What's the Point of Having a (Slippery) Glass Back?

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Wireless charging and signal is what I'm going with (like others have mentioned). Rumor has it that Apple will go back to glass so they can get in the wireless charging game.
That would be a good explanation if they didn't make a non glass version that had the same wireless charging and signal as the glass versions. The problem is they do make a non glass phone with those things.

I think Apple's just trying to keep up with Samsung at this point. They've got to know people are getting bored of the same design and os. Them going glass, seems to me, more of a design upgrade than anything functional.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
The only reason for glass is for the "premium" look people demanded for years. Samsung themselves have proven they don't need glass for any features they currently use by releasing those same features in the S7 active and soon to be released S8 active.

The problem is, consumers complained until they got what they wanted and now want what they had back.

Over simplified reasoning. It's not this simple.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
But it's not, and the active line is proof of that. Glass does not equal fast wireless charging in any way.

You're not getting what I'm saying. I don't disagree with what you're saying. But glass does allow for faster, more effective wireless charging. I've already posted the reasoning above.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
You're not getting what I'm saying. I don't disagree with what you're saying. But glass does allow for faster, more effective wireless charging.
So your saying the Active doesn't charge as efficiently as the S7 or edge? Ampere shows the same charge roughly on all 3 devices. They also all 3 utilize the same chargers. I see no variance in efficiency anywhere. All fast charge wirelessly, and all 3 have the same signal ratings.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
That would be a good explanation if they didn't make a non glass version that had the same wireless charging and signal as the glass versions. The problem is they do make a non glass phone with those things.

I think Apple's just trying to keep up with Samsung at this point. They've got to know people are getting bored of the same design and os. Them going glass, seems to me, more of a design upgrade than anything functional.
You're right, it doesn't have to be glass. With the right back cover, the Note 4 had wireless charging capabilities.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
So your saying the Active doesn't charge as efficiently as the S7 or edge? Ampere shows the same charge roughly on all 3 devices. They also all 3 utilize the same chargers. I see no variance in efficiency anywhere. All fast charge wirelessly, and all 3 have the same signal ratings.

Again, you're speaking in absolutes to prove some point. There are degrees to what I'm talking about.

"Although many Android phones support wireless charging with plastic and metal chassis, the report says Apple’s switch to a glass casing for iPhone 8 will enable wireless charging at fast speeds with minimum disruption from frequency interference".

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Again, you're speaking in absolutes to prove some point. There are degrees to what I'm talking about.

"Although many Android phones support wireless charging with plastic and metal chassis, the report says Apple’s switch to a glass casing for iPhone 8 will enable wireless charging at fast speeds with minimum disruption from frequency interference".
They could also reverse the design and put the glass on the wireless chargers over the coils instead of tpu. Put tpu on the phone for a more durable device. You'd have the exact same connection materials we have now.

In terms of "efficiency", there are no reports the active charges any less efficient than the glass backed S7 edge or flat S7. Yes it's for minimal interference but I don't see any reports of interference being a issue on any tpu devices that wirelessly fast charge.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
They could also reverse the design and put the glass on the wireless chargers over the coils instead of tpu. Put tpu on the phone for a more durable device. You'd have the exact same connection materials we have now.

In terms of "efficiency", there are no reports the active charges any less efficient than the glass backed S7 edge or flat S7. Yes it's for minimal interference but I don't see any reports of interference being a issue on any tpu devices that wirelessly fast charge.

Don't disagree. My only point was that it's not as simple as "Samsung wants a pretty phone". There are functional reasons for the change as well, at least from Samsung's (and now LG and apple) perspective.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Don't disagree. My only point was that it's not as simple as "Samsung wants a pretty phone". There are functional reasons for the change as well, at least from Samsung's (and now LG and apple) perspective.
It is pretty though lol.

I hope you don't take offense to debating your reasons. Don't mean to offend you, I just don't buy in to the reasonings they give for glass.

With as many people that place a case over the phone, I'd think they'd want to use materials to make those cases unnecessary. That's one thing I loved about the S7 active, no case needed.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I've already dropped my S8 once, and, just to reaffirm my trust in the universe, is there a rational reason for making the back glass? Note 4 had rubberized plastic on the back and while it maybe didn't exude as premium a vibe as S8, the thing stuck to your hand and was a pleasure to handle.
Is Samsung being logical or trendy?

One big reason is wireless charging. It doesn't work with other materials.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I've already dropped my S8 once, and, just to reaffirm my trust in the universe, is there a rational reason for making the back glass? Note 4 had rubberized plastic on the back and while it maybe didn't exude as premium a vibe as S8, the thing stuck to your hand and was a pleasure to handle.
Is Samsung being logical or trendy?

2 reasons:

1: Wireless connectivity which includes wireless charging support and Samsung Pay (Sammy paid $250 million for LoopPay's patented technology, which puts them ahead of all other phones in terms of mobile payments). A metal back exterior casing will block the wireless connections, this is exactly why metal phones have antenna lines. Unless they did what the Pixel did and make an awkward half glass half metal back phone, they will stick with glass (I'd prefer the S8 design over Pixel). It's Gorilla Glass, so it's just as tough as the front glass.

2: Beauty. Who doesn't think the all glass design isn't beautiful. It looks like a piece of diamond jewelry, being all glass and curved. Sure, they did sorta ripped off the look of the iconic iPhone 4, but they had a reason to.

Samsung for the longest time had been made fun of for using low grade materials such as plastic which made creaky sounds when you grip the phone (my S5 was very creaky). However, it made more sense; it allowed for a removable battery (with the option for wireless charging if you purchase a special back casing), and also allowed wireless connections to transmit in and out from the back exterior. It also was much more durable because it's plastic and can't shatter. The majority wants wireless charging, Samsung Pay, and a premium/beautiful phone so that's why we have the S8 today.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Does nobody remember the S7 active is not glass and has every single feature the other phones in that line have? Or did nobody read the last 3 pages before replying.

Tpu does not interfere with wireless charging or Samsung pay.

Wow.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Does nobody remember the S7 active is not glass and has every single feature the other phones in that line have? Or did nobody read the last 3 pages before replying.

Tpu does not interfere with wireless charging or Samsung pay.

Wow.

I've never seen a phone made of tpu.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
It is pretty though lol.

I hope you don't take offense to debating your reasons. Don't mean to offend you, I just don't buy in to the reasonings they give for glass.

With as many people that place a case over the phone, I'd think they'd want to use materials to make those cases unnecessary. That's one thing I loved about the S7 active, no case needed.

No offense. Nothing wrong with going back and forth on an issue . This was nothing compared to the Flossy thread lol

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I was not aware that it was tpu. I can't stand the active phones so I am not familiar with them.
The sides and back are all rubber and it doesn't interfere with wireless fast charging or Samsung pay. I used them both alot and never an issue.

The S7 active, after the debacle of water resistance, was a great phone with a massive 4000ma battery. It was a beast.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Both the wife and me got a case the 2nd day we got our phones.
That took care of the problem of dropping the phones.
Or having them to slide off something that we lay them on.
I got the Otterbox defender screenless case.
its pretty well protected.

Not taking a chance carrying it around naked.
Too nice of a phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781