05-07-2017 06:18 PM
82 1234
tools
    Most people use a case, so all the "plastic looks/feels cheap" arguments become pretty silly for the vast majority.
    This logic can also be applied to the people complaining about the glass back. Why does it matter if you're just going to slap a case on it? Goes both ways.
    05-01-2017 03:22 PM
    This logic can also be applied to the people complaining about the glass back. Why does it matter if you're just going to slap a case on it? Goes both ways.
    Thats very true. I know that at least for me, I do love the shininess of the phone!
    05-01-2017 03:24 PM
    We don't seem to be understanding each other, so I'll try one more time to explain this. The question was, why does Samsung use glass on the backs of their phones? Someone came in and answered that they do that because of wireless charging. I then said that made no sense, because you can still put a rubber or leather case over your glass backed phone, and STILL achieve reliable wireless charging. Therefore, glass is not used for wireless charging reasons, because other materials on a case still allow for wireless charging. I pointed out multiple other phones I've owned with glass backs that I had cases on, that all had functional wireless charging
    05-01-2017 03:39 PM
    Increase sales. Design.
    05-01-2017 03:47 PM
    Absolutely. Design is the biggest part of it. Thatll inevitably increase sales.
    05-01-2017 03:58 PM
    - Wireless "FAST" Charging

- Premium look and feel

- Stronger bands (signal output)

There's always more than one reason to make such a drastic change.
    eric002, LineKill and Jon44 like this.
    05-01-2017 06:00 PM

- Premium look and feel

I couldn't agree more!
    05-01-2017 06:01 PM

- Premium look and feel

Gotta disagree. S7 active has everyone of those features and does not use a glass back.

Glass is absolutely not necessary for wireless charging.
    recDNA likes this.
    05-01-2017 06:13 PM
    Gotta disagree. S7 active has everyone of those features and does not use a glass back.

Glass is absolutely not necessary for wireless charging.
    Where did I say it was necessary? That's how this stuff starts. People read what they want into what you say.
    LineKill likes this.
    05-01-2017 06:18 PM
    Where did I say it was necessary? That's how this stuff starts. People read what they want into what you say.
    Because you've mentioned it more than once as a reason for a glass back in this thread.

Also, I separated the 2 comments because the 2nd wasnt directed towards you but as a response to the thread in general.
    05-01-2017 06:19 PM
    Because you've mentioned it more than once as a reason for a glass back in this thread.
    A reason, yes. Not a necessity. There are others ways to charge wirelessly. Using glass as a material is more effective for Samsung to achieve wireless fast charging.

LG and others are adopting the same method.
    05-01-2017 06:21 PM
    A reason, yes. Not a necessity. There are others ways to charge wirelessly. Using glass as a material is more effective for Samsung to achieve wireless fast charging.
    But it's not, and the active line is proof of that. Glass does not equal fast wireless charging in any way.
    05-01-2017 06:22 PM
    The only reason for glass is for the "premium" look people demanded for years. Samsung themselves have proven they don't need glass for any features they currently use by releasing those same features in the S7 active and soon to be released S8 active.

The problem is, consumers complained until they got what they wanted and now want what they had back.
    05-01-2017 06:26 PM
    Wireless charging and signal is what I'm going with (like others have mentioned). Rumor has it that Apple will go back to glass so they can get in the wireless charging game.
    LineKill likes this.
    05-01-2017 06:29 PM
    05-01-2017 06:35 PM
    Wireless charging and signal is what I'm going with (like others have mentioned). Rumor has it that Apple will go back to glass so they can get in the wireless charging game.
    That would be a good explanation if they didn't make a non glass version that had the same wireless charging and signal as the glass versions. The problem is they do make a non glass phone with those things.

I think Apple's just trying to keep up with Samsung at this point. They've got to know people are getting bored of the same design and os. Them going glass, seems to me, more of a design upgrade than anything functional.
    05-01-2017 06:37 PM
    The only reason for glass is for the "premium" look people demanded for years. Samsung themselves have proven they don't need glass for any features they currently use by releasing those same features in the S7 active and soon to be released S8 active.

The problem is, consumers complained until they got what they wanted and now want what they had back.
    Over simplified reasoning. It's not this simple.
    05-01-2017 06:37 PM
    Over simplified reasoning. It's not thus simple
    Then what's the reason? Wireless charging and signal levels are off the table as proven by the Active line. So what else could be the reason besides looks?
    05-01-2017 06:38 PM
    But it's not, and the active line is proof of that. Glass does not equal fast wireless charging in any way.
    You're not getting what I'm saying. I don't disagree with what you're saying. But glass does allow for faster, more effective wireless charging. I've already posted the reasoning above.
    05-01-2017 06:39 PM
    You're not getting what I'm saying. I don't disagree with what you're saying. But glass does allow for faster, more effective wireless charging.
    So your saying the Active doesn't charge as efficiently as the S7 or edge? Ampere shows the same charge roughly on all 3 devices. They also all 3 utilize the same chargers. I see no variance in efficiency anywhere. All fast charge wirelessly, and all 3 have the same signal ratings.
    05-01-2017 06:41 PM
    That would be a good explanation if they didn't make a non glass version that had the same wireless charging and signal as the glass versions. The problem is they do make a non glass phone with those things.

I think Apple's just trying to keep up with Samsung at this point. They've got to know people are getting bored of the same design and os. Them going glass, seems to me, more of a design upgrade than anything functional.
    You're right, it doesn't have to be glass. With the right back cover, the Note 4 had wireless charging capabilities.
    05-01-2017 06:57 PM
    So your saying the Active doesn't charge as efficiently as the S7 or edge? Ampere shows the same charge roughly on all 3 devices. They also all 3 utilize the same chargers. I see no variance in efficiency anywhere. All fast charge wirelessly, and all 3 have the same signal ratings.
    Again, you're speaking in absolutes to prove some point. There are degrees to what I'm talking about.

"Although many Android phones support wireless charging with plastic and metal chassis, the report says Apple’s switch to a glass casing for iPhone 8 will enable wireless charging at fast speeds with minimum disruption from frequency interference".
    05-01-2017 06:58 PM
    Again, you're speaking in absolutes to prove some point. There are degrees to what I'm talking about.

"Although many Android phones support wireless charging with plastic and metal chassis, the report says Apple’s switch to a glass casing for iPhone 8 will enable wireless charging at fast speeds with minimum disruption from frequency interference".
    They could also reverse the design and put the glass on the wireless chargers over the coils instead of tpu. Put tpu on the phone for a more durable device. You'd have the exact same connection materials we have now.

In terms of "efficiency", there are no reports the active charges any less efficient than the glass backed S7 edge or flat S7. Yes it's for minimal interference but I don't see any reports of interference being a issue on any tpu devices that wirelessly fast charge.
    05-01-2017 07:02 PM
    They could also reverse the design and put the glass on the wireless chargers over the coils instead of tpu. Put tpu on the phone for a more durable device. You'd have the exact same connection materials we have now.

In terms of "efficiency", there are no reports the active charges any less efficient than the glass backed S7 edge or flat S7. Yes it's for minimal interference but I don't see any reports of interference being a issue on any tpu devices that wirelessly fast charge.
    Don't disagree. My only point was that it's not as simple as "Samsung wants a pretty phone". There are functional reasons for the change as well, at least from Samsung's (and now LG and apple) perspective.
    05-01-2017 07:12 PM
    Don't disagree. My only point was that it's not as simple as "Samsung wants a pretty phone". There are functional reasons for the change as well, at least from Samsung's (and now LG and apple) perspective.
    It is pretty though lol.

I hope you don't take offense to debating your reasons. Don't mean to offend you, I just don't buy in to the reasonings they give for glass.

With as many people that place a case over the phone, I'd think they'd want to use materials to make those cases unnecessary. That's one thing I loved about the S7 active, no case needed.
    05-01-2017 07:15 PM
82 1234