What's the Point of Having a (Slippery) Glass Back?

Jon44

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I've already dropped my S8 once, and, just to reaffirm my trust in the universe, is there a rational reason for making the back glass? Note 4 had rubberized plastic on the back and while it maybe didn't exude as premium a vibe as S8, the thing stuck to your hand and was a pleasure to handle.
Is Samsung being logical or trendy?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I've already dropped my S8 onces and, just to reaffirm my trust in the universe, is there a rational reason for making the back glass? Note 4 had rubberized plastic on the back and while it maybe didn't exude as premium a vibe as S8, the thing stuck to your hand and was a pleasure to handle.
Is Samsung being logical or trendy?
About the only reason I can think of a glass back is it looks good. I will agree that its slippery but I don't mind the slipperiness not sure why but it's ok with me. Mostly because it is barely show fingerprints. I would say just yet get a case. I bought a case off amazon for five bucks are red and gold trim the case that I get to me in a few weeks.

madgalaxy

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Style and wireless charging. Humans like shinny things - cars, wheels, jewelry, stars. Samsung is heavily invested in wireless charging so it is not going away anytime soon. Beside they know MOST people will slap a case on it.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Style and wireless charging. Humans like shinny things - cars, wheels, jewelry, stars. Samsung is heavily invested in wireless charging so it is not going away anytime soon. Beside they know MOST people will slap a case on it.
You don't know something, I completely agree with you. I actually love the styling of the s8 which includes the full backing and fronting of the glass panels.

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
I like the glass, it is a nice premium look and feel. I also would be ok with metal but the wireless charging would not work with that. I really like the wireless charging, it is a great feature,

However currently the case i am using is interfering with my wireless charging, i need to make a decision there.

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Wireless charging.
Then explain how there is no such thing as a glass case, but yet you can get cases out of rubber, leather, etc that still allow for wireless charging...

I rely on wireless charging, and have since the glass backed Note 5, Note 7, S7 Edge, and now the S8+. I have used cases on all of them, and wireless charging works awesome.

Samsung used glass, in part because it is a trend set by Apple, in part because it is sleek looking and feeling, etc

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I like the glass, it is a nice premium look and feel. I also would be ok with metal but the wireless charging would not work with that. I really like the wireless charging, it is a great feature,

However currently the case i am using is interfering with my wireless charging, i need to make a decision there.

Wireless charging and appearance of premium value.

Otterbox, Seidio, UAG, Spigen and Ballistic make wireless charger friendly cases. Defender, a slimmer than prior versions, has no issues with wireless charging.

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
Wireless charging and appearance of premium value.

Otterbox, Seidio, UAG, Spigen and Ballistic make wireless charger friendly cases. Defender, a slimmer than prior versions, has no issues with wireless charging.

The current case i am using (and i like a lot) is a Lumion wallet style case. The wireless charging does work just is not as "powerful" with this case on it (vs using no case). Not sure if this is because it may sit weird on the charger or what. I am using last years version of the samsung charger stand.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I've already dropped my S8 once, and, just to reaffirm my trust in the universe, is there a rational reason for making the back glass? Is Samsung being logical or trendy?

I think it's a bit of both. Glass is generally nice to look at and you can achieve certain colours or effects through reflection of light. An example of this would be the 'Honor 8'. :)

Another reason for glass is obviously for wireless charging (as other have mentioned), while there are ways to charge through metal, OEMs seems to stick with glass just to be safe.

Another is for better cellular connection. We see devices like the iPhone 7. They have to have plastic areas around the phone to let the cellular radio waves 'enter' the device :)

Glass is also not the greatest at holding heat, so you device will feel cool to the touch more often. Which some prefer. Maybe it's also cheaper to manufacture compared to aluminum or stainless steel?

I personally love the LG V10 back. We need more material devices. :D

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I think it's a bit of both. Glass is generally nice to look at and you can achieve certain colours or effects through reflection of light. An example of this would be the 'Honor 8'. :)

Another reason for glass is obviously for wireless charging (as other have mentioned), while there are ways to charge through metal, OEMs seems to stick with glass just to be safe.

Another is for better cellular connection. We see devices like the iPhone 7. They have to have plastic areas around the phone to let the cellular radio waves 'enter' the device :)

Glass is also not the greatest at holding heat, so you device will feel cool to the touch more often. Which some prefer. Maybe it's also cheaper to manufacture compared to aluminum or stainless steel?

I personally love the LG V10 back. We need more material devices. :D
Ys know j didn't think of the glass backing good for reception but that's absolutely right! That's why the pixel phones have the glass panel on the back as well. Overall, kudos to samsung for making s gorgeous phone!

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The current case i am using (and i like a lot) is a Lumion wallet style case. The wireless charging does work just is not as "powerful" with this case on it (vs using no case). Not sure if this is because it may sit weird on the charger or what. I am using last years version of the samsung charger stand.

Does your wallet case have RFID protection? That might impede the ability of the wireless charger.

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Most people use a case, so all the "plastic looks/feels cheap" arguments become pretty silly for the vast majority.

But for Samsung:

- Shiny sells when displayed in store.

- Reviewers, who only use the phone -- a review unit at that -- got just a couple weeks, don't have to sorry about fragility, and instead rave about "style", also sells phones.

- When your phone shatters, Samsung sells more phones.

Really all plus for the phone maker to use glass.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Basically Samsung phones were derided for years for feeling too plasticky so they changed to glass to appease the naysayers.

I quite liked my plastic feeling Note4....

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
You guys still clinging to the wireless charging excuse are not seeing the big picture. If that were the case, these phones wouldn't charge or charge properly wirelessly unless you used a case made out of glass...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tony2