Did you keep your S8 / S8+?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Did you end up keeping the S8 or S8+? I admit it was a very pretty and beautiful phone (probably the best looking Samsung phone to date), but I didn't like the shape and feel of the S8 Plus that I had so I turned it back in and got my old phone back. Bixby button is located in an inconvenient spot as well as the fingerprint scanner. The only thing I would get an S8 for is to use the Gear VR. I would've kept it if the placement of buttons were in a better position. I'd rather get a Note 7 if they started to resell them, at least the screen is not too curvy and easier to hold.

EDIT: Also I wasn't very impressed with the camera, not much different than the S7. The loudspeaker also was disappointing, but that's how it is with water-resistant phones. I would've probably prefer the regular S8 because the S8 Plus was awkwardly too long. Touchwiz felt slightly laggy (I'm coming from a V20 which has one of the fastest OS experience). The price was too much, $850 plus tax was $932, not worth it. I rather keep my V20 which is $300 cheaper.

Last edited:

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Did you end up keeping the S8 or S8+? I admit it was a very pretty and beautiful phone (probably the best looking Samsung phone to date), but I didn't like the shape and feel of the S8 Plus that I had so I turned it back in and got my old phone back. Bixby button is located in an inconvenient spot as well as the fingerprint scanner. The only thing I would get an S8 for is to use the Gear VR. I would've kept it if the placement of buttons were in a better position. I'd rather get a Note 7 if they started to resell them, at least the screen is not too curvy and easier to hold.
What's your old phone? I turned in my 7edge, jumped to the s8plus. I had it for a few days first then decided I really like the 8+ so off went the 7edge

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I got rid of mine. The screen had pink, but it just didn't feel right after my Pixel. I actually think that I might prefer the regular S8 instead size wise, but I'm going to hold off for now.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I'm keeping both! LOL

No, doubt this is Samsung best work. FPS location aside of course, at least they kept the 3.5mm headphone jack.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I sold my Samsung Galaxy s7 edge and chose the s8 which I picked up on Friday 28th.

For me I changed from my previous phone to the s8 because....

Newer faster optimised Exynos Chip.
Slightly longer screen. (S8+ was just too long for me.)
The change in width makes it so much more comfortable to hold.
As the edges are not as pronounced there is far fewer accidental touches.
Additional options to unlock.

In regards to the Bixby Button I've yet to accidentally press it although I do agree that perhaps Samsung shouldn't have pushed that on the phone or at least allow full access to ReMap it and not try and block this.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm keeping mine, at least until the Note 8. I love the FPS, screen size and display, fast and efficient 835 chip, battery life, camera ect. The weaknesses for me are the slightly off oled colors, unfinished Bixby and a sense that Samsung tried to stuff in too much.

But the plusses out way the minuses, and this bad boy is the perfect placeholder until the next Note or Pixel.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm keeping my phone. I've had no issues so far. My experience has been better than the one I had with the S7 edge.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm keeping my phone. I've had no issues so far. My experience has been better than the one I had with the S7 edge.
What 7edge issues did you have. Mine got very hot, lagged, often the notification pull down bar wouldn't work at all, then the size issue for me-screen was too narrow and appeared distorted with the edge curve angle. It was too small.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I quite like the device, fits my hand nicely.
Only gripe I have is the ruddy location keeps turning itself on, despite me killing all permissions...
Screen not that bright in sunlight I have to say...

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps rubes like me are the ultimate litmus for the 8+. I posted about how the display ratio sucked for content many times, but forgot to cancel my preorder. BB called me, I decided to test it out for a week to confirm my disdain for the display and post back "I told you so". Instead, a lot of good stuff overrode my perception:

-Speed (even taxing emulators do great) The 835 is much faster than the 820/821.
-Call quality
-Signal Reception
-Thermals (device does not get hot like the Note 7 or Pixel)
-Battery life is significantly better than the already good Note 7 when it was in powersave mode, but the 8+ is not in power save mode. Impressive stuff.
-Sound quality and volume from 3.5 jack
-Bluetooth stability
-Wiz is finally really worthy- but still needs horizontal view
-Performance tweaks are very good options
-Camera is even better and lower light pics near stunning good
-Like the Note 7, the FM radio works
-Even the display ratio is good for some apps- especially emulators since more room for controls.

I still would prefer the Note 7 display ratio but dang, the other stuff outweighs far more than expected. Still makes no sense why no stereo speakers though. Almost a glaring omission IMO, but the 8+ still rocks hard.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
What 7edge issues did you have. Mine got very hot, lagged, often the notification pull down bar wouldn't work at all, then the size issue for me-screen was too narrow and appeared distorted with the edge curve angle. It was too small.
Mine would lag then occasionally freeze for about 5 seconds and no buttons work. It would also randomly close apps. What I hated the most was the accidental touches.

jerseygirl

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I was trying to hold out for the Note 8, but my old Note 4 was having horrible battery issues. I'm really enjoying this phone and am especially impressed with the screen and battery life. This phone doesn't make me feel like I "settled" at all.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I was trying to hold out for the Note 8, but my old Note 4 was having horrible battery issues. I'm really enjoying this phone and am especially impressed with the screen and battery life. This phone doesn't make me feel like I "settled" at all.
There seems to be quite a few people who intended on waiting for the Note 8 (including myself) but fell victim to the S8/S8+

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I've kept line so far. Will see how long it lasts. Beautiful phone just having to get used to the difference from Pixel.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc