some good arguments but most of it is only available in the USA and a select few countries. Where I live, Apple Pay is available while Samsung Pay has only been launched a few days ago with extremely limited bank / card support. Starbucks here doesn't offer wireless charging pads. Everything here is a reflection of the iPhone's massive 70% market share, with local apps mainly being available on iOS and only sometimes on Android as well.

Also, the 7 Plus offers seamless tethering for my Mac, allows me to write and receive texts on the computer, works with my car's Bluetooth (while the S8+ doesn't), works with my Apple watch, with iCloud that I'm paying for etc. Seamlessly sharing files with others works great via Dropbox and a gazillion of other cloud services and I haven't used iTunes in years. The iPhone has been consistently faster for me as well, photos are stored and automatically shared with all other computers in the household and the extended family (all Mac users, incidentally), low-light performance is comparable and so is autofocus speed. Also, I can use a decent screen protector on the 7 Plus.

Yes, Android is flexible and the S8+ is beautiful (minus the pink tint on mine). It's probably the better phone than the 7 Plus and the latter looks extremely dated next to the Samsung. But the ecosystem is where Android is sorely lacking.

Overall, it's very hard to switch away from an iPhone IF you also have other Apple devices and have built your workflow around those. If not, there'd be nothing keeping me with Apple.
    I have the iPhone 7 plus along with S8+. I like going back and forth between iOS and Android, i also don't feel I'm restricted with iPhone since it has own set of advantages and Android has it's own. But one thing I'll never build my workflow with Apple services since they aren't great IMO and second they are a platform lock up. I understand iMessage lock up, once you start using it's tough to get out but other services like iCloud photos etc aren't that tough to get away from. For photos, Google photos absolutely destroys everything else and there isn't a service that comes close to it.

Overall I switch seamlessly between Android, iOS since the services I use work great on both and on Mac or PC. Also have an Apple watch when using iPhone, gear S3 when using Android.
    05-01-2017 12:27 AM
    lmao an Apple person saying theyll be bored with an Android, how funny is that
    I said that when I bought my S7 Edge. I knew that I should not sell any of my iPhones. I always go back and use both iPhone and my Android phones. My 6S+ is my daily phone because I bought some Apple watches a few months ago.

I am however skipping the S8 and getting the Note 8 whenever that comes out and will still continue using both Apple and Android. I tend to get bored with one and go full on with the other until I get bored again and go back to the other.
    zipro and Gayle Lynn like this.
    05-01-2017 07:25 AM
    I have the iPhone 7 plus along with S8+. I like going back and forth between iOS and Android, i also don't feel I'm restricted with iPhone since it has own set of advantages and Android has it's own. But one thing I'll never build my workflow with Apple services since they aren't great IMO and second they are a platform lock up. I understand iMessage lock up, once you start using it's tough to get out but other services like iCloud photos etc aren't that tough to get away from. For photos, Google photos absolutely destroys everything else and there isn't a service that comes close to it.

Overall I switch seamlessly between Android, iOS since the services I use work great on both and on Mac or PC. Also have an Apple watch when using iPhone, gear S3 when using Android.
    I don't use Apple products at all but I applaud and respect the way you talk about and use your tech!
    bhatech likes this.
    05-01-2017 02:00 PM
    I wish side sync worked via bluetooth
    coolioe93 likes this.
    05-01-2017 03:07 PM
    For those talking about Apple having better battery life - I honestly think the s8+ is comparable if not better than the 7 plus. Anyone else ? 🤔
    Qc_Anubis likes this.
    05-01-2017 03:55 PM
    For those talking about Apple having better battery life - I honestly think the s8+ is comparable if not better than the 7 plus. Anyone else ? 🤔
    Yeah I have them both, very comparable. Not used the iPhone 7 plus as daily driver for quite sometime now but had no issues making the end of day with 7 plus and same with S8+.
    05-01-2017 10:23 PM
    Interesting to read all of the reviews and comparisons. I purchased a note 7 and when I had to give it up I got an iPhone 7 plus. I love it, it just works. But I'm considering giving the s8 plus a shot. I always have my hesitations though.
    05-02-2017 09:36 AM
    Interesting to read all of the reviews and comparisons. I purchased a note 7 and when I had to give it up I got an iPhone 7 plus. I love it, it just works. But I'm considering giving the s8 plus a shot. I always have my hesitations though.
    Don't Delay switch today. At least you get 14 days to try it out. If you don't like it then it was a fun trail period. If you like it then it was the best decision ever
    weesy and bchain996 like this.
    05-02-2017 10:47 AM
    This is very true. I'm doing some research and reading on it today, but am definitely leaning towards making it happen.
    05-02-2017 10:50 AM
    Wow, what a big step, OP! So glad you are loving your Samsung S8+!
    05-02-2017 11:03 AM
    If you are first time convert from Apple, do yourself a favor and explore the real benefits of Android vs iOS before making your final decision whether or not stay in Android land.

1) Download some different key apps than what came preinstalled on the S8: email, web browser, calendar, text. Just google "best xxx app for android" to find some lists. I personally install the following on every Android phone I have: Aquamail pro, Digical pro, Android Messages and Opera mini browser. The great thing about Android is that you can make these apps the default app, so when you click a link your new browser opens, click on an email address and your new email app opens. This is the true strength of Andoid - choice.

2)Download a launcher program to totally customize most things about your phone. I use Nova. Then download some icon packs and apply them in the launcher settings. Google "how to use xxx launcher" and you will find some good tutorial videos. You can totally change the look of your phone very easily using this method.

To me, these strengths outweigh not having iMessage and the slightly better app selection that iOS supposedly has.
    05-04-2017 05:22 AM
    Yeah I had the Note 7. Loved that phone. Didn't want to get an older S7 Edge after the recall so I went with the iPhone 7 Plus. Good phone for sure but damn I love the S8+. Battery life is definitely on the same lines as the 7 Plus.

Love the screen
    Battery life
    Freedom
    Design.

Just a great phone. Very happy.
    jamezr likes this.
    05-04-2017 05:30 AM
    Just google "best xxx app for android"
    Hey, man - this is a family-friendly forum, so keep it in your pants.
    05-04-2017 05:01 PM
    Good job turning away from The Dark Side.
    Welcome to The Rebellion.

Mav.
    I thought we were the dark side?!?!
    05-04-2017 05:17 PM
    I don't know. The design and screen on this trump the 7 plus alone !
    Yes yes they do however, what about when iphone 8 or whatever itll be called drops later this yer? Are you gonna be saying the same thing?

After all, youre comparing your new toy to a year old phone.
    05-04-2017 05:21 PM
    I thought we were the dark side?!?!
    Apple = The Galactic Empire
    05-04-2017 05:22 PM
    I nearly had an iPhone 7 plus after the note 7 fiasco last year. I went to pre order it the first day pre orders started and it was on backorder. I mean I was on the order screen ready to place the order. I'm glad I got the S7 Edge and held off for the S8 Plus. It is a superior phone compared to any iPhone.

That being said, if I had my Note 7 still I wouldn't have bought the s8 plus as for other than the slightly faster processor, it's nearly the same specs wise as the Note 7. I would have kept the Note 7 and wait for the Note 8.
    05-04-2017 05:35 PM
    Don't do it - you'll regret it if you have other apple devices at home and are used to everything just working together seamlessly.
    Bertolus likes this.
    05-05-2017 11:43 PM
53 123