Reaction to Retina Scan?

Jon44

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I'll be first to suggest this could be entirely psychosomatic (but feel free to post snide responses anyway), but I feel a slight dizziness after doing the retina scan--feels like a much milder version of when you go to optometrist and they do retina exams with very bright lights.
Since I also know I'm very suggestible-just curious if anyone else has experienced this?

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Are you looking directly into that red IR LED that lights up? That might cause it. Look directly at screen like it says. I use it daily ,no issues here. But first few times I looked into that red LED and it temporarily made my eyes hurt. Same hurt as looking directly into any bright light.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I hated it when I had the Note 7 and that hasn't changed with the S8/+.

Not sure if it's because I wear RX glasses or I'm just not holding it right but it's a PITA for me. Setting it up is easy my issue is afterwards.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I remember when the Note was out that someone from Droid Life mentioned not liking the Iris scanner because it also affected his eyes in similar fashion. For most it probably won't affect most.

If I recall there Samsung put warning message too before using it... suggesting using the scanner at 9.8 (25 cm) to 13.8 inches (35 cm) from your face. This is probably due to concerns that the infrared beam could cause harm after regular use at close distances. Also suggested that it shouldn't be allowed for babies or small children to use the iris scanner.

Did Samsung carry over those warnings to the S8?

I'll be first to suggest this could be entirely psychosomatic (but feel free to post snide responses anyway), but I feel a slight dizziness after doing the retina scan--feels like a much milder version of when you go to optometrist and they do retina exams with very bright lights.
Since I also know I'm very suggestible-just curious if anyone else has experienced this?

Viscomi4444

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
I remember when the Note was out that someone from Droid Life mentioned not liking the Iris scanner because it also affected his eyes in similar fashion. For most it probably won't affect most.

If I recall there Samsung put warning message too before using it... suggesting using the scanner at 9.8 (25 cm) to 13.8 inches (35 cm) from your face. This is probably due to concerns that the infrared beam could cause harm after regular use at close distances. Also suggested that it shouldn't be allowed for babies or small children to use the iris scanner.

No, in that video he said he THOUGHT he read that the retina scanner effected your eye sight.

He laughed while saying it.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I'll be first to suggest this could be entirely psychosomatic (but feel free to post snide responses anyway), but I feel a slight dizziness after doing the retina scan

If you don't feel comfortable using the Iris scanner then just use one of the many other unlocking methods. 😃

just because no one else feels dizzy while doing it doesn't mean it's not happening to you. It could be all in your head but again, if it worries you then just the fingerprint scanner instead.

I haven't had any problems with the scanners on previous devices, but just make sure you not looking directly at the light and look more at the screen.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site

The distance is more for the sensor to read you best. It's focal range is preset to be in focus at those distance ranges. Anything closer and your iris is out of focus for the scanner, can't read. Any further and it's just too far away to get a detailed reading.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The distance is more for the sensor to read you best. It's focal range is preset to be in focus at those distance ranges. Anything closer and your iris is out of focus for the scanner, can't read. Any further and it's just too far away to get a detailed reading.

The minimum distance is also to protect your eyes. Any closer than that and it could hurt them.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It wouldn't surprise me if some peoples eyes may not take kindly to this way of unlocking.

GizmoEV

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
Coming from a Microsoft Lumia 950XL, I was surprised that setup didn't allow multiple reads with and without corrective lenses and different lighting conditions. When the S8 iris scan works it is faster than the 950XL but it is significantly less reliable for me because I wear bifocals.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Mine works okay, but I feel like I have to move the phone around too much sometimes or open my eyes wider than what I might feel is necessary. I never tried it on my Note 7, so this is the first I have used it.

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
I wear RX glasses and the iris scanner has worked very well, much better than the one on the Note 7 did. Face recognition has been a bust though.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
What I don't understand is why the iris-scan LED is any riskier than the notification LEDs or the screen itself, which seems at least as bright. Is the IR frequency somehow worse?

Viscomi4444

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
What I don't understand is why the iris-scan LED is any riskier than the notification LEDs or the screen itself, which seems at least as bright. Is the IR frequency somehow worse?
Well the Iris scanner flashes faster. The flashes in quick succession can cause seizures. It's basically just to cover Samsung's ***.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781